243 win. For hunting? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243 win. For hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1998 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 957

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents here if that's OK with everyone. I live and hunt in Kentucky where deer can get rather large in terms of body weight. The farthest I've ever shot at a deer was with a 243 at a bit over 230 yards with a cheap pmp 100 grain soft point out of a nef single shot bull barrel. This was my first mountable buck and he was pretty large in both body weight and antler on his head. The shot hit lung and heart and the big ol boy didn't go far at all, less than 10 yards or so.

For me, the 243 is one of the premier deer hunting rounds out there. I've used everything from ballistic tips to fused ammo and they never go far if anywhere. Accurate, low recoil and plenty of killing power passed 200 yards if you can do your part. A 243, much like the 25-06 will rarely pass thru (in my experience) and all the energy is deposited into the deer. That's the way I like it. I don'tsee the need in having a round that will dump energy iinto the dirt or a tree behind my dinner. If you do your part, it'll work just fine. I use a 223 with a fusion bullet and never had one take a step (maybe a jump). Just put the bullet into the kill zone and enjoy your harvest all year long :-)

Sorry to disillusion you, but 'energy dump' is a myth! The ONLY thing that brings them down is a LONG and WIDE permanent wound channel (placed properly), preferably all the way through! Just fact and reality!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #22

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I hunted with my uncle for years and never had to track a deer he shot with his 243. I live in north western Pa. and we have some large farm fed deer. I will say a buddy of mine let his nephew use his 243 last year and he has done nothing but bitch about Remington 100 gr core locs since. I'm thinking, because of a quartering shot, He blew the whole front shoulder completely off a medium sized deer and still had to shoot it again to kill it. I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened. I've always used 150 gr Rem. CL and probably always will.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1998 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 957

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
I hunted with my uncle for years and never had to track a deer he shot with his 243. I live in north western Pa. and we have some large farm fed deer. I will say a buddy of mine let his nephew use his 243 last year and he has done nothing but bitch about Remington 100 gr core locs since. I'm thinking, because of a quartering shot, He blew the whole front shoulder completely off a medium sized deer and still had to shoot it again to kill it. I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened. I've always used 150 gr Rem. CL and probably always will.
Your buddy did not play by the 243 rules, did he???

What cartridge are you shooting the 150's in??

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #24

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The 243 is one of the best long range varmint caliber out there.
It can be used for deer size game if you are willing to play by the rules!!!!
1. Use ONLY heavy and tough bullets.
2. NO quartering shots, PERFECT PRESENTATION ONLY!
3. Short range shots ONLY, small caliber bullets lose their momentum/energy VERY FAST thus their terminal performance is limited to short range on larger game. (light weight bullets with low SP and BC).
+1 on your assessment. Which is why, if you don't know that you will get those exact circumstances (rules).....why take it to the field?

If you DO (blind/tree stand 100 yards or so overlooking a feed plot, etc), well then different story. I'm not a .243 detractor at all. Or a .223 for that matter. But these are simply not large game, long-distance cartridges no matter HOW much a person wants to believe otherwise. I own an AR15 and love to shoot it. But that does not make it a large game taker IMHO