Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .30-06 or .243

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
I don't get it? This poor guy's going to be so confused trying to figure all this out that he'll probably be too afraid to take the shot!

Instead of approaching ballistics from a conventional zero point-of-view, 'Why' not simply find out what the preferred bullet's ballistic coefficient is and, then, zero the hunting rifle for, 'Maximum Point Blank Range'? It would, all, be so much easier!

As for Jables' original question: In my opinion he would be much better served by a 30-06 than a 243. (And I love the 6mm!) If he does get into reloading later on, the 30-06 will be infinitely more versatile and the same cartridge case could be loaded for everything from prairie dogs to buffaloes.
Because he said this

Quote:
So far I'm enjoying this information. Anymore would be helpful.
And whats wrong with you G21 ? This is America "for the moment until Obama gets elected" You know we don't go for too much of that versatility crap . Hell I'm pushing it with suggesting the 308 being versatile enough to later be downloaded for the his kids when they grow up .

We have to specialize here . We have 22 rimfires for plinking , 22 centerfires for varmits 6mms for little deer and nuisance animals like coyote's .

Then we get to the fun calibers 25 and into the 30's where we all love to argue over .5 inches of drop and 200 ft lbs of energy at 800 yards .

We got the Big guns like the 338 win Mag and 375 H&H for when that killer Water Buff or Kodiak Grizz comes charging through our living rooms and we must defend the family .

As far as your PBR suggestion the man wants help deciding between the 243 and 30-06 hows he gonna know what bullet he wants to use ?

Geeze G you act like you haven't been around while guys hash out the "Stopping Power" difference between a 40 S&W and the 9mm . Get with the act son come on you know how LOL .

Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Big - Again, I understand and respect your opinion. You are obviously not some gun store Uber Hunter who was handed model "A", chambered for cartridge "A" by his old man at the tender age of 5 and has been setting Boone & Crockett records consistantly since then.

I completely understand your recommendation - and even with the Iowa whitetail factored in, I am inclined to agree to disagree on this one round choice.

So, if we can safely reach an accord on this issue, I look forward to reading more of your posts as it is obvious you have some valuable experience.

G21.45 is correct, we have taken this "simple" question and made a mathematical battlefield out of it, so old Jables is going to be swimming in numbers and probably still won't be any closer to picking a cartridge... LOL

So, let's do this:

JABLES -

1) What is your experience with distance shooting for game, not paper target plicking from a rest?

2) What is your intention for the rifle in question?

Big - I hope we can continue to exchange ideas as yours were very well thought out and prepared posts. I have much enjoyed this session of point / counter point. And believe it or not we did the whole thing without any name calling.

JD

Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
JABLES -

1) What is your experience with distance shooting for game, not paper target plicking from a rest?

2) What is your intention for the rifle in question?

Big - I hope we can continue to exchange ideas as yours were very well thought out and prepared posts. I have much enjoyed this session of point / counter point. And believe it or not we did the whole thing without any name calling.

JD
First off, I'm a math geek and love to know drop off a trajectory. My experience with shooting game from a distance is maybe 75 to 100 yards with my ol' mans .243 Most deer I've shot have been less than 25 yards with my shotgun as you just don't have the range to reach out a touch a deer with a 12 gauge. With a shotgun I've probably dropped 20 deer and with a rifle maybe 2, so I am a n00b in hunting deer with a rifle mainly because they only opened this season in the last few years. We have been a no rifle state before that. That aside I will probably learn how to reload and this gun may be used to protection at some point. I really don't know with the climate of this country how many more purchases I'm going to be able to make, so I want the best bang for my buck. I'm not going to get into reloading for prairie dogs It will be for deer and/or protection.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #24

All I said was; '45 acp is better than 9mm!' And, the next thing I know .....

Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #25

Well, given that criteria, I still have to go with the .30-06

However, some stuff to factor is, as mentioned above, is that factory rifles chambered for the .30-06 are not as abundant as those chambered in either .308 or .243

Do you have any special needs for this rifle?

Are you left handed, or need a left hand port ejection?

Do you want a true bolt action rifle, or do you want a semi-auto or a pump/lever gun?

Given that it might be a defense protection rifle, is an internal box magazine holding 4 or 5 rounds enough, IN YOUR MIND? Or, do you want an external box mag that will hold more ammo?

JD

Old 06-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
All I said was; '45 acp is better than 9mm!' And, the next thing I know .....

LMAO!

Frickin awesome....

+1

JD

Old 06-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #27

Protection ??

O boy you just opened up a whole new can of worms LOL !!!

OK JD I'll get the beer you bring the pretzels and lets figure this out , is Light beer ok gotta watch the weight ya know LMAO !!

Jable if it has to be one "Do it all" gun a Garand in 30-06 is hard to beat after all who's really gonna live through a fight with 20-1 odds and your 30 round magazines for your AK , Bad news is those babys ain't cheap ?

Now if your finances can be manipulated and your skills at sucking up to the wife are good enough go with a bolt 06 and a semiauto 308 or even the Russian gem 7.62X39 for the fighting and stock up on milsurplus before it's all gone .

If your farmhouse gets invaded Jable one man with one gun is probably gonna die , so play with the money and find something for the wife and even with her help you're in for some long odds there pal .

Old 06-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #28

Ok, ok, I'm left handed, not I'm not buying a left handed gun. I do just fine with right handed guns. If the SHTF I'm covered. I'm moving to the country with my folks. The old man has an arsenal. .243's .22LR's I think a .308 and I think a .223 various shotguns. Altogether I think he's got 12 to 14 guns. I know he's got enough to all of us. I'm looking for my 1st high powered. If I can and as I can I will get more. I just wanted to know if I should get a .243 or .30-06 first, however, I'm enjoying the info and I think I'm going to start a new thread and link this one on what's that best rifle for what purpose and why, because that's what this is turning into and I'm learning a boat load.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Protection ??

O boy you just opened up a whole new can of worms LOL !!!

OK JD I'll get the beer you bring the pretzels and lets figure this out , is Light beer ok gotta watch the weight ya know LMAO !!

With the way my metabolism has been slowing over the years, I need all the help I can get... How about low salt, sourdough based, low GI pretzels too? LOL

Yeah - Now we are talking a whole 'nother category of rifle to be honest.

We need a checklist of the things that Jables needs this platform to do for him before we go any further....

JD

Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #30

I just wanted to go deer hunting, maybe shoot a few liberals and now look at me: