.270 Win. or .270 WSM..Need Opinions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .270 Win. or .270 WSM..Need Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf4 View Post
Hello matt,
Ordered a Weatherby Vanguard .270....It should be in sometimes monday or tuesday.....Gonna go with a Leupold scope...Was looking at the Mark 2 Hunter...Any comments on that particular scope...

http://leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-2-riflescopes/mark-2-3-9x40mm-hunter/

Need some opinions here...This is my first adventure with bolt action rifles...So, knowledge is a little short around here....WhiteWolf4
Nice rifle. Did you go synthetic or wood?

Honestly, I'd avoid anything tactical unless you need it. It tends to complicate things. You might want to look at the less expensive Leupold lines like the VX-II 3-9x50. It'll cost about $100 less, but it'll get you a larger objective and essentially the same glass. Also, it can be had without the complicated tactical reticles.

If you've got a huge 12x12 elk in your crosshairs, do you want to dial things in quickly and take the shot, or be forced to second guess big knobs and an odd reticle?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-30-2008 at 05:06 AM.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #12

Hmmm, I'll take your advice and take a look at the other scope...Saving $100 would be nice...Thanks...That's the kind of knowledge I need...I went synthetic...I like the idea of synthetic for hunting....

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf4 View Post
Hmmm, I'll take your advice and take a look at the other scope...Saving $100 would be nice...Thanks...That's the kind of knowledge I need...I went synthetic...I like the idea of synthetic for hunting....
You save $100, get a centimeter larger objective, you get more zoom, you get the same quality glass and same warranty, but you lose the complicated "tactical" features.

Tactical things are generally useless, even for those in tactical situations. They become so specialized that the average person has no use for them. If you don't need to take life or death shots at varying ranges with little or no thought on a daily basis, avoid tactical scopes.

If you're going to pop a bull elk and a couple of deer every year, the VX-II line is plenty of scope.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Vanguard is a good decision, I have one in 30 06 and love it, and planning to get one in 25 06. Varixll is a good decision on the glass. Great setup.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 11-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #15

Thanks DKA for the info...WhiteWolf