243. Vs 308. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinet6 View Post
Which do you think is a better round? Which is more versatile? And why? Looking to buy a ruger American and I need some help on which caliber I should choose.
What are you going to use the rifle for?
__________________
Wambli is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

If you plan to hunt nothing but deer I would buy the 243. If you have any plans to hunt any thing bigger I would leave the pea shooter home and buy the 308 which will take anything in the lower 48 out to 500 yards very efficiently.
Here where I live the 308, 30-06 are the most common calibers to kill every thing from white tail to large mule deer, elk, black bear, and moose.
Other calibers are popular but these two are the most common and have proven them selves many times over.
If a 308 is considered a high recoil caliber maybe you should reconsider hunting big game. A 308 is known for its low recoil.

__________________
onenut58 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Salvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: High Cihuahuan Desert, West Texas
Posts: 289
Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

About burning out .243 barrels:

58 grn Hornady V-Max
47.5 grn H380
@ 3800 fps

58 grn Hornady V-Max
43 grn VARGET
@ 3700 fps

If you regularly shoot 58 grain varmint bullets at or near max loadings, the throat in a .243 will start to deteriorate pretty soon, but it will still take you a while to "burn out the barrel".

So - it is possible but you would have to work at it.

Hardly anybody shoots the light bullets at max velocity in a .243, but enough have to start the "barrel burn-out" stories circulating. The guys that do this sort of thing tend to think of burning out a barrel as a bragging point, so yes, the stories do get exaggerated.

Shooting 85-110 grain bullets commonly utilized for deer hunting, or the 70 grain varmint bullets that my gun prefers accuracy-wise, the chances of burning out the barrel in a .243 Winchester are quite remote.

On .308 vs .243:

Since both are accurate rounds that do a great job on deer, I'd go with the .243 on account of the reduced recoil, and more easily obtainable ammunition since .243 is seldom chambered in "tactical" arms.

This assumes though that deer will be the largest game shot at. - If anything larger or more dangerous than deer are a serious possibility, then I'd go with the .308.

__________________

Kind Regards, Salvo


Last edited by Salvo; 04-24-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Salvo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yorkville,ohio
Posts: 151
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpowerguy View Post
Never said the recoil was comparable I said the 30-06 was more versatile. If you are that recoil sensitive then by all means get a smaller gun... Not sure why one would choose a smaller bullet traveling slower at longer ranges?
Well for one i was in army 14 yrs and saw the range and firepower of the 7.62-308 , just more accurate for me than any 06, they dont use 30.06 in sniper rifles in todays army for a reason. i think it has more long range potential then an 06 i have shot both and seen what snipers and real shooters can do with the 308.leo swat snipers all use 308s as well i mean there has to be a reason and i have missed way more long shots with the 06 then i ever did with the 308 , may just be me but to me it is better for long range and depends on who and what that round is loaded with.I load my own.so hope that answers ya ? my freind.and slower? my 308 loads are pushing at over 2800 fps, the 06 is usually about 2700 with the same 150 grain bullet, powder and primer..Guess its a matter of choice and what has worked better for me.and for long range shooting i favor the 168 grain bthp in my 308.
__________________

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-24-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Milsurpshooter60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Salvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: High Cihuahuan Desert, West Texas
Posts: 289
Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
Well for one i was in army 14 yrs and saw the range and firepower of the 7.62-308 , just more accurate for me than any 06, they dont use 30.06 in sniper rifles in todays army for a reason. i think it has more long range potential then an 06 i have shot both and seen what snipers and real shooters can do with the 308.leo swat snipers all use 308s as well i mean there has to be a reason and i have missed way more long shots with the 06 then i ever did with the 308 , may just be me but to me it is better for long range and depends on who and what that round is loaded with.I load my own.so hope that answers ya ? my freind.and slower? my 308 loads are pushing at over 2800 fps, the 06 is usually about 2700 with the same 150 grain bullet, powder and primer..Guess its a matter of choice and what has worked better for me.and for long range shooting i favor the 168 grain bthp in my 308.
Attitude counts for a lot.

If you are not as confident with the 30-06 as you are with the .308, then, all else being equal, you will shoot the .308 better.

Military snipers use .308 because it is a current military chambering.
__________________

Kind Regards, Salvo

Salvo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,480
Liked 2465 Times on 1600 Posts

Default

The .308 is being replaced by the .300 win mag as a medium range sniper cartridge, correct?

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 44
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60

Well for one i was in army 14 yrs and saw the range and firepower of the 7.62-308 , just more accurate for me than any 06, they dont use 30.06 in sniper rifles in todays army for a reason. i think it has more long range potential then an 06 i have shot both and seen what snipers and real shooters can do with the 308.leo swat snipers all use 308s as well i mean there has to be a reason and i have missed way more long shots with the 06 then i ever did with the 308 , may just be me but to me it is better for long range and depends on who and what that round is loaded with.I load my own.so hope that answers ya ? my freind.and slower? my 308 loads are pushing at over 2800 fps, the 06 is usually about 2700 with the same 150 grain bullet, powder and primer..Guess its a matter of choice and what has worked better for me.and for long range shooting i favor the 168 grain bthp in my 308.

Your velocities are out of date because you are referencing old military ball ammo that was designed for the M-1 which had a weakness in the op rod that prevented slower burning powders from being used.
The military knew that they could duplicate the performance with a smaller case and modern powders and that would allow them to transport more ammo, and so was born the 7.62x51 NATO and the M1A/M14
There is something to be said for the 308 performing well through a variety of different ammo because of its higher pressure and faster powders, and I will give you that. However the reason the military uses the 308 for sniper rifles is for logistical reasons not because it is the best performer.
The police snipers use the .308 for uniformity and testing reasons (you have to have a lot of documentation in law enforcement) it is far easier to use .308 than to pay to get all of your own testing done and then have it scrutinized in court.
The standard for sniper testing on my counties swat team is a four inch cranial ball at 200 yards, hardly what i would consider precision shooting.
The two active duty Army snipers that I shoot with have told me that if a shot is over 300 yards they will try to grab the .50 for fear of missing due to the ballistic limitations of the .308 Most units in today's Army don't want a bolt gun in their squad at all, which has resulted in a great decline in the use of the .308 in favor of the SDM rifle.

My 30-06 hunting load is a 180 gr Hornady BTSP that chrono's about 2750 from the muzzle (before you say anything I own a chrono so I know what my velocities are) most 150 gr factory loaded ammo leaves the muzzle around 2950 -3000 fps ( Hornady makes some that run 3100) so I'm sorry but I cannot find a ballistic advantage anywhere in the .308. And when my 06 will shoot a 3/4 MOA group with my hand loads I can't find a significant difference in accuracy for a hunting rifle.

Real Shooters!?
Well, I was only an infantryman in the 82nd for four years, but for the last ten I have been shooting NRA high power and CMP service rifle competition.
Out of curiosity where did you finish in the P-100 the last time you shot at camp perry. I was 330 something (Anonymity) out of over 1200 competitors.
Also what's your NRA classification card say on it. Mine says Master.
I was also ranked 17th in the south east region vintage rifle category by the CMP that year.
So until you can break 190 on a full length 600 yard MR target don't talk to me about real shooters.
__________________
highpowerguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,498
Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default

Three O' eight is where it's at, I mean you can usually shoot 7.62x51mm surplus ammo in a .308 gun so that makes more sense to me to buy a gun that is more versatile in it's ammo selection/dual caliber and can take almost any game.BTW I have a Ruger .308 American and it's not bad at all.

sdc10383.jpg  
__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

ninjatoth is offline  
303tom Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yorkville,ohio
Posts: 151
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
Attitude counts for a lot.

If you are not as confident with the 30-06 as you are with the .308, then, all else being equal, you will shoot the .308 better.

Military snipers use .308 because it is a current military chambering.
Exactly, it has worked for me for many many yrs to use the 308 with the 168 grain than my 06 , but that is just me and does the job just as well as the 06 , i have never had anything get up from either cartridge, but will admit when i hunted thicker woods the 06 pushed right on through most anything but an oak tree lol.just for open country shooting across from hill to hill my 308 has always been the most accurate.and is not slower then the 06 at all not my loads anyway,s.
__________________
Milsurpshooter60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
308 can do anything a 243 will do. 243 will not do everything a 308 will do.

308 is the best all around white tail deer round on the market.

All of the above is my HMO, OMMV.

Gonna shoot varmints and 'yotes only, get a 243.
Amen Gator!
__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes