.270 .308 or 30-06 - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .270 .308 or 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

the .270 is going to be the flatest shooter of the 3 followed by the .308 and the 30.06 . All of which will take most game here in the US . If it were my choice ,Im a .308 fan myself but any of those will work great

Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #82

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I am actually having a hard time finding a 30-06 in my price range that feels right. But they do have the .270 and the .308. Savage is my goal. Good price, I liked the one I had, alot.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #83

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I have to agree if you're going to use 30.06,

you want to have a scope to get the full benefit

from the additional range of the cartridge.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #84

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody
I am actually having a hard time finding a 30-06 in my price range that feels right. But they do have the .270 and the .308. Savage is my goal. Good price, I liked the one I had, alot.
Look at yes ill say it marlins xl7 for the calibers u want 300 bucks killer trigger shoots like a dream fit an finish is very good not the average lower end like the stevens or mossberg

Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #85

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
This is probably the most important thing. I find it's not much fun

shooting a gun I don't like. If I were you, I would hold out till you

find a rifle that fits you just right. Savage is a great way to go,

apparently their late models are a new breed of accurate.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #86

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I agree with therewolf. Savage is indeed a great way to go.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #87

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Look at yes ill say it marlins xl7 for the calibers u want 300 bucks killer trigger shoots like a dream fit an finish is very good not the average lower end like the stevens or mossberg
Marlins are awesome! My old 3030 lever is the business!

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #88

Likes Given: 1

I recently saw a show on the Military Channel about the 10 best rifles in the world (military rifles) and the Enfield .303 fell right in the middle behind K98's. They said more African big game animals have been brought down by the .303 than any other caliber...

I shoot a #4 and a #5 regularly and they are kickers!

I also have an 1898 Springfield Krag 30-40 and think it's a great round for hunts! Bummer they cost about a buck/round though...

Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #89

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Thats becouse most poached critters killed in africa have been done so with old 303 enfield rifles poachin is huge in africa but if u ask a ph what they allow u wont here of a 303 for africa

Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #90
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlnga
I have all three and each have their place in the scheme of things. Medium, thin skinned game, deer antelope, maybe even up to elk (Jack O'connor was a fan), the 270 will do the job & very comfortable to shoot. A wide range of ammo is available & plentiful. The 308 is a very accurate caliber as well and pretty easy on the recoil. It will take just about anything in No. America but I might be a little uncomfortable on large game like the big bears & bison. Now my favorite all around, the 30-06. I am 72 years old & got my first 30-06, A surplus Springfield 03 at age 14. It is the universal caliber in my book. Anything in No. America can be harvested with the right ammunition & shot placement. I like the moderate priced but strong Ruger Model 77 with a quality scope like a good Leupold to fit the conditions you will hunt in. This is my go-to rifle 90% of the time. Ammunition can be found almost anywhere you might go, which is an added benefit. There is a lot of satisfaction in having a good rifle and knowing it will do what you want to to.
I can concur with danlnga on this. I was backup on a bear hunt once when we came upon the largest bear I have ever seen. My hunting partner, who had told me, "Don't worry about it, I'll handle everything" takes a shot from his bolt action rifle, which only angers this behemoth. He pulls the bolt back to chamber another round and proceeds to jam his gun.

I realize that this is where the backup hunter is supposed to come into play! I raised my H&K 91 (.308) with legal hunting 5-round magazine and fired at the bear. It struck him in the forehead and glanced off. I know, but I was looking at the gigantic teeth at the time. I fired center-mass and and he fell on all fours from his standing up position and lumbering towards us. A shot to the shoulder made him try to stand again and another shot center mass brought him to all fours again. The final shot from the magazine may have missed but it sent the bear lumbering up a nearby tree.

By the time I changed magazines, my hunting partner had brought his bolt back into battery and we started to circle the tree in opposite directions. Simultaneous shots brought him down. However, I was convinced that .308 might not have been the best caliber to bring down an almost 7' tall bear with an attitude.

Postmortem, my head shot cracked his skull but no cranial vault damage. The front shoulder shot skidded off the joint with no motion restriction - he was still able to climb the tree. The other two center mass failed to hit critical organs even though he was bleeding internally and would have died eventually. The final killing shots went one through each lung and both through the heart for a quick kill.

30-06 or better would have penetrated that brain shot and not put the poor animal through all of that trauma. I was young at the time and had been told that .308 was acceptable for bear hunting. I agree that it falls into the "acceptable" category, but there are better.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)