243for deer yes? or no - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

243for deer yes? or no

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I use .243 for deer hunting

Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #22

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think the 243 Winchester is a great cartridge for whitetail deer. Using the proper bullet along with placement is the key with any game animal. With that said, a 100gr SP in the boiler room out to 300 yards will work like a champ.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

100 gr. Nosler partitions drops em, I've never worried about distance out to 250-300 yds, my eye's aren't good enough nor am I confident enough beyond with any round...243 is just fine if you do your part...

Last edited by ikeepem; 12-13-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
A friend of mine lent his 14 yo nephew his 243 for Pa. deer a couple weeks ago. The kid shot a nice deer with it but never hit vitals. He was complaining about the bullet because it blew the shoulder up and didnt penetrate. I told him it was poor shot placement. It hit in the center of the ball and socket. HE seems to think that was a perect shot. Maybe so but you cant expect penetration with a 100gr bullet when you hit solid bone. 243 is a great deer caliber only with a reasonably well placed shot. Hitting bone and expecting the deer to bleed out, to me , is not an ethical shot. Bullet choice and shot placement are critical.
This is a case in point I have been making here. Had the same shot been made with say a 7-08 with a 140 gr or heavier bullet (other than a BT), or any 30 caliber round 150 gr or heavier bullet the results would have been much different! Poor deer!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #25

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

I have not seen my .243 rounds or my father's stopped by a shoulder blade before... Also... a little curious about the ball and joint comment... I have processed many deer before and the shoulder does not have a ball in socket type joint... That said, his shot was clearly not a clean one... I dropped a NICE 8 point last fall right where he stood with Federal Power Shok 85 grainers. I was actually nervous about such a light bullet but a friend said he had seen that particular round prove pretty effective on Elk so he didn't see why it wouldn't be effective on whitetail. My father, uncle, and sister each use 100 grain reloads but the chamber on my Model 70 is too tight for the rounds my uncle produces... It seems like his loads are a bit lighter in umph compared to the factory loads too. I think perhaps my rounds move a bit faster and therefore make up for their light weight in higher velocity...

Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #26

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
I have not seen my .243 rounds or my father's stopped by a shoulder blade before... Also... a little curious about the ball and joint comment... I have processed many deer before and the shoulder does not have a ball in socket type joint... That said, his shot was clearly not a clean one... I dropped a NICE 8 point last fall right where he stood with Federal Power Shok 85 grainers. I was actually nervous about such a light bullet but a friend said he had seen that particular round prove pretty effective on Elk so he didn't see why it wouldn't be effective on whitetail. My father, uncle, and sister each use 100 grain reloads but the chamber on my Model 70 is too tight for the rounds my uncle produces... It seems like his loads are a bit lighter in umph compared to the factory loads too. I think perhaps my rounds move a bit faster and therefore make up for their light weight in higher velocity...
Like you I have never seen a shoulder ball/socket on a deer......or elk, caribou, rocky mountain sheep, or even a mountain lion for that matter. Still iffy on shoulder shot on a deer w my 243's......might be why I shoot em in the head w it that and that real hard trackin job:rollseyes:

Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

See my posts on the Hunting threads if you you want some facts about the 243.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #28

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
See my posts on the Hunting threads if you you want some facts about the 243.
Your facts are wrong
cottontop Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Your facts are wrong
They came right out of the Hornady reloading manual!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #30

Default patients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Correct you are. If you have the discipline and patients to wait for the PERFECT shot it is ok. But why not get a 7-08 and do it right. Save the 243 for the varmints, where it belongs!!!

You mean one has to be a doctor or a dentist in order to hunt deer? What do the patients do? Tell us more about this patient type of deer hunting. Can one go to a doctor's waiting room and round up a few patients to take hunting. Very interesting. Let's hear some facts about it.
cottontop