.270 vs .308 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .270 vs .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can laugh all you want, but my first deer was 400 yards. My second was 50. My third was 600. My first elk was at 30. My second was 300. So laugh all you want, you easterners can keep your "slug guns." Us riflemen are happy out here, and are prepared for any range. Half the fun is sneaking up? Spend a week stalking antelope and then come talk to me.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #12

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

It's six of 1, half dozen of the other. They both have their ups and downs. It's really personal preference as do you want a long action with a smaller selection of bullets or a short action with a wider range of grain weights and an unlimited supply of brass and it's been researched to death. Good luck

Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool
You can laugh all you want, but my first deer was 400 yards. My second was 50. My third was 600. My first elk was at 30. My second was 300. So laugh all you want, you easterners can keep your "slug guns." Us riflemen are happy out here, and are prepared for any range. Half the fun is sneaking up? Spend a week stalking antelope and then come talk to me.
No, I am not saying y'all can't hunt, I'm just saying I like my style of hunting while you like yours. I like the challenge of being absolutely silent while watching the game I am hunting. There is no way in he!! I could make a 600 yard shot, mostly because lack of practice past 100 yards. What you do takes skill too. So in your style of hunting, which would you use, a .270 or .308? I like the .308 for my purposes because it hits harder at close range with a bigger bullet.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #14

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter

No, I am not saying y'all can't hunt, I'm just saying I like my style of hunting while you like yours. I like the challenge of being absolutely silent while watching the game I am hunting. There is no way in he!! I could make a 600 yard shot, mostly because lack of practice past 100 yards. What you do takes skill too. So in your style of hunting, which would you use, a .270 or .308? I like the .308 for my purposes because it hits harder at close range with a bigger bullet.
I live in missouri but hunt out west alot. I have snuck up w in easy bow distance of just about every game animal out there except a damn prairrie goat. Id take either of them two but id prefer the 270 just bc long action fits me better and thats what im used to. Id rather have a 7 mag or my warbird though. Ya stealth is a good thing but so is the ability to shoot long range in constant 25 mph wind that is swirling do to geographical oddities.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Fair enough. Just trying to tell you were I come from. Not offense intended. I never been back east, I usually play on the rolling sagebrush hills. if I get a 200 yard shot on a mulie, I feel a little spoiled.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #16

Quote:

Fair enough. Just trying to tell you were I come from. Not offense intended. I never been back east, I usually play on the rolling sagebrush hills. if I get a 200 yard shot on a mulie, I feel a little spoiled.
Dang skippy....although i have killed 2 mulies w a bow and that was tough.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #17

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post

No laughing, just my experience. Never interned to Piss in your Cheerios. I was told it could not be done, proved it wrong. Speed goat hunting is fun, not really something that floats my boat. So if I show up at your doorstep w/ my 7mmRemMag, would you go? I might have to bring a N04mk1/3 Enfield to prove a point though.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quick question for everyone. If this subject (and many like it) have been beat to death, why don't we just create a sticky with a list of every (at least somewhat) common caliber, and list the general stats, pros, and cons of each? Wouldn't that mostly put an end to the caliber vs caliber thing?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #19

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:

I would feel spoiled out here too. That's far enough away so they can't hear you, but close enough for me to make a decent shot, with practice of course.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #20

Quote:

I would feel spoiled out here too. That's far enough away so they can't hear you, but close enough for me to make a decent shot, with practice of course.
Imagine what its like to shoot two mule deer before the muzzle blast of the first shot reaches em. At 350 yards it takes two seconds for the sound to reach the target. In that time i can have fired and been back on target and fired again to score another kill shot at that same distance.

Newest Threads