243for deer yes? or no - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243for deer yes? or no

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
They came right out of the Hornady reloading manual!

The only applicable "fact" you used was sectional density and that was only an opinion stated by a gun writer. There are many opinions stated in reloading manuals. Just because something is printed in a reloading manual does not mean it is fact. You remind me of the tv commercial where the girl believes that nothing can be placed on the internet unless it is true, and her internet found date shows up and she says he is a French model. The S.D. of the .243 bullet used in this comparison was only a few points from the 6.5mm bullet which makes them practically equal which means that you make the point yourself that the .243 is entirely adequate for deer. I'm glad you think these things through.
cottontop
__________________

Last edited by cottontop; 12-15-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: addition
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,058
Liked 1974 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Default

See my post on the hunting form.
Have a nice day, and Merry Christmas to all!

__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
See my post on the hunting form.
Have a nice day, and Merry Christmas to all!

Are you too lazy to answer my questions here? We all want the facts and you persist in giving nothing but your opinion based on nothing. When someone calls you out, you say you either don't have time, or that we are closed minded because we don't agree with your opinions, or go see the other thread. You avoid the issue like a politician. When I taught writing (yes, I have a degree in English), if a student handed in a paper and made a statement about some topic, that student would have to give proof in the form of specific data collected and give evidence of where that data came from in the form of references, what is now called "work cited," or their papers, if I accepted them at all, would be graded down severely. So far, you have failed to provide any such data. My my mind is as open as a Kansas wheat field. If you did show us some emperical evidence and I did not accept it, then I would be closed minded, but not before. You might want to check your mind for openness while you continue to search for data to prove your claims. We are all still eagerly waiting.
cottontop
__________________

Last edited by cottontop; 12-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Default

So I'm going to use mine for deer seems several people like it as a deer round

__________________
mule06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule06 View Post
So I'm going to use mine for deer seems several people like it as a deer round
Just as long as you use a good solid bullet, shoot for the lungs/heart area, and don't shoot beyond your solid shooting distance you will be fine.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 216
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Default

It's entirely possible to take a deer cleanly with a 243. However I prefer a bit more bullet weight and frontal area and am perfectly willing to put up with somewhat more recoil to get it.

Here's a couple of quotes that sum up the 243 pretty well:

Rick Jamison (Shooting Times) has a oft repeated story about a big buck he nailed twice with a 243 that went on to be shot and claimed by other hunters. Page 59 "Rifleman's Handbook":

"I couldn't help feeling that a cartridge with more punch would have anchored the buck sooner."

Jamison is a big fan of the 243 *for varmints*, in fact he considers it the ultimate coyote cartridge.

Finn Aargard (NRA Field Editor)

Aargard wrote an excellent article called "The 243 for Big Game".
Page 101 "Hunting Rifles and Cartridges.

"[If you need a varmint / deer rifle] ..trying to make a varmint cartridge work on big game is going at it the wrong way around. It would be far better to choose a cartridge for the largest game he intended to hunt with it, the develop a load for it that would work on varmints."

"...the 6mms are essentially varmint cartridges. With the right bullets and careful shooting, they can be made to perform fairly satisfactorily on big game up to perhaps 200 lbs liveweight. But why choose a cartridge that is only 'fairly satisfactory' when other cartridges are readily available in rifles that are just as light and have no more kick than those for the 243?"

Emphasis mine. I don't want an adequate cartridge, I want a really good cartridge for any particular game.

__________________
natman is offline  
JimRau Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

the first three deer i ever took as a youngster were with my father's Winchester M70 in 243. two were pretty much dropped where they stood and one went about 20-25 yards before dropping. after many years of shooting now, do i feel there are better cartridges for deer hunting? yes, i do. but i know that as long as i use the proper ammo, keep the distances reasonable and use proper shot placement, i am still confident in taking deer sized game with a 243. again it falls to practice, practice and more practice.

my father reloaded and taught my brother and i to use reasonable distances for that rifle. the longest shot we could make where we hunted was less than 200 yards. my father also had us practice at that yardage with that rifle on a regular basis. we were not allowed to hunt until we could hit our targets each and every time we pulled the trigger. he also taught us it was better to let a deer go if we could not get a clean shot and make a quick kill.

i will also say this, the 243 is the smallest cartridge i feel comfortable using to hunt deer sized game with. i can legally use a 22 centerfire caliber in the state i live in to hunt deer if i so choose to do so. but i feel the 243 is the smallest i would ever use ethically for hunting deer. i will also add this, of all the deer i ever took with a 243, all were taken at 150 yards or less. IMO, the 243 is an excellent cartridge for deer hunting if the person shooting has the ability, has practiced and knows their rifle and ammo, uses 90 gr or larger bullets and uses proper shot placement.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
the first three deer i ever took as a youngster were with my father's Winchester M70 in 243. two were pretty much dropped where they stood and one went about 20-25 yards before dropping. after many years of shooting now, do i feel there are better cartridges for deer hunting? yes, i do. but i know that as long as i use the proper ammo, keep the distances reasonable and use proper shot placement, i am still confident in taking deer sized game with a 243. again it falls to practice, practice and more practice.

my father reloaded and taught my brother and i to use reasonable distances for that rifle. the longest shot we could make where we hunted was less than 200 yards. my father also had us practice at that yardage with that rifle on a regular basis. we were not allowed to hunt until we could hit our targets each and every time we pulled the trigger. he also taught us it was better to let a deer go if we could not get a clean shot and make a quick kill.

i will also say this, the 243 is the smallest cartridge i feel comfortable using to hunt deer sized game with. i can legally use a 22 centerfire caliber in the state i live in to hunt deer if i so choose to do so. but i feel the 243 is the smallest i would ever use ethically for hunting deer. i will also add this, of all the deer i ever took with a 243, all were taken at 150 yards or less. IMO, the 243 is an excellent cartridge for deer hunting if the person shooting has the ability, has practiced and knows their rifle and ammo, uses 90 gr or larger bullets and uses proper shot placement.
So the rounds you will be loading for me would be a good choice then in your opinion? I think so
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
So the rounds you will be loading for me would be a good choice then in your opinion? I think so
but of course!

every cartridge has it's weakness' and strengths. a person needs to learn these and work within those limitations.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

but of course!

every cartridge has it's weakness' and strengths. a person needs to learn these and work within those limitations.
Very true. To bad certain people don't realize that fact.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.357 for deer? jjfuller1 Hunting Forum 15 07-23-2012 12:06 AM
My first deer Georgiahunter Hunting Forum 23 11-14-2011 12:39 AM
deer gun deerhunter17 General Shotgun Discussion 3 12-07-2007 06:39 AM