Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #81
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1259 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
Gun manufacturers in the US have been putting some pretty awful triggers in their gun for years, trying to avoid lawsuits. By awful, I mean hard-pulling triggers.

Then Savage came up with the Accutrigger, which had the little blade in the center that you noticed. The blade acts as a safety. In Savage's case it blocks the sear. - This allows you to have a very light trigger which is also very safe.

My Savage model 16 has an Accutrigger, which I have set for 1.5 pounds weight. If I actuate the trigger without pressing the blade ( pressing from one side ) it de-cocks the weapon but the firing pin does not move.

Similarly, if a sudden jar were to actuate my light trigger, the gun would not fire since the blade would still be blocking the sear.

When I pull the trigger on that gun, I feel the blade first, then the trigger. This is quite handy with a 1.5 pound trigger.

Savage engineers took a ride on a forklift with an accutrigger gun when demonstrating it to the Savage brass... They dropped the gun from fifteen feet or so - and the blade blocked the sear.

The Ruger blade blocks the trigger itself, if I understand correctly, thus getting around Savage's patent. Both work, but I like the Savage system better.

This is why some shooters say that Savage has the best trigger on the market.

I shot a five-round, 1/2" group last week with my Savage .243 - and I'm not the worlds best shot. I think that the trigger had a lot to do with it.

Click image to see it larger.
It will also decock if you work the bolt a little to vigorously.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #82

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
It will also decock if you work the bolt a little to vigorously.
That's how you know that you have it set too light, and should back off on the adjustment a bit.

Mine is set at 1.5 pounds, and shows no bad behavior.

I have a Mauser with a double-set trigger that is about the same weight, when set... As long as you don't set the trigger, it's perfectly safe.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 926 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I guess we have to disagree on this. The 243 should be outlawed for ALL big game and relegated to the varmint caliber it is! I have seen more problems with wounded and lost BIG game with the 243 than all other calibers combined. As I stated above IF you are VERY restrictive in its use you can take big game with it but most who use it over extend it's capability!
I could say the same about a 270 when it comes to whitetails. But I also know some people that have never had a problem with a 270. It all goes back to bullet selection and shot placement. Get that right and the caliber doesn't really matter.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3752

Quote:
I guess we have to disagree on this. The 243 should be outlawed for ALL big game and relegated to the varmint caliber it is! I have seen more problems with wounded and lost BIG game with the 243 than all other calibers combined. As I stated above IF you are VERY restrictive in its use you can take big game with it but most who use it over extend it's capability!
Jim, I would respectfully disagree. A slob is a slob is a slob.

The hunter that wounds and loses an animal as small as a deer with a .243 will wound and lose with a .300 Magnum.

I've seen more elk wounded and lost from 7MM, .300 and .338 magnums than from lesser calibers.

I once lost a full day of hunting helping a jackass that wounded an elk at 600 yards with his "mighty" .378 Weatherby.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Jim, I would respectfully disagree. A slob is a slob is a slob.

The hunter that wounds and loses an animal as small as a deer with a .243 will wound and lose with a .300 Magnum.

I've seen more elk wounded and lost from 7MM, .300 and .338 magnums than from lesser calibers.

I once lost a full day of hunting helping a jackass that wounded an elk at 600 yards with his "mighty" .378 Weatherby.
I spent MANY days tracking wounded game, mostly elk, in my younger days that is why I post what I do. You can't tell be the 7, 300, and 338 were the problem here. I have used all three and they hit hard and do the job VERY WELL. You are talking about a 'people' problem, I am talking about a terminal ballistic problem. apples and oranges!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #86
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17026 Times on 9843 Posts
Likes Given: 44257

Quote:
I spent MANY days tracking wounded game, mostly elk, in my younger days that is why I post what I do. You can't tell be the 7, 300, and 338 were the problem here. I have used all three and they hit hard and do the job VERY WELL. You are talking about a 'people' problem, I am talking about a terminal ballistic problem. apples and oranges!!!
it's not a problem with the chosen caliber, but the idiots who think going to a larger caliber will compensate for their inability to shoot.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3752

Quote:
No the calibers were not the problem. The shooters were.

My point was that a good hunter, stalking to a reasonable range, can kill a deer just as easily with a well constructed 6MM bullet properly placed as with a larger caliber.

I' ve taken quite a few mulies and pronghorn antelope with a very accurate 6MM Remington and 90 grain Nosler partitions. One shot.

For the last 20 years or so, I've hunted everything with a .30-06. I like to own and shoot many different rifles. But I like to hunt with only one.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 926 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
For the last 20 years or so, I've hunted everything with a .30-06. I like to own and shoot many different rifles. But I like to hunt with only one.
Great philosophy. I've always believed that a serious hunter should use one gun. When you only hunt with one gun you tend to get really really good with it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been practicing that lately. I decided to retire my old Enfield several years ago and just haven't found that one gun to replace it with; yet.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 99 Posts

I think that shot placement is the most critical part of a clean kill, irrespective of caliber.

The folks I know who hunt with smaller caliber rifles tend to be better stalkers, and more willing to wait to take better shots, than those who are fooling themselves into thinking their "4000 gerboomdermaker" means they can take 1000-yd shots at running animals.

The woman I know who hunts elk with a 243 is the daughter of a professional guide/outfitter. Her field craft is second to none, and she always gets a clean, one shot kill. She doesn't take shots that she isn't sure of.

An old boy I know hunts only with a 22-250. When I first met him, I questioned the choice. His response was he doesn't take shots longer than 200-yds, and waits for quartering shots in the eye, or base of the skull. Both shots are always instantly fatal.

There is no reason most of us should be taking any shot that we don't know will result in a clean one shot kill. The animals deserve no less from us. Very few of us need the meat, and none of us "needs" a trophy.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #90

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

.243 vs .308...........

"One" can be used,quite well with cast bullets...........the other,good luck.