Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68

Scroll down to near the bottom of the above link provided by rickster and you will see .243 at the top of a list of ''proven'' deer hunting calibers with less kick than .308, 270, 30-06. Nice find by the rickster.
It's at the top of the list because its the lowest caliber you should use. As you scroll down they get better. 243, in my opinion, is better suited for the hunter who has problems with recoil. True, if well placed, 243 is sufficient but why not a little more kick and help reach success.
__________________

Last edited by rickster; 05-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.
rickster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #152
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,567
Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Uh, I believe I did address the point you made. Your point was that any cartridge bullet must have at least a sectional density of .250 to be a bonifide deer sized game killer. When I showed you a published reference to a .243 bullet that has a sectional density of .254 which makes the .243 a bonifide deer killer, you just ignored it accused me and others of being "spoiled little kids," instead of being a man and owning up to the fact that you have been proven wrong. And don't get mad and call us names just because we don't agree with you, even when glaring facts stare you in the face.
ct
I think you are upset because I refuse to recommend your 'favorite' caliber to people because it is marginal, which the facts show it is. The facts don't change no matter how much you like it. And you are truly prejudice if you refuse to admit the 260 and 7-08 are better choices for the average or beginning hunters then your beloved 243 for all big game including deer!
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakeland,Florida
Posts: 1,430
Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default the ch article

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I have not kept up with the entire thread but the link below shows an article with a reference table from bad to best deer cartridges. True that 243 will kill a deer but its the minimal, smallest, caliber recommended. Why would you use the minimal with so many more to choose from. Would you use a 22 short for ccw just because, placed in the perfect spot it can stop a BG? I'm sure if your a ccw carrier, your gun is bigger than that.

This whole thread started with a member asking which is best, 243 vs 308, lets all be honest and admit that the 308 will do a better job of taking down deer than a 243 with barely noticeable recoil difference.

JimRau I totally agree with your post but I believe cottontop has stock in some bullet manufacturer who only makes 243. Lol.


http://www.chuckhawks.com/bad_deer_cartridges.htm

The Chuck Hawks article is actually pretty good. But, notice he gives a list of cartridges that would be a poor choice for deer, and the .243 is not on that list. He then gives a list of cartridges that he says a deer hunter would be well equipped to hunt deer with and the .243/6mm is on that list. I completely agree.

I personally don't even hunt deer, at least not anymore, being disabled; but, if I did hunt deer, I would not hesitate to use my .243 or my 6mm Rem. I have many rifles heavier than the .243 I could use. I might pick my custom Mauser in 6.5x55, or my Husqvarna 8x57, my Ruger #1 single shot or any number of others. My gripe is that when someone makes a statement that is a grave error and will not admit when he is wrong when shown proof, then I can't let it go; I just have to chime in. BTW, I wish I did own stock in a bullet company, then I might convince them to bring back the 100 grain .243round nose, and the 154 grain 7mm round nose.
ct
__________________

Last edited by cottontop; 05-09-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: addition
cottontop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #154
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,567
Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
It's at the top of the list because its the lowest caliber you should use. As you scroll down they get better. 243, in my opinion, is better suited for the hunter who has problems with recoil. True, if well placed, 243 is sufficient but why not a little more kick and help reach success.
The difference in felt recoil between the 243 and the 260 or 7-08 is not enough to matter, BUT the terminal performance of the 260 or 7-08 is FAR better than the 243. Justs facts one should consider when make a choice to get a hunting rifle for a person of smaller stature.
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #155
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 506
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

I did a detailed comparison of the 243 vs it's 6.5mm rivals. The mid ranged 6.5s (260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x55) all hold every possible advantage over the 243 other then a very slight increase in recoil. The 6.5s shoot a higher BC 120gr bullet further, flatter, and with more downrange energy then comparable 100gr 243 caliber loads.
I do consider the 243 adequate for deer class game, but in the dense conditions I hunt tracking could be a real pain so I much prefer my 6.5x55 which hits deer like a freight train and kicks so light I get to watch them drop through the scope. Absolutely no tracking needed to date.
7mm-08 is a good one too, but with 140gr it does have a noticable increase in recoil vs the 243. I have a very accurate 2850fps 120gr load for mine that any child could shoot.

__________________

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-09-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Apex-Predator is offline  
cottontop Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #156
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakeland,Florida
Posts: 1,430
Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default 6.5x55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I did a detailed comparison of the 243 vs it's 6.5mm rivals. The mid ranged 6.5s (260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x55) all hold every possible advantage over the 243 other then a very slight increase in recoil. The 6.5s shoot a higher BC 120gr bullet further, flatter, and with more downrange energy then comparable 100gr 243 caliber loads.
I do consider the 243 adequate for deer class game, but in the dense conditions I hunt tracking could be a real pain so I much prefer my 6.5x55 which hits deer like a freight train and kicks so light I get to watch them drop through the scope. Absolutely no tracking needed to date.
7mm-08 is a good one too, but with 140gr it does have a noticable increase in recoil vs the 243. I have a very accurate 2850fps 120gr load for mine that any child could shoot.

I completely agree. I have a beautiful custom 6.5x55 Swede on a 1909 Argentine action that is the perfect all round deer (and other game) gun. In fact, the 6.5 x55 is my favorite round of all time, not the .243 (even though I own and like the .243) like some people on the forum think, though I never actually said that. But, the sectional density of the 120 grain 6.5 bullet is only .247 which is below what our friend, Mr.JR, says is proper for deer sized game. The 120 grain 6.5 has been dropping deer for years. Now how can that be? I guess the deer have not read that the SD of the 120 grain 6.5 bullet is not adequate for them. You would think that the big "know it all" guys would check the published facts before making all of these hasty statements.
ct
__________________
cottontop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #157
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 506
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

?? The long standing guidline was a .200 SD as the minimum for deer class game. Besides the legendary 130gr 270 Win is only a .242 SD, and the ever popular 150gr 30-06 is only a a puny .226 SD, I would wager this Mr Jr has no earthly idea what he is talking about, not even close actually, especially since bullet construction is just as critical as SD to penetration. I use a 120gr in my 6.5x55 as my primary hunting load and not only does it hammer deer with an authority but it has always left a sizable exit would. I think the 6.5x55 is the perfect level of power for deer, it puts them down in a hurry without blowing up the whole front half of the deer like my 30-06 does at full stroke.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
cottontop Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes