Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .250 Savage or .257 Roberts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 674 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Cotton, I was responding to the above posts. The one issue, although it should not be huge is the 6.5x55 and 7x57/.257 Roberts are different rim diameters. Although the rim of the 7x57, .30-06 cases are the diameters that the U.S. manufactures use, it is smaller then the original design, leading to sub par accuracy. It is just about the case support when firing. The original 6.5x55 rim is .4803, U.S manufactured cases are .4728.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

Default rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Cotton, I was responding to the above posts. The one issue, although it should not be huge is the 6.5x55 and 7x57/.257 Roberts are different rim diameters. Although the rim of the 7x57, .30-06 cases are the diameters that the U.S. manufactures use, it is smaller then the original design, leading to sub par accuracy. It is just about the case support when firing. The original 6.5x55 rim is .4803, U.S manufactured cases are .4728.

You are certainly correct, and I do agree with you. When I got this action, it was barreled in 8x57. I don't know if it was originally barreled in 6.5x55 long before it was barreled in 8x57 or not. So, I think the Roberts or Savage case would work. I will have the 'smith check it out first.
ct

Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Own three 257R rifles built on 91, 95, 98 mauser actions. Nice shooters all. Do enjoy shooting paper with them and certainly wouldn't hesitate using one of them for deer hunting. I've had a desire for a 250 Savage cartridge rifle for awhile now. Went to the Shilein open house/swapfest yesterday in Ennis Tx and came home with a couple of Shilein barrels that were in their bargain bin. One was a 25 cal barrel that will probably go on a 1910/12 Remington Rolling Block rifle in 7x57. Kinda bad chamber in the Rolling Block.

One thing that may be worth consideration when choosing between a 250 Savage or a 257R is brass availability if you reload. While I presently don't own a 250 Savage, seems like whenever I've checked for availability of its brass from places I normally order from, it was not available. It seems to be a so-called seasonal made brass. Sometimes experience same thing with 257R brass, but always able to find some brand of it, or can use 7x57 brass to resize to 257R.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #14

Brass seems to always be available on gunbroker.
ct

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I just checked my loading book and it was interesting. The base of the 7x57, 257 Roberts and 250 Savage are the same. What was interesting is the 257 had higher velocities with the lighter bullets but slightly lower velocities with the heavier bullets than the 250. I have seen a few Savage 99's in 250 and might have to take another look.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

cottontop Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I already have a .25-06 in my battery and I would like to add another .25 caliber rifle. I have a nice 96 Mauser action, D&T'd for a scope, bolt handle altered, and wearing a Timney trigger w/ safety. It is just waiting for a barrel and stock. But, I can't seem to decide between the .250 or the .257. Which would you go for and why?
ct
If your hand loader than hands down (no offence) there is no reason to own a 25 caliber for a 27 caliber anything those calibers can do a 6 millimeter or 6.5 millimeter can do better..... This is simply because the 25 and the 27 calibers do not have near as big of a bullet selection as the 6mm and the 6.5mm. their BC just isnt high enough to compete... It would be my guess that this is because the 6mm and the 6.5mm are very popular competition and target rounds... Therefore bullet manufacturers crank up their performance!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #17

Default various calibers

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_h85 View Post
If your hand loader than hands down (no offence) there is no reason to own a 25 caliber for a 27 caliber anything those calibers can do a 6 millimeter or 6.5 millimeter can do better..... This is simply because the 25 and the 27 calibers do not have near as big of a bullet selection as the 6mm and the 6.5mm. their BC just isnt high enough to compete... It would be my guess that this is because the 6mm and the 6.5mm are very popular competition and target rounds... Therefore bullet manufacturers crank up their performance!

Yes, I am a handloader and I already have a 6mm Remington, a .243 Win., and a 6.5x55 Swedish (in a custom Mauser). I don't "need" another .25 caliber as I have rifles in cartridges capable of hunting small ground squirrels to the biggest bears. In fact, I don't even hunt anymore. But, I do shoot and I am out at the LGR every Friday morning shooting paper. If I had to shoot the same rifle and same cartridge every week, or even the same 3 or 4 rifles, it would get pretty boring. I am not satisfied with any rifle unless it shoots MOA or less. I am working with 5 different rifles that are fairly new to me trying to find a sub MOA load for each one. So, when these are tweaked, I will persue another .25; either the Savage or the Roberts. How can an old useless retired guy have any more fun than that?
ct

JTJ Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post

Yes, I am a handloader and I already have a 6mm Remington, a .243 Win., and a 6.5x55 Swedish (in a custom Mauser). I don't "need" another .25 caliber as I have rifles in cartridges capable of hunting small ground squirrels to the biggest bears. In fact, I don't even hunt anymore. But, I do shoot and I am out at the LGR every Friday morning shooting paper. If I had to shoot the same rifle and same cartridge every week, or even the same 3 or 4 rifles, it would get pretty boring. I am not satisfied with any rifle unless it shoots MOA or less. I am working with 5 different rifles that are fairly new to me trying to find a sub MOA load for each one. So, when these are tweaked, I will persue another .25; either the Savage or the Roberts. How can an old useless retired guy have any more fun than that?
ct
Well it is definitely all about the fun!
As far as those two calibers go the savage based on it dimensions looks to be more inherently accurate plus it has a steeper shoulder so your brass life should be better! Also I would have to do some measuring but it looks like the Roberts may lose powder capacity if you use a long bullets...