.270 vs .308 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .270 vs .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1911
They're all great calibers. You can read through some Chuck Hawks pages if you want more opinions on the differences too. I think the 270 & 30-06 are great, great cartridges. My latest rifle I went with 308 just to keep stocking ammo a tad easier between it and my 308 AR. Lots of good deals on bulk 308. If it wasn't for that (and its a personal decision), I probably would have gone with 270 or 30-06.

Kaido, which app is that you used?
It's called "isnipe" and is for any I-device. So far it's pretty good. I haven't had a chance to actually see how close it would be to the actual drops yet though. I'm hoping to do that sometime next week....hopefully this week though. Haha

Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #32

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

It's called "isnipe" and is for any I-device. So far it's pretty good. I haven't had a chance to actually see how close it would be to the actual drops yet though. I'm hoping to do that sometime next week....hopefully this week though. Haha
I hope it does, that would help when taking long shots, not that I'll ever take any.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter

I hope it does, that would help when taking long shots, not that I'll ever take any.
Haha yeah it really would help. But we got my buddies 700 (rem mag) on paper and zero'd at 25yards and when we went to take it to 100yards we were really high we kept on backing it out until we got to 300yards and we were only slightly low at that distance. The program said with a 25 yard zero, it would be hitting .38th on an inch low at 275 yards. So as of right now, I'll trust the program to at least get me in the ball park of where I want to be. Haha

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #34

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter View Post
You must be a South Eastern guy. Here is a VG ballistics calculator.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

You must be a South Eastern guy. Here is a VG ballistics calculator.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
Yup, I like mine better haha
Instead of having a gazillion options to go through, it's all done by caliber and then by manufacture.
image-1243002552.jpg   image-720707500.jpg  

Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Yup, I like mine better haha
Instead of having a gazillion options to go through, it's all done by caliber and then by manufacture.
If you would have taken more then 2 seconds, you choose caliber of bullet and weight(by manufacturer), velosity, and zero range. It also takes into account sight/scope hight. So is is pretty good without the Sesame st. colors. More for the reloader I guess. You can enter altitude, humidity.... and get really specific.
The Cookie monster really misses you, Haha. My post was not saying the one I use was better, but... You must have made a ton of money since that is yours.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 03-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1206 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

.270/150 gr (9.7 g) SP 2,850 ft/s (870 m/s) 2,706 ft·lbf (3,669 J)

.308/150 gr (9.7 g) Nosler tip 2,820 ft/s (860 m/s) 2,648 ft·lbf (3,590 J)

When all else fails.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
If you would have taken more then 2 seconds, you choose caliber of bullet and weight(by manufacturer), velosity, and zero range. It also takes into account sight/scope hight. So is is pretty good without the Sesame st. colors. More for the reloader I guess. You can enter altitude, humidity.... and get really specific.
The Cookie monster really misses you, Haha. My post was not saying the one I use was better, but... You must have made a ton of money since that is yours.
Haha I know you never said it was better. I was just stating that I liked mine better. Your probably right, if I took more time then just looking at the first selection I might of been a bit better off.

As for all the "details", I can put the weather, altitude, humidity, shot angle, and all the needed stuff as well. For the weather/windage I can just tap a button and it'll put that in for me. I'm not sure if the one you suggested has that ability or not, like you've said, I never really looked around all to much on it.

I shall rephrase it though "the program I use is better for my needs." haha

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Haha I know you never said it was better. I was just stating that I liked mine better. Your probably right, if I took more time then just looking at the first selection I might of been a bit better off.

As for all the "details", I can put the weather, altitude, humidity, shot angle, and all the needed stuff as well. For the weather/windage I can just tap a button and it'll put that in for me. I'm not sure if the one you suggested has that ability or not, like you've said, I never really looked around all to much on it.

I shall rephrase it though "the program I use is better for my needs." haha
Now your talking! Just leave out the HaHa!

Newest Threads

leh