.270 .308 or 30-06 - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .270 .308 or 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody

back when I had that savage, I only got a few select days where I could be in the woods. I did not have the opportunity to scout all year and play ultimate hunter. My gun stayed at home while I was out defending your freedom. So when I did get a few days of leave I just picked it up and went. And if it stayed on target, why would I screw with it? Mostly I was there hunting because that was the time I had at home with my friends and family.

Seems to me like you think you are a one of those tough guys, Picking a fight on a forum. That's sad, and i am not looking for a fight. Not here, not with you anyway. I'm sorry you felt the need to call me lazy and challenge my hunting status, but if you knew anything about me and what I have given, it might change your tune a little.
Please like you are the only one that has served, I lost alot of my self for this damn country as well, but u dont see me askin for a thank u talk about beatin a dead horse with that. So u served as did I so what we chose that path I just said what I felt like about your post it sounded lazy to me dont get all butt chuck over a comment as simple as that

Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #112

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I love my 270 Win. with the 130 gr WW pointed soft point ammo, Iv'e never lost a Whitetail Deer that I shot with that gun.? All one shot kills, & it works great on coyotes also at extreme ranges, It is very flat shooting out & beyond the 200 yard range, especially with good hand loads etc. Yep the 270 is my favorite big game hunting round.?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #113
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Let's all play nice please.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
Let's all play nice please.
We are, just sometimes we type faster than our brains are thinkin hell poppa woody is a hell of a guy, he knows I dont mean to insult him in any way. Im just blunt in my words, I was raised on a ranch buy old school hands that were as hard as the ground we live on, as I run the ranch now I catch the ways in my actions some times dont mean to thats just how I am.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTAIL
I love my 270 Win. with the 130 gr WW pointed soft point ammo, Iv'e never lost a Whitetail Deer that I shot with that gun.? All one shot kills, & it works great on coyotes also at extreme ranges, It is very flat shooting out & beyond the 200 yard range, especially with good hand loads etc. Yep the 270 is my favorite big game hunting round.?
The 270 will always be a great choice, easy to buy high quality ammo at decent prices if u dont reload, an its just a good old game slayer .long live the 270

Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #116

In your opinion(s) please...[/QUOTE]

.270 .308 or 30-06

I hunted all over the 11 western states Canada and Mexico.. I hunted Archery and rifle..I took everything you are speaking of plus a lot more. Oh my bow was a 55 pound pull my rifle was and is a 270 Husqvarna (No longer made I think) with a 12 power scope.. If I can drop'em with a bow I can drop them with a rifle..

Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #117

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To keep it simple, go with the .30-06. It'll kill Anything.
Good luck finding your Rifle in the $350 range... you're Dreamin'.

Until Obama arms them, these Groundhogs don't stand a chance...

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #118
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raycer View Post
actually there are some very good rifles in the $350 range, NIB, the marlin XL7 in 30-06 the savage Axis in 30-06 and if you look around, you could probaby find some very nice used ones for that price also. for a little more you could pick up the weatherby vanguard for about $399 NIB. so there are some good rifles in that price range if you look around.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #119

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raycer
Uh, $350 OTD including sling and bipod... Dream come true...
Took the misses out with me to shoot it today, and just as Savage said it would, shot straight right out of the box at 200 yards.

And Mullie and I made nice nice, so let's not toss anymore fuel in that fire. We're all good here.
image-1779863375.jpg  

Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 AM   #120

I presented myself with this exact same question a little over a year ago, here's what I came up with.

Part 1- The round

After hours of research, both online and old school book study, I went with the 30-06. The reason I went with the '06 is ultimately the versatility of the cartridge. Not only can you buy or reload ammo to be comparable with the flat trajectory of the .270, you can load light for similar recoil to the .308 but still have the option of going heavy and hot with 220 gr. bullets that are capable handling the biggest of N. American game. If you can find the saboted 55 gr. remington accelerator you've got a great prairie dog/coyote round.

Part 2 - The gun

Like I said before my scenario was exactly the same, even the price range. Given the dollar amount I was willing to spend that left me with few options, basically ,at the time, the Savage Edge (now Axis) and the Remington 770. After handling the two and talking with some owners of the Remington I went with the Savage and am immensely happy with my choice. Since that time Marlin and Mossberg both have put out what appear to be excellent choices that should be able to be bought for the kind of money you want to spend. I'm still partial to the Savage, comfortable, accurate, good trigger and recoil is negligible considering the light weight.

I hope I've provided some useful info and if you've got a question on the Savage please ask. Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited by DukesDad; 12-29-2011 at 03:46 AM.