243. Vs 308. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #61
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21201 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
What you will see is lots of bad reporting in a day when steel was not produced as good as today. Writers in the 30's and 40's were prone to be against high velocity rounds. To many people took guns in 250-3000 and the 220 swift and tried to shoot stuff that is wasn't intended to shoot. Some shots produced spectacular kills when hit right but others when shot wrong, produced just the opposite. A .220 swift will last as long as any 22-250 with modern guns and powders. Then writers such as Elmer Keith pushed the slower rounds and BIG bullets to kill game. That led to certain writers to follow there heroes and post non truths. Jack O'Conner was one of the first to try and break that mold. Still the best to ever write about guns and how it pertained to hunting.
i agree. they were using a large case, trying to push a very small bullet to extreme velocities for the time. a lot of the problems were the powders of the time. and now they hav learned so much more. better steels, better bullets, better powders and many more things.

look at the 204 Ruger in comparison to the 220 Swift. way much smaller case and a 204 diameter bullet that approaches very near the same velocity as the 220 Swift.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #62

Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Are you kidding? Avoid "pissing contests," as you call them? Why that's what forums are for. A person can take on the role of being a big know it all even when he is not. Usually one can google a topic and get enough info to at least appear to be knowledgeable and then come back on the forum and continue the fight. He will win some and lose some. If he wins, great; another feather in the ego cap. If he loses, he can just remain silent for a while, and it will go away and be forgotten. What I like is when I have a guy by the gonads and then just continue to squeeze. It can be very amusing when the guy tries to save face by continuing to make replies when in actuality, he just continues to dig deeper into his hole, when he should just keep quiet until the topic goes away. Forums and posts without the occasional "pissing contests" would be very BORING!!!!!!!
ct
No, I was being serious.

Each to his own, I say, but I find that pissing contests are topic-breakers, and that's a shame.

I would be unsympathetic about any activity by a minority that discourages further discussion, discourages participation, stops the flow of good information and interesting stuff.

But that's just me.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #63

Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wechols View Post
I do love the 270. Jack O'Conner made me a believer. Great round.

The 243 is a good round if you're new and might be as little recoil shy.
I liked the books by Jack O'Conner that I have read, but I've only run across two, so far.

The .243 is good for older, more experienced hunters too. Folks who know when, where and how to shoot, but aren't ready to haul around a heavy rifle or get knocked around when they fire it.

Most deer are killed with 30-30's.

I've never owned a .270 but I came close one time... I had a new Ruger bolt gun with a 24" heavy barrel in .280 Remington, that I took deer hunting one year. - I didn't see anything that I wanted to shoot that time, though.

I chose .308 Winchester for my BLR... They make long-action BLR's but I wanted something really light and handy. - I already had .308 dies, brass, factory loads and bullets at home, too.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 04-27-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMullis View Post

Bought a Remington 700 series 308. Looking for a good scope to maximize its potential. Please advise, thanks.
I wouldn't skip over the Nikon scopes, and if you have a little more cash to spend look at vortex, they have a lifetime warranty. Also Redfield and Leopold are great, as mentioned above.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #65
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21201 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I wouldn't skip over the Nikon scopes, and if you have a little more cash to spend look at vortex, they have a lifetime warranty. Also Redfield and Leopold are great, as mentioned above.
Nikon makes some pretty decent scopes for the price. i have had a few over the years and highly recommend them.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #66

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The 243 will take game up to deer size. The 308 will go bigger. With 110 gr bullets you can take small game. With the 180 or 200s you can take Bears. The 308 is much more versatile than the 243. I have both. I use the 243 for killing paper more than any thing. I use the 308 for hunting.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #67

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Ruger American is now available in 7mm-08.

I think this is one of the best deer cartridges out there. Much better than the 243 and has slightly less kick than a 308.

But then again I am partial to 7mm's.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
Ruger American is now available in 7mm-08.

I think this is one of the best deer cartridges out there. Much better than the 243 and has slightly less kick than a 308.

But then again I am partial to 7mm's.
I haven't seen any yet...

Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #69

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, haven't seen one in stock, just saw it on Ruger's web site. Added 2 calibers..... Don't recall the other one.

A dealer said he could get one in a week when I was looking fora new rifle.

I ended up with a Thompson Center Venture in 7mm-08.... Highly impressed with this rifle so far.

The quality of $500 and under rifles these days is impressive.

I had been using a 1962 Model 70 (.270) that my dad bought new. Really don't like taking that out much, since I want to keep it nice to pass on to my son.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1858 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 885

If you look at it with an OPEN MIND you will see the 7-08 is the most effective and efficient hunting calibers for non dangerous game on the market today! It ballistically mirrors the 7x57 but in a smaller package.
It can do anything the 243 or the 308 can do but do it better!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!