Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   270 win weatherby vanguard s2 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/270-win-weatherby-vanguard-s2-66372/)

Mitch_C 06-13-2012 09:02 PM

270 win weatherby vanguard s2

Just bought a weatherby vanguard s2. In 270 win. I was just after anybody's thoughts on either the vanguard s2 or the 270 caliber or both. I don't have the rifle in possession yet cause of the cooling of period. I get to pick it up in about 20 days from now. Stupid laws

375Holland 06-14-2012 01:58 PM

The 270 is a good flat shooting cartridge that you can feel pretty safe taking anything in North America with, I would step it up a notch if going after anything like grizzly or moose simply because of their enormous size and a grizzly's tendency to get mad quick. I've heard good things about the vanguards but never used one myself. I do know that it's a Howa action and they come with an accuracy guarantee from Weatherby.

hardluk1 06-14-2012 04:14 PM

Good rifle and caliber choice. Before going out and shooting it take your time to unde stand it and clean well. You do want to use a heavy libe on the recoil lugs on the backedges and sides and it would be good to follow a barrel break in froma a barrel company like Krieger. My not make it shoot better but will aid in easier cleaning and less chance fo coppering your new barrel.

Mitch_C 06-14-2012 07:51 PM

Thanx guys. I live in Australia, so bears aren't usually a problem

What do you mean by barrel break?

ChicagoJoe 06-15-2012 02:35 AM

Mitch, Weatherby will provide directions on how to break in the barrel of your Vanguard S2. Break-in involves cleaning the barrel after each round for the first 20 rounds or so to prevent fouling.

Mitch_C 06-15-2012 02:44 AM

Cool. I'll look it up. I'm new to large caliber rifles as I only own a 22. But i have fired quite a few different large calibers but not new ones

Axxe55 06-15-2012 03:11 AM

Mitch i don't think that either the rifle or the caliber are bad choices. both are great IMO. i own a 270 and have had at least one in that caliber for as long as i can remember. it does have a sharp recoil, but it is also very flat shooting and accurate. the Vanguard is a very good rifle and gets good reviews and one i would give consideration into buying. i think you made a very good choice in rifle and caliber. good luck and enjoy it.

Mitch_C 06-15-2012 03:23 AM

Cool. Sounds like I made a good choice. Can't wait till I pick it up.

Mitch_C 06-19-2012 12:36 PM

Does anybody have any hints on what grain ammunition I should use. I will be shooting. Feral cats, foxes, rabbits, up to pigs hopefully. Oh and a bit of target shooting at as far away as possible. (I'm trying to learn/practice a bit of long range shooting).

Muliemaster 06-19-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch_C
Does anybody have any hints on what grain ammunition I should use. I will be shooting. Feral cats, foxes, rabbits, up to pigs hopefully. Oh and a bit of target shooting at as far away as possible. (I'm trying to learn/practice a bit of long range shooting).

130 grain for small stuff, cats, moles, rats, ect 150 grain for deer size critters by crocky