.257 roberts - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .257 roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yeah, and I hear someone "produces" .22 LR too. Can't prove it though can you. Where've YOU actually been seeing 257 Roberts on a shelf for God's sake man!?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnett31 View Post
What would be a good price for a ruger m77 in this caliber?

Anything under $600 would be a great price if it is in good condition. My LGS quoted me $640 for a brand new one as Ruger still catalogs them, though the distributors seem to be out of them currently. I have not heard anything about Ruger discontinuing the M77 in .257R. Used ones are going anywhere from $500 to $900 on the auction sites. I have even occasionally seen some up to $1300 and that is way too high IMO. I suppose anything in the $500 to $700 range would be fair. I don't think they will get any cheaper.
ct

Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Few do. Oddball cartridge as I think you may have perceived...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
I agree.

Use one if you want but it's a little big for varmints and a little small for big game.

That's why it never caught on.
The 257 Roberts is anything but an oddball caliber. While it was a wildcat caliber for many years,there are many factory firearms that have been produced in the caliber as well as factory ammo for the 257 Bob.
It's basically,the 25/06's little brother,and is a great long range varmint caliber as well as a great whitetail,mule deer,or antelope caliber. You can shoot bullets from 75 grain up to 120 gr out of either the 257 Roberts or 25/06.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #14

Liked 939 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Quote:
Yeah, and I hear someone "produces" .22 LR too. Can't prove it though can you. Where've YOU actually been seeing 257 Roberts on a shelf for God's sake man!?
Bud's guns, Sportsman's Wharehouse, Evans Firearms and Archery among others in my area.

USMC 74-78

cottontop Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #15

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
I agree.

Use one if you want but it's a little big for varmints and a little small for big game.

That's why it never caught on.
.257 Roberts is not the .270, but has a strong following from years ago. The rifles that are handed down are cherished by familys. It is the 1st of its' kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge. Just because it is not popular or "oddball" as some may erroneously want to call it, does not mean it is not good. It is kind of like a .25-06 short; similarly as some may want to call the .308 a .30-06 short.

A little history: When the .257 came out, it was basically the 7x57 case necked down and the shoulder angle changed slightly. When Remington legitimized it, it was intentionally loaded down and mostly loaded with round nose bullets for no apparent reason. It was chambered in some strong actions such as the Remington M722. It may have been because of the fact that many small ring Mauser actions were rebarreled for it and those actions were thought to not be as stong as the large ring M98 and similar commercial actions. Roughly a little time later, the .244 Remington and the .243 Winchester were introduced. The velocities of the new 6mm's with similar bullets were considerably faster than the .257. The 6mm's were thought to be a better choice (though I believe they were not) than the Roberts as a dual purpose deer/varmint cartridge. Thus, sales of the Roberts just about stopped. This is too bad as the Roberts is a much better choice as a dual purpose cartridge than the 6mm's when loaded up to its full potential, especially because there are heavier bullets for it.

Curiously, I just started a thread today about the M77 Ruger Mark II in .257 Roberts I bought this week. To the OP, if you have a chance to buy one (especially at a good price) buy it. Ammo is available, and if you reload, it is no problem at all. There are many different bullet weights in which to choose.

That is the "Reader's Digest" version. You should be able to find lots of info on your favorite search engine.
ct
caps off!!

Quote:
It is oddball and is not popular (however many reasons there are) but I, for one, made no other observations as that was not the point of the thread per se. I will expand upon my answer.

The .257 Roberts had its heyday a half a century ago and has all but faded into obscurity. Factory ammo is not available now and if it is again any time soon will be limited, expensive, hard to find, and disappear again soon enough probably forever this time.

Jbarnett, if you like the gun get it if you are willing and able to custom feed it -- but that has to be your "thing." Otherwise? Consider a .243!

It will be cheaper than all other Ruger M-77's for the obvious reason(s).
There are lots of factory loads. Both the shops in my town have plenty of candy for the .257 Bob.

Quote:
See above! On this one you are wrong. Still love ya brotha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Bud's guns, Sportsman's Wharehouse, Evans Firearms and Archery among others in my area.

We have no big box stores here, just large independents, plenty of .257 Bob. Still love that avatar! I can smell the coconut oil!!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Here's just a few of them for sale-

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=257+Roberts

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #17

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Evans, no. Buds -- either $33 or $45 per box. Sportsman's Warehouse either $36 or $38 per box. Yup, there are two, TWO, choices of ammo on the internet in the US at two places mentioned for at least $1.65/round not including shipping, etc.

You'll find .22 if you look hard enough too. I still don't buy that there's any .257 Roberts on the shelves.

OK, so limbkiller recommends buying a gun chambered in it and sites ammo availabilty as a reason...

Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

257 Roberts is a very popular hunting caliber here in Texas. Most gun shops carry factory ammo for the caliber,but most of the people that shoot this caliber are handloaders,so they have no need for factory ammo.

I rarely ever buy factory ammo-it has to be a really good deal,for any caliber that I shoot.
If I think I'm going to buy a new caliber weapon,I always buy dies,and brass for that caliber before I buy the weapon.
For most calibers,I can load 100 shells for the price of two 20 round boxes of factory rifle ammo. And have a lot better performance than any factory stuff.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #19

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Is it true it is over priced and hard to find on the net, yes.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimension id=9828

There is still plenty of old stock .257 bob on the shelves around here. It is pretty much dirt cheap to reload for also. Graf has Prvi 100gr FBSP for 19.59 per 100 and 18.61 per 100 in a 500 lot. Call it .20 a bullet. Resizing range brass costs "0". Powder and primer, less then .50 per cartridge. The last bullets I bought in bulk were 165gr Prvi .308 SPBT, This was a lowly 1000 ct. 117.00 shipped. 8lb or IMR4064 cost 108.00 at the time. Brass, plenty. Primers I have were $16.00 per 1000 at the time. 7MM Rem mag is more drastic. Barnes 140 and 160gr XFB, now the TSX. When they changed the name they had lots of 50pc boxes for 14.00ea shipped. .28 a bullet for premium hunting ammo. IMR4831 for 16.00 and 18.00 a pound, still have 3. can still load it for less then .50 out of pocket. Everything goes up!! I bought 50rd Winchester Wildcat .22lr as a kid for .50 a box. Bought a 500 round brick a few years ago for $17.00, 3 times the amount!!! .03 a round.
What are you shooting that is less $$$ then $1.50 for factory centerfire ammo per round?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
257 Roberts is a very popular hunting caliber here in Texas. Most gun shops carry factory ammo for the caliber,but most of the people that shoot this caliber are handloaders,so they have no need for factory ammo.

I rarely ever buy factory ammo-it has to be a really good deal,for any caliber that I shoot.
If I think I'm going to buy a new caliber weapon,I always buy dies,and brass for that caliber before I buy the weapon.
For most calibers,I can load 100 shells for the price of two 20 round boxes of factory rifle ammo. And have a lot better performance than any factory stuff.

So you buy the dies and brass before you buy the gun too? That's great. I thought I was the only rifle nut that did that. It came back to bite me only once. I had my eye on a fairly rare M88 Winchester in .284 Win. at the LGS. So, I bought the dies off an auction site. Went back to get the gun and it had been sold. I put the dies back on the site and they sold pretty fast. I at least got my money back.
ct

Axxe55 Likes This