.257 roberts - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .257 roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Guys, I never said it was a bad cartridge, just almost obsolete and a poor investment in the 21st century. To say anything else now is simply dishonest.

You can defend everything (grand)daddy left you, that you got cheap because it was sporterized milsurp or already half-obsolete, what you bought used 70 years ago, or that you bought accidently thinking it was some other chambering, and there's a special place in my heart for such anachronistic red-headed step children too, but please don't mislead readers here and stick to the darn subject -- out-of-date, once-mildly-popular-at-best, cartridges.

How many years till people HAVE to reload or buy from specialty makers because no factory will produce regular runs of this ammo anymore? Years! And how few years till there are basically only two bullet choices available!? Ooops -- seems we're already there.

BTW, did I suggest .243? I did. OK. Just checking...

I will simply say this as everything else has already been said.
YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!
ct

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Default Recommended calibers for 21st century animals.

Quote:
Guys, I never said it was a bad cartridge, just almost obsolete and a poor investment in the 21st century. To say anything else now is simply dishonest.

You can defend everything (grand)daddy left you, that you got cheap because it was sporterized milsurp or already half-obsolete, what you bought used 70 years ago, or that you bought accidently thinking it was some other chambering, and there's a special place in my heart for such anachronistic red-headed step children too, but please don't mislead readers here and stick to the darn subject -- out-of-date, once-mildly-popular-at-best, cartridges.

How many years till people HAVE to reload or buy from specialty makers because no factory will produce regular runs of this ammo anymore? Years! And how few years till there are basically only two bullet choices available!? Ooops -- seems we're already there.

BTW, did I suggest .243? I did. OK. Just checking...
Oh, wait a minute! We're hunting the same animals as in the last century!
As far as the old American brands turning out so much better quality arms recently... I use a 6.5 swede (1898!) for all my big game & on the trapline. I've sawed the bbl off at 19". I also have a new Rem 700VS in 22-250.
You would not believe it if I tried to tell you which gun shoots the tightest, sub-moa group at 100yds!
Better, my a$$ . Why do you think knowledegable shooters are amassing collections of older guns?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #33

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Oh, wait a minute! We're hunting the same animals as in the last century!
As far as the old American brands turning out so much better quality arms recently... I use a 6.5 swede (1898!) for all my big game & on the trapline. I've sawed the bbl off at 19". I also have a new Rem 700VS in 22-250.
You would not believe it if I tried to tell you which gun shoots the tightest, sub-moa group at 100yds!
Better, my a$$ . Why do you think knowledegable shooters are amassing collections of older guns?
I'll answer your last question first -- they're not. Don't confuse old and cheap with knowledgeable. The AR is now the American rifle, people do buy old cheap stuff because... it is cheap and interestingly old, one can probably find some ammo somewhere or resell the useless gun, so, "what the hell"! People don't throw guns away -- they go to museums and are mostly stuck "in the back," are passed down to diluted Americans, find their way to Estate auctions, prices drop, and they find a home or are sold to and destroyed by the inner-city authorities.

Yes, we know old guns work too. So did horse drawn carriages. And the best made buggy whip, the absolute cream of the (riding) crop, is where today?

Again, I get it. You guys are arguing the .257 Roberts is a current, popular, useful, modern cartridge because you (used to) shoot one. I simply observe and opine it's on its deathbead and being read the Last Rights.

The OP can look at a shelf of ammo and decide for himself. [And a hush fell across the thread...]

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-22-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #34

HOCKALOUIS, I should add that I respect your difference of opinion. I've been tuned up on here re the value of your free speech amendment. I was practically frozen out of a Mil Surplus site because I stated that every ex mil that comes into my possession gets lopped off at 19" and goes to work on the trapline!
Again, I respect your right to differ!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #35

Quote:
I'll answer your last question first -- they're not. Don't confuse old and cheap with knowledgeable. The AR is now the American rifle, people do buy old cheap stuff because... it is cheap and interestingly old, one can probably find some ammo somewhere or resell the useless gun, so, "what the hell"! People don't throw guns away -- they go to museums and are mostly stuck "in the back," are passed down to diluted Americans, find their way to Estate auctions, prices drop, and they find a home or are sold to and destroyed by the inner-city authorities.

Yes, we know old guns work too. So did horse drawn carriages. And the best made buggy whip, the absolute cream of the (riding) crop, is where today?

Again, I get it. You guys are arguing the .257 Roberts is a current, popular, useful, modern cartridge because you (used to) shoot one. I simply observe and opine it's on its deathbead and being read the Last Rights.

The OP can look at a shelf of ammo and decide for himself. [And a hush fell across the thread...]
Hey, I'll bet I'm the only guy that got the buggy whip quip!
Showing my age.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22109 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my LGS stocks plenty of 257 Roberts! so do the two pawn shops in town.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #37

Quote:

You remind me of President Obama in the debate with Romney when Obama really burned Romney on the battleship comment and Obama said that we don't use as many horses and bayonets either. The difference is that it worked for Obama and it backfired for you.
ct

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #38

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
HOCKALOUIS, I should add that I respect your difference of opinion. I've been tuned up on here re the value of your free speech amendment. I was practically frozen out of a Mil Surplus site because I stated that every ex mil that comes into my possession gets lopped off at 19" and goes to work on the trapline!
Again, I respect your right to differ!
LOL Oh the horror! It IS sacrilege.

Now if you'll excuse me, Cottontop has stopped making any sense at all and I have an international competition tomorrow at Creedmoor... Some idjut wants us to use that newfangled smokeless powder .257 Roberts round but I told that whipper-snapper that blackpowder, muzzle-loaders, and .58 caliber Minie Balls will never be bettered and that they're NOT almost obsolete!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-22-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #39

Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Quote:

Lets talk old rifles. None of mine have dropped in worth. In fact they have risen considerabley. You take your AR and I'll take my old antiquated out for a little Bear hunting. While you empty a 20 round mag of .223, I'll flatter him like a pancake w/ 106 year old technology. Funny that in Africa the AR is looked down upon while 100+ year old technology is used daily. Guess we are just slow to learn that 20 rounds from a pee shooter is better then 1 well placed shot from a classic hunter. You better start telling all the .30-06 fans here how stupid they are also. .257 Roberts is based on the 7x57. .30-06 is based on the 8x57, which was based on 7x57. Hmm, I'm not sure what rock you've been under, but the old cartridges are going no where for another 100 years. Niether are the rifles as they are excellent tools.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #40

Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Quote:
LOL Oh the horror! It IS sacrilege.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an international competition tomorrow with my Remington Rolling Block at Creedmoor... Some idiot wants us to use smokeless powder but I told HIM blackpowder will never be bettered!
I thought you were a decent guy. Now I realize what an @ss you really are. Simply amazing that you dog people for an opinion. You are stating yours. Talking to people like they are trash shows what a coward you really are. Hide behind a keyboard. You are better suited for Arf.com w/ the rest of the 15 year old mall ninjas.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This