You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

25-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 123 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
very interesting article. some interesting comparisons he was doing.
I agree, a very interesting article, Dallas (post 14)! I have a 25-06 in Rem. 700 BDL that I have retired from hunting long ago in favor of my Ruger .270, only because of the slightly lighter weight and shorter barrel. I was doing so much "brush-hunting" back then that the Ruger was just a little handier to carry. Mostly stand hunting nowadays, so maybe I'll go back to my 25. I don't like the 2 position safety so much, though. BTW, the .270 kicks significantly more than the 25-06, although you only notice that when shooting at targets!

Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #22

Liked 8123 Times on 4446 Posts
Likes Given: 13835

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrBear48 View Post
I agree, a very interesting article, Dallas (post 14)! I have a 25-06 in Rem. 700 BDL that I have retired from hunting long ago in favor of my Ruger .270, only because of the slightly lighter weight and shorter barrel. I was doing so much "brush-hunting" back then that the Ruger was just a little handier to carry. Mostly stand hunting nowadays, so maybe I'll go back to my 25. I don't like the 2 position safety so much, though. BTW, the .270 kicks significantly more than the 25-06, although you only notice that when shooting at targets!
my Remington M700 in 270 is probably one of my least shot rifles i own. it's very accurate with the loads i have made for it, but i think sometimes i only own it our of nostalgia, not really any practical reasons. i happen to prefer my rifle in 280 Rem. over my 270 Win. rifle. i find the recoil on mine to be a very sharp recoil. i have contemplated several times in selling it or trading if for something different, but it's a very old M700 and is simply just a beautiful rifle.

now quite possible that my 25-06 might end losing it's 22" sporter style barrel, for a longer 26" varmint style barrel in the near future. not completely decided on that one yet though. i have a couple of ideas for projects in the planning stages right now. nothing that lots of money wouldn't solve!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #23

Liked 1015 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
You must have trained deer down under. The deer and hogs at the ranch come out all over the place. We never know what pasture they are going to choose. The young bucks and the does are pretty predictable, but the mature bucks aren't, they will be in one area one day, and then will show up on another area the next day. They don't get old by being stupid.
We wish they were trained. A lot of the deer are in the high country so shots can range from 20 yards in the thicker stuff to out around 500 yards but in the mountain ares it's fairly thick so shots can be hard at long distance as deer move as they feed BUT given the country most of our deer are in the vast majority of deer hunters will try and close the gaps to as close as possible by using cover and where possible getting the wind blowing into their faces.

There are deer in the open country but there's generally scrub for them to hide in as well and they never wander far from that and not many use hides as a lot of deer are shot in gully's or from hillsides down onto flats or they're shot in open crop paddocks where a long shot may be 200-300 yards but there's always those who try to shoot deer out past 400 yards with no idea of how their rifle shoots out to these distances and end up wounding the deer hence my query.