Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 270 vs 308 for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 270 vs 308 for hunting

I have used both firearms with much success and love them both. I used the SR 25 in the ARMY and loved it and the 270 for othe ops and would love to know what you think for a hunting rifle in Florida around the panhandle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Liked 1082 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Either one would suffice !

When all else fails.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Both are very reliable meat getters. The .270 has a flatter trajectory, and I think more velocity. For deer hunting at ranges of 50-200 meters, with good shot placement, no problem with either one.

I asked an old timer one time "what's the best hunting round?" he said "What do you shoot best?"

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Either round is very suffecient for any game up to Elk. If you load your own ammo, I really would settle for the 308, in that you can load bullets up to 200gr for really good knock down and the 308 can be loaded from mild to extreme target shooting. Just ask any Sniper. It virtually compares to the 30-06 in every way except for brass length. The 270 being a necked down version of a 30-06, actually started as a Wildcat cartridge many years ago, and it had such a following that it became an everyday caliber and plenty of Mom/Pop stores carry both for those times you go hunting and forget your ammo at home. Good choice in either caliber---now what gun are you choosing? Also, why would you rule out a 243, which is a necked down 308? Very capable caliber also for up to White Tail Deer. Just asking.
Del

Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

I used a 308 in the ARMY, have shot the 270 & 243 and like both. I am just used to the 308 and wanted some opinions on other options. Being a disabled veteran makes the funds an issue also, that is one of the reasons I am looking at the Remington 770. All the reviews say for the money, it is a great out of the box set up. I am up for suggestions in any caliber rifle, I just love the knock down of the 308.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #6

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Sounds like you picked a very good round. Don't know much about the new Remingtons that are being built nowadays, and I'll take your word about the model 770. I do know that the Remington model 710 had lots of problems, while the model 700, they want an arm/leg for, but has been around for Decades. You might also want to check out a Savage 110 with it's Accu-Trigger or if you want a cheaper model, but without the Accu-trigger, check out a Stevens(now owned by Savage). They're very well built rifles and some say that they'll outshoot guns costing thousands of dollars. I own a older Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 which I'm well pleased, and the newer ones now have "LTR"(lightning trigger action) which compares with Savage Accu-trigger, and they've proven themselves to be well built rifles, though just not as pretty as other rifles, but their cost is also cheaper. Also own a Weatherby Vanguard in 243 which is made by Howa(Japan) and it's been a very capable rifle for being less than $500.
Del

Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19874 Times on 11289 Posts
Likes Given: 50109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpojohn View Post
I used a 308 in the ARMY, have shot the 270 & 243 and like both. I am just used to the 308 and wanted some opinions on other options. Being a disabled veteran makes the funds an issue also, that is one of the reasons I am looking at the Remington 770. All the reviews say for the money, it is a great out of the box set up. I am up for suggestions in any caliber rifle, I just love the knock down of the 308.
the 308, the 270 and the 243 are excellent calibers. as a past owner of a remington 770, IMO, one of the worst guns i ever had the pleasure of getting rid of! savage also has the newer Axis series of rifles, very accurate and very affordable, and not bad looking rifles. marlin has the X7 series, very accurate and good looking IMO (i own three, 308, 7mm-08 and 25-06) also very affordable, the stevens 200, and then there are nice used rifles if you check the gun stores and pawn shops.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would have to opt for the 308 only because of availability and cost of ammo. I also like the diversity of bullet weights available. I wouldn't rule out the 30.06. Which rifle is very subjective to individual prefrences but Savage-Stevens has recently developed a very good rep for out of the box accuracy and value dollar for dollar. I have a Stevens 200 that shoots less than 1 MOA the first 3 shots and holds zero well, the group opens up when the barrel gets hot but not too drastically. Great hunting rifle.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #9

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

from what i've read here on this forum, DO NOT get suckered into buying the 770.

my next rifle will be a Remington Model 700 BDL .308 Win. i WILL pay for it, b/c it WON'T be one of those current, crappy, POS models that Remington is trying to pawn off on the know-nuthins! it'll be a REAL Model 700 of years gone by.

by-the-way, i deer hunt with my Ruger M77 .270 Win and have been since 2001, and just last year bought a Winchester Model 70 'Coyote' in .243 Win, i will be givin the hawgs hell this year with it!

so there you have it..........although, as you can tell, my opinion may be a little bit biased. LMAO

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpojohn View Post
I have used both firearms with much success and love them both. I used the SR 25 in the ARMY and loved it and the 270 for othe ops and would love to know what you think for a hunting rifle in Florida around the panhandle.
Hands down the .308 because of the huge quantity and quality of commercial loadings and bullet weights. If you handload there are more great .308 bullets than you'll ever have a chance to play with. Bullet availability in the .270 class is somewhat limited. I also like the platforms the .308 is chambered in. I love ultralight rifles and it is nearly impossible to find a real ultralight in a long action. No point in carrying around a 9 ln rifle to hunt with when a sub 7lb rifle will do the same job.

As far as terminal performance between the two, for the game the .308 and .270 are meant for both do just fine. The .308 starts to edge out the .270 in the heavy for caliber loads like the 180-200 gr loads for the .30 cal bullet. But in all fairness if you need a 200 gr bullet in a .308 for the game you are hunting there are many other chanberings that will do a better job for you.