.257 roberts - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .257 roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Evans, no. Buds -- either $33 or $45 per box. Sportsman's Warehouse either $36 or $38 per box. Yup, there are two, TWO, choices of ammo on the internet in the US at two places mentioned for at least $1.65/round not including shipping, etc.

You'll find .22 if you look hard enough too. I still don't buy that there's any .257 Roberts on the shelves.

OK, so limbkiller recommends buying a gun chambered in it and sites ammo availabilty as a reason...

These guys aren't lying. My LGS has several boxes of .257Bob ammo on the shelf. I checked there today.
ct

Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 958 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 738

Quote:
Evans, no. Buds -- either $33 or $45 per box. Sportsman's Warehouse either $36 or $38 per box. Yup, there are two, TWO, choices of ammo on the internet in the US at two places mentioned for at least $1.65/round not including shipping, etc.

You'll find .22 if you look hard enough too. I still don't buy that there's any .257 Roberts on the shelves.

OK, so limbkiller recommends buying a gun chambered in it and sites ammo availabilty as a reason...
Just remember what they have on line isn't always what they have in the store. Bud's has all kinds of ammo that they don't put on line. So do most of the stores here. Gotta keep people coming in so they hoard lots for the locals. There are about 25 or so places within 30 miles of me to get ammo. Hell Bud's has .22 if you want to pay $40-50 a brick.

USMC 74-78

Old 06-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #23

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Great caliber! And if you're reloading, who cares what overpriced ammo is sitting on store shelves.

I think that you got the equivalent of a 375hp/396 Camaro... a sleeper!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #24

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Actually it is more like a Corvair that needs a new water pump. Interesting but pretty worthless and just doesn't make sense when you have a little knowledge and think about it for a minute...

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Actually it is more like a Corvair that needs a new water pump. Interesting but pretty worthless and just doesn't make sense when you have a little knowledge and think about it for a minute...

Well my friend, I and many of the above posters, have a whole lot of knowledge. You obviously do only have a "little knowledge," as you say. When you don't know what you are talking about, then either try to offer an explanation, or don't post it on a public forum without a qualifier such as "IMO" or something similar. You need to think about it for over "a minute." You, in a left handed way, have called me and many of the other posters on this thread ignorant, and I for one am offended and take exception to it.
ct

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #26

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Well my friend, I and many of the above posters, have a whole lot of knowledge. You obviously do only have a "little knowledge," as you say. When you don't know what you are talking about, then either try to offer an explanation, or don't post it on a public forum without a qualifier such as "IMO" or something similar. You need to think about it for over "a minute." You, in a left handed way, have called me and many of the other posters on this thread ignorant, and I for one am offended and take exception to it.
ct
Hey, Cottontop, probably not worth the aggravation! Just had a long conversation with Mshlock (one way, via his previous posts) phew!
IMO, the comments are not from an experienced, accomplished big game hunter. A shooter, collector, gun aficionado & zombie fighter, yes. His shot was aimed at my 375/396 camaro & I was fair game!

Cottontop, my praise was aimed at your 257 thread! Can't say that I never miss!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Hey, Cottontop, probably not worth the aggravation! Just had a long conversation with Mshlock (one way, via his previous posts) phew!
IMO, the comments are not from an experienced, accomplished big game hunter. A shooter, collector, gun aficionado & zombie fighter, yes. His shot was aimed at my 375/396 camaro & I was fair game!

Cottontop, my praise was aimed at your 257 thread! Can't say that I never miss!

Thanks for your support 6_5. I now understand and will waste no more time on this zombie fighter. I tend to get too riled up on some of these posts. I am going to tone it down some.
ct

Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Guys, I never said it was a bad cartridge, just almost obsolete and a poor investment in the 21st century. To say anything else now is simply dishonest.

You can defend everything (grand)daddy left you, that you got cheap because it was sporterized milsurp or already half-obsolete, what you bought used 70 years ago, or that you bought accidently thinking it was some other chambering, and there's a special place in my heart for such anachronistic red-headed step children too, but please don't mislead readers here and stick to the darn subject -- out-of-date, once-mildly-popular-at-best, cartridges.

How many years till people HAVE to reload or buy from specialty makers because no factory will produce regular runs of this ammo anymore? Years! And how few years till there are basically only two bullet choices available!? Ooops -- seems we're already there.

BTW, did I suggest .243? I did. OK. Just checking...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-22-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #29
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Guys, I never said it was a bad cartridge, just obsolete and a poor investment in the 21st century. You can defend everything (grand)daddy left you, that you got cheap because it was sporterized milsurp or already obsolete, what you bought used 70 years ago, or that you bought accidently thinking it was some other chambering, and there's a special place in my heart for such anachronisms too, but please don't mislead readers here.
I would like you to tell me how the 257 Roberts is obsolete or a poor investment,and just what caliber do you think is the holy grail of the 21st Century?

I personally don't have a rifle in 257 Roberts,but I do have a 25/06,and the .257 caliber rifles are great calibers for varmints and medium sized game.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I would like you to tell me how the 257 Roberts is obsolete or a poor investment,and just what caliber do you think is the holy grail of the 21st Century?

I personally don't have a rifle in 257 Roberts,but I do have a 25/06,and the .257 caliber rifles are great calibers for varmints and medium sized game.
i have owned a couple of rifles chambered in 257 Roberts and they were excellent shooting rifles and a pleasure to shoot. i'd definately own another one without hesitation. kind of wish i still had one too.