Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .270 long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The mr7 is a mashup of guns (Not that this is a bad thing). The reciever is that dreded model 700 design that Dillianger Hates (just funnin ya) With a Savage style barrel attachment design. The trigger I believe is like a remington.

The fastest way to get a new stock is to take it to a local gunsmith and tell them what stock you want to put on it and they will have to inlet the stock from scratch. $350-$500. You really want piller bedding for this as well.

At the same time You are going to need to have the barrel replaced with a match grade barrel. Any good gunsmith will be abe to thread it and fit it to the reciever. Since you have the gun all apart it needs to be blue printed to make sure everything is true and square to the action axis. You are going to want a light weight firing pin to lower your lock time. Now we are down to the trigger for long range stuff I am going to say you do not want anything over 1 to 1.5# if you are going to only use this rifle for LR Bench shooting then you are going to want to drop that to no more than 6oz most bench guns are running 1.5 to 2oz triggers. Blue Print is going to be $250 to $300 trigger is going to be from $75 to $175. The barrel is going to cost from $400 to $500 for barrel and install.

Now you have a rifle that will shoot 1/2 moa but that is still not good enough.

Accuracy is like speed. The more you want to more is cost. For a good bench gun figure on dropping $3000 on the rifle and another $1000 to $2000 on the glass.

Last edited by cpttango30; 04-16-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

In our shop a barrel is about $300 shipped to us and it's about $300 to $350 to cut a new chamber in your desired caliber. If you want the action blue printed at the same time, or if you want barrel fluting to reduce weight, or anything else, then Brett does a sort of action package deal and you get a better overall price instead of doing it piece meal. Looks like from Krieger direct they charge $270 to cut a chamber for you on their own barrel & $60 to thread it to your action, but I think you have to provide them the action, so you will be without it for awhile.

CptTango is right - For better results you have to spend more money. And I don't hate the Remington, I just think there are better choices out there. But it is good that we can exchange opinions about it and still remain friends.

If you're shooting benchrest, like real competition bench rest, no factory stick is going to compete, you will need to design and build a gun from the ground up. That gun will look nothing like your average weapon and can have all sorts of crazy sh!t done to it like electric triggers and big rails on the sides of the stock to travel smoothly on the bag. The guys that do serious benchrest shooting have some CRAZY guns that run into the multiple thousands of dollars - and that is before they add a $2000 or $2500 custom, enhanced reticle, 40x power scope.

D

Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Accuracy is like speed. The more you want to more is cost. For a good bench gun figure on dropping $3000 on the rifle and another $1000 to $2000 on the glass.
I think your getting a little ahead of what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm not looking at turning this rifle into the ultimate benchrest weapon. Although I do plan on shooting in some competetions, I will still use it for hunting/paper punching. I can see spending 400ish on a good target barrel, and down the road sometime another few hundered on a custom stock. Blueprinting the action is definatly a possibility, but will have to wait for now. As far as optics go, there is no way I can justify spending a grand on a scope. Although it probably would be really nice... Anyway, keep in mind guys this will be a multi-purpose rifle. I'm just looking to squeeze some more accuracy out of it.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

There are a few places out there that will do a complete over haul of your action. I forget the name of the place I was looking at. But they cost about $250 or $300 for an action tuning. Hill Country Rifles is the place to get some work done. Prices are rather good as well.

For optics I would go with Bushnell's Elite 4200 line. Great glass some of the best comming out of japan. I got my 6-24x40mm for $413 with shipping.

When you go to buy your barrel make sure you get a single point cut rifling as this type does not add any stress to the barrel where as the Button rifled barrels have added stress from the button being pulled threw the barrel. Also I would have my new barrel chambered into a 270 Ackly improved. This will give you a bit more accuracy and speed over a regular 270 Win.

One thing none of us have mentioned is once you find a good smith it will take a while for him to do the work because he is good he will be backed up. I have had people tell me that if it does not take a month or more the gunsmith is not worth taking your rifle too. I unfortunatly have found this to be true. Took my 308 target rifle to a place to have a rear mount made for the scope. First guy did not do a damn thing but turn the mount around backwards and glue it on with some Blue Lock Tite. The next guy bashed it with a hammer untill he almost destroyed my action then tried to blame me for the damage to my rifle. When I pulled out pictures I had taken the day before taking it to him he quickly changed his story and promptly took my rifle and fixed the damage and reblued the action (Which was in need of being done anyways). Be picky be very picky about your gunsmith. Thy are like doctors you don't want the one that got a C average in school do you?

Last edited by cpttango30; 04-16-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #15

Ok gents, I found some more info about the competitions today. The longest range is at 600yds, which is well within my rifles capability. Today I shot 1 MOA groups consistently with cheap federal 130grain ammo. I think with some better ammo and less wind I could tighten the groups up a bit more. I was also told by one of the people that shoots in the competitions that if you could hit a pie plate at 600yds you would be competitive. So I think I'm going to wait until I get my AK before I spend money to accurize the .270. I really appreciate your input, and I will keep this thread updated as I work on my rifle and my skill.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #16

first thing if your rifle is shooting moa dont worry about pricey upgrades at the moment, buy one of these Weaver 4-20X50 Super Slam Riflescope Side Focus Dual-X Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies they are a really good scope for very good money at the moment, they dial repeatably have glass on par if not better than the bushy 4200's and some far more expensive leupolds. Invest in a some good mounts dont skimp here as you scope will only be as good as the mounts holding it there. Then get out and practise, spend some money on load development and then spend some quality time behind your rifle, then youll find out what its truely capable of, then you can make some decisions on what needs to be done. If it were me I'd look at selling and buying something a little more aftermarket freindly like a rem700 ,not knocking the marlin ,its just what I would do.