Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

What do mean by board? Are you going to judge this entire forum on one persons comments?

Edit: this is directed towards highpoweredguy

Feral cat waterboarder

orangello Likes This 
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #52
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
My regular deer gun was a Browning BLR lever rifle in .308 until I moved to west Texas, where the game is larger and further away than I am used to.

The ranches here specify 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag as minimum cartridges, so I'll be buying a 7mm mag bolt gun soon, to go along with my BLR on hunting excursions.

If I can use the .308 I will though, as that BLR handles very nice and is easy to carry around.
I have a pre 81 in 308 with a Williams Peep and fiber optic front. It is really a nice carry.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #53

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
What do mean by board? Are you going to judge this entire forum on one persons comments?

Edit: this is directed towards highpoweredguy

No, the combined ignorance of the forum posts I have seen. When i saw the app for this forum i thought "Hey I should try that out" now I see this was a mistake. In the real world I work real hard to encourage people to engage in rifle marksmanship and hunting. In doing so I am consistently amazed at the mis information inexperienced shooters are given. I had hoped that maybe I could shed a little light on some things here but I am now convinced that those who are ignorantly posting on forum boards are a whole lot more interested convincing everyone else than learning for themselves. I shoot with a man who posts on snipers hide. I will not drop his name out of respect for him. He still holds a few national records from the seventies that have never been beaten. He has the patience that I obviously do not. If you have a serious question post it there he will usually answer if things get off track.

BTW I never said the 308 was formed from the '06 re-read the posts and give credit where due.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #54

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

243 if all you are hunting is deer and smaller. Its an excellent deer caliber and with lighter bullets its a great varmit caliber. I see no need to beat yourself up with the .308 recoil when 243 can handle both jobs.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpowerguy View Post
No, the combined ignorance of the forum posts I have seen. When i saw the app for this forum i thought "Hey I should try that out" now I see this was a mistake.
Speaking for myself and not the forum, i'd advise you not to let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. If there is another forum you would prefer to be on, get on it; forum membership isn't a monogamous thing. I am a member of more than one forum and use them for different reasons; if I need detailed SKS geek info, there is a forum for that, etc.

This is a good forum. If you don't think so then improve it or move it; don't waste everyone's time bitchin about it like a cranky old woman.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn
308 can do anything a 243 will do. 243 will not do everything a 308 will do.

308 is the best all around white tail deer round on the market.

All of the above is my HMO, OMMV.

Gonna shoot varmints and 'yotes only, get a 243.
Bought a Remington 700 series 308. Looking for a good scope to maximize its potential. Please advise, thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim
This thread is going to get me in trouble. (LOL)

Those Are Fighting Words

There is no comparison between the two. It's like comparing Apples and Pineapples. While I love Apple pie, occasionaly an upside down pineapple cake is not too bad, but can not hold a candle to Mom's Apple Pie. (Dutch apple that is)

Bullet weights for the 243, range from 55 grains to 107 grains, speed from just over 1,000 fps to just under 4,000 fps at 60,000 psi.

Bullet weights for the 308, range from 110 grains to 190 grains, speed from 1000 fps to just under 3,100 fps at 62,000 psi.

While 2,000 psi doesn't sound like a lot, it is a hell of a lot more recoil.

The real question is why are you considering the 308, just get a real rifle in 30-06 springfield and use the grand dad of them all.

308 is a necked down 30-06 case, and 243 is a necked down 308 case.

I think JTJ had it right - just get a 270 (.277) and be done with it.

Jim
You sound very knowledgeable. Bought Remington 700 series 308. Looking for a good scope to maximize its potential. Please advise. Thanks.
Mike

Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #58

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

ask yourself what are going to do with it and how much you are going to spend.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #59

Liked 868 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

look up the history of the 220 Swift vs. the 22-250.
What you will see is lots of bad reporting in a day when steel was not produced as good as today. Writers in the 30's and 40's were prone to be against high velocity rounds. To many people took guns in 250-3000 and the 220 swift and tried to shoot stuff that is wasn't intended to shoot. Some shots produced spectacular kills when hit right but others when shot wrong, produced just the opposite. A .220 swift will last as long as any 22-250 with modern guns and powders. Then writers such as Elmer Keith pushed the slower rounds and BIG bullets to kill game. That led to certain writers to follow there heroes and post non truths. Jack O'Conner was one of the first to try and break that mold. Still the best to ever write about guns and how it pertained to hunting.

USMC 74-78

People Like This 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1640 Times on 978 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMullis View Post
You sound very knowledgeable. Bought Remington 700 series 308. Looking for a good scope to maximize its potential. Please advise. Thanks.
Mike
Buy the best glass you can afford. For general use the good old 3x9 is hard to beat. The 'base line' to me is a Leupold VX1 or a Redfield (made by Leupold).
Good hunting/shooting.
Welcome to the forum.
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!