.30-06 or .243
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .30-06 or .243

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .30-06 or .243

Ok, it's been along time since of posted anything non-political (just can't leave some things left unsaid.) I'm looking at getting a .30-06 or a .243 for Christmas and was wanting some opinions on which would you think would be better. I will be using it for Iowa's January High-Powered deer season. Boxes of ammo at this time are the same price. I will someday probably get into reloading. I hope I have given enough information to help you render a decision. Also, if you pick one, please explain why. This is big purchase for me. I'm a married man with 3 kids so I really don't have a lot of discretionary funds.

Thanks JB

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #2

It kinda depends on the hunting your going to be doing. Both are excellent deer cartridges. The .243 is a pleasure to shoot, with minimum recoil and nice ballistics. The '06 is a classic round that has tons of different load choices and information available. The '06 would also be suitable for hunting bigger critters as well. So if you ever get the itch to go elk hunting you wouldn't need a larger caliber rifle. In my opinion, the .243 is too light of a load for anything bigger than whitetails or muleys. Either way I'm sure you'll bee happy with either cartridge.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Depending on how seriously you're looking at handloading in the future, the .243 would be my choice. Handloading opens up a lot of bullet weights/ designs that are not available as factory loads. It can be loaded with varmint bullets for off season and back up for deer size game. Bullet weights range from 80 grains to 115 grains so there is a decent selection. You could realistically load the '06 up or down to meet those needs as well with a much broader weight selection (110 grain-220 grain), but you'll burn a lot more powder. Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You do know that the 30-06 is God's Own Rifle cartridge don't you??? It's been putting down evil for over a century. Might as well continue for another hundred years....

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
You do know that the 30-06 is God's Own Rifle cartridge don't you??? It's been putting down evil for over a century. Might as well continue for another hundred years....
Maybe that's why I'm leaning towards .30-06, could it be the Almighty leading me in that direction?

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally, I'd go with the .30-06. You mentioned this being a big purchase for you as my 06 was for me so I understand completely. As mentioned you can use it for anything from groundhogs to black bear! The .243 is great for deer but it just isn't enough for an elk, moose or bear should you ever want to hunt those. The .30-06 is one the best, if not the best all around rifle cartridge. If you want to be able to hunt anything in North America with one rifle, the .30-06 is your best bet.

I don't know which models you're looking at but take a good look at the Mossberg ATR. I LOVE mine! I put a Nikon on top and at 100yds I can shoot a 5 shot group all touching using factory ammo. Its inexpensive and functions bueatuifully. I bought mine to drag thru the woods so I didn't want (or could I afford) a $900 rifle. just my $.02.....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

For what it's worth, Carlos Hathcock used a .30-06 to record almost all of his 93 confirmed kills in active combat.

-06 is a hell of a round. Hard to beat it, but it's punishing if you don't have a heavy weapon. Get some light barreled sporter model and you might be regretting it.

That said, the .243 is a hell of a good round too. I agree it lacks some of the punch of -06, but damn is it a sweet shooting round.

Hard to choose - I would say .30-06 first and then a .243 later.

JD

Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Way to bring Hathcock into it!! Not a Marine are you Dillinger??

Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Way to bring Hathcock into it!! Not a Marine are you Dillinger??
I can't tell if you are f*cking with me or not, so I am going with not and giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Nope. Not a Marine, but I spent some time with them while I was overseas. Those boys sure can shoot. And drink....

Hathcock, love him or hate him, was every bit as much a poster Marine as Chesty Puller was. They both put it all on the line for their fellow Marines, and anyone who knows one, knows how important that is...

JD

Old 06-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm not messing with you. I'm a Marine and hearing someone bring up Hathcock and now Chesty sparks some pride. and yes, Marines can shoot!