.257 roberts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .257 roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .257 roberts

Does anybody have any info on the .257 Roberts. I've came up on a good deal on a .257 ruger m77 but I don't have any experience with the .257 caliber.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Few do. Oddball cartridge as I think you may have perceived...

Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

.257 Roberts is a classic. based on the 7x57 cartridge, it is easy on the shoulder and a great vermin or whitetail round. It is on my want list. Cotton Top just posted a Ruger M77 .257 roberts score!
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/boy-did-i-luck-out-92487/

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Few do. Oddball cartridge as I think you may have perceived...
I agree.

Use one if you want but it's a little big for varmints and a little small for big game.

That's why it never caught on.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #5

The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge. Just because it is not popular or "oddball" as some may erroneously want to call it, does not mean it is not good. It is kind of like a .25-06 short; similarly as some may want to call the .308 a .30-06 short.

A little history: When the .257 came out, it was basically the 7x57 case necked down and the shoulder angle changed slightly. When Remington legitimized it, it was intentionally loaded down and mostly loaded with round nose bullets for no apparent reason. It was chambered in some strong actions such as the Remington M722. It may have been because of the fact that many small ring Mauser actions were rebarreled for it and those actions were thought to not be as stong as the large ring M98 and similar commercial actions. Roughly a little time later, the .244 Remington and the .243 Winchester were introduced. The velocities of the new 6mm's with similar bullets were considerably faster than the .257. The 6mm's were thought to be a better choice (though I believe they were not) than the Roberts as a dual purpose deer/varmint cartridge. Thus, sales of the Roberts just about stopped. This is too bad as the Roberts is a much better choice as a dual purpose cartridge than the 6mm's when loaded up to its full potential, especially because there are heavier bullets for it.

Curiously, I just started a thread today about the M77 Ruger Mark II in .257 Roberts I bought this week. To the OP, if you have a chance to buy one (especially at a good price) buy it. Ammo is available, and if you reload, it is no problem at all. There are many different bullet weights in which to choose.

That is the "Reader's Digest" version. You should be able to find lots of info on your favorite search engine.
ct

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
I agree.

Use one if you want but it's a little big for varmints and a little small for big game.

That's why it never caught on.

Sorry, but that's not why it "never caught on." It is not at all "a little big for varmints." The .25-06 thrives as a varmint rifle, it is certainly bigger than the Roberts, and it is doing quite well. There are other reasons why the Roberts lost popularity. Read my forgoing post for a little history of the round. BTW, it is entirely adequate for any deer/antelope size game.
ct

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would be a good price for a ruger m77 in this caliber?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

It is oddball and is not popular (however many reasons there are) but I, for one, made no other observations as that was not the point of the thread per se. I will expand upon my answer.

The .257 Roberts had its heyday a half a century ago and has all but faded into obscurity. Factory ammo is not available now and if it is again any time soon will be limited, expensive, hard to find, and disappear again soon enough probably forever this time.

Jbarnett, if you like the gun get it if you are willing and able to custom feed it -- but that has to be your "thing." Otherwise? Consider a .243!

It will be cheaper than all other Ruger M-77's for the obvious reason(s).

Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Chuckle, I may be a little biased about the 257Roberts as I own 4 of them. One is a Ruger Hawkeye and rest are built on a 91 Argentine, 95 Chile, and a FN 98 action, all are mauser designs. Haven't hunted in a very long time, but certainly wouldn't hesitate using any of my 257R rifles for deer hunting.

These days I visit the range I'm a member to shoot paper from benchrest. Usually take at least 3 rifles with me to shoot and one is often a 257R. Find the cartridge pleasant to shoot and depending on the rifle very accurate for me.

As to the Ruger Hawkeye I own. Sadly, of my 257R rifles it is the least accurate. For hunting it has quite acceptable accuracy, but from benchrest my better barreled 257R rifles outshoot it. Of course, if I was carrying a rifle to hunt, I'd prefer the Ruger over my mausers.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
It is oddball and is not popular (however many reasons there are) but I, for one, made no other observations as that was not the point of the thread per se. I will expand upon my answer.

The .257 Roberts had its heyday a half a century ago and has all but faded into obscurity. Factory ammo is not available now and if it is again any time soon will be limited, expensive, hard to find, and disappear again soon enough probably forever this time.

Jbarnett, if you like the gun get it if you are willing and able to custom feed it -- but that has to be your "thing." Otherwise? Consider a .243!

It will be cheaper than all other Ruger M-77's for the obvious reason(s).
257 is still produced in +P by Hornady and Federal. Several other mfgs produce it in standard loading including Rem and Win. Rem has the 117 SP core lokt and Win has the 117 PP. Nosler even makes it along with HSM.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This