243. Vs 308. - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #141
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
I honestly cannot speak of other states restrictions as i have no direct knowledge of them. I imagine shotgun only restrictions have something to do with the population of a given area and the potential flight time/distance of a rifles projectile (?). Im sure the sates that have such laws don't believe that a rifle is incapable of harvesting game animals. Others may already have those laws in their counties or states, but they still have a right to go else where to hunt. If you don't like your states laws or restrictions, then move, but don't tell me Im not allowed to do something because you are not allowed too! (or in this case I'm incapable of killing with a .243 because he is incapable). If I was on someones property and they said shot guns only, I would follow their rules out of respect for them and their property. But saying a caliber should be outlawed because you personally have seen bad results with it just means you are in the company of poor marksmen, it does not reflect on the capabilities of the cartridge itself. IMO its not any different from saying Glocks should be outlawed because of a handful of Glock leg(s). The point I am trying to make is in your signature... (a vote is like a rifle...)

its not the cartridge, its the shooter.
in the state i live in, Texas, we can use any centerfire caliber for game hunting. doesn't mean i would ever use a 223 or a 22-250 personally, but it's legal to do so.

the person still has to make an informed decision on what he uses to hunt with. IMO i consider that the 243 is at the bottom of being an adequate caliber for deer hunting. and yes i have used the 243 in the past for deer hunting, successfully i might add, but still feel that there are better calibers.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #142
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 481
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default

In 1955, Winchester developed the 243 by simply necking down the 308 Winchester case to accept 24-caliber bullets. The 243 became very popular and most major rifle makers offer it as a standard cartridge. Because of its light recoil, the 243 is often picked as the first rifle for new shooters. Although it is appropriate for game animals up to and including deer and antelope with a 100 grain bullet, it is definitely underpowered for elk, moose and caribou. This is taken right out of the Spear reloading manual. I'm not for or against what is being said on this forum because I've never hunted with or shot a 243.

__________________
Crazycastor is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #143
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mdauben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 441
Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
What do you consider the maximum effective range of a 243 for whitetails?
Just to stir the pot a bit more. I have heard 1000FP and 1800FPS proposed by more than one source as rules of thumb for deer sized game. The .243 will exceed those levels out to 400 yards or more with commercial loads.
__________________
mdauben is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #144
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

I have to agree with others on there post that the 243 is undersized for big game such as Elk or Moose.

I also would think that if I was going for one of the big cats I would like something bigger. Such as a 358 Winchester or say the 350 Remington magnum. Yes I know when they were hunted out west with dogs they used a 22 to the head to put them down. They didn't want to damage the hide.

As I stated earlier I think the 243 is good for game up to Deer sized. If I was hunting in a part of the country where you could run into a Bear I would want a bigger caliber than the 243. I would want a bigger caliber than the 308 even though it could be loaded up with 180gr or 200gr bullets. I would want at very least a 358 Winchester.

Yes I know you could take bigger game than Deer with the 243. People take Bear with a bow. That don't mean I want to try it. Just what I want to do is poke a animal with a stick that could gut you with a swipe of its pawl.

If I am hunting I want to use the weapon that I know I can use and will take the animal down with one shot and quickly.

I had been using a 12 gage for hunting Deer and changed to my 30-30 Contender with a 10" barrel. All Deer I have hit with a slug dropped in there tracks. When hit with a 150 gr JHP in the heart it ran 50 yards and fell dead. I went back to the slug gun. It kills quicker.

As we know it is up to each person to use what they think will do the job best for them. In the great state of Indiana we can't use a 243 for deer. We have to use a 358 bullet and a case length no longer than 1.80" in a rifle. You can use a 243 in a hand gun on deer and some do. I have used a 44mag on Deer with the effects I was looking for. The shot was taken from about fifty yards and it took two steps and dropped dead. The shot took out both lungs and the heart.

I say use what you can shoot the best with and place your shots well and you will do fine.

__________________
Ishooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #145
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 528
Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

243 vs 308, well you have to boil down the usual BS to get to the bottom of that one, I think mostly in terms of deer hunting so I'll give you my perspective. No doubt the 243 shoots flatter in general, but the usefulness of that is limited because it only maintains ethical killing energy (1000 ft/lbs 1800fps) out to around the 300 yard mark with hunting bullets. The 308 maintains that power closer to 500 yards with good hunting bullets, so despite it's bullet drop it is the more effective option at range. What the 243 is really good for is a dual purpose varmint/deer rifle because it is just as at home vaporizing varmints with 55gr Ballistic Tips as it is throwing 100gr Core-lokts at deer, the 308 is rather one dimensional in comparison. Me personally I don't hunt varmints much, so I opted for the 308 over the 243, the 308 has become one of my favorites, but still behind the 6.5x55 and 7mm-08 for deer in my book.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #146
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The point I am TRYING to make is even IF the shot is placed properly the small light fast bullets are more likely to not give you the desired result. AND many people do not realize this!!! There are very few people who take the time to do their homework when it comes to terminal ballistics and big game hunting/bullets!
The rule of thumb for MANY years is to use bullets of AT LEAST .250 SD for big game. Check the SD on these light fast bullets...
Add to this the high velocity factor and lack of weight and you have a formula for disaster when it come to big game hunting!!!
I have witnessed it WAY TO MANY TIMES in my life.

By your own admittance, a bullet should have a sectional density of at least .250 for big game. OK then. The 105 grain Speer .243 bullet has a sctional density of .254, as stated in the Speer Manual #10, page 142! So now what's your problem w/ the .243? You now have to admit that what you have been saying for quite a while now is wrong. What you have actually done is to use some of the facts and not all of the facts to try to prove your point, though I seriously doubt that you actually knew all of the facts anyway. So now, please admit that the .243 is not "marginal" for deer, but is in fact totally adequate and a good choice for deer sized game. The defense rests.
ct
__________________
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #147
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,089
Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Default

I wish people would stop acting like a bunch of spoiled little kids having a temper tantrum and READ what I said and address the point I made.

__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #148
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default .243

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I wish people would stop acting like a bunch of spoiled little kids having a temper tantrum and READ what I said and address the point I made.

Uh, I believe I did address the point you made. Your point was that any cartridge bullet must have at least a sectional density of .250 to be a bonifide deer sized game killer. When I showed you a published reference to a .243 bullet that has a sectional density of .254 which makes the .243 a bonifide deer killer, you just ignored it accused me and others of being "spoiled little kids," instead of being a man and owning up to the fact that you have been proven wrong. And don't get mad and call us names just because we don't agree with you, even when glaring facts stare you in the face.
ct
__________________
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #149
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop

By your own admittance, a bullet should have a sectional density of at least .250 for big game. OK then. The 105 grain Speer .243 bullet has a sctional density of .254, as stated in the Speer Manual #10, page 142! So now what's your problem w/ the .243? You now have to admit that what you have been saying for quite a while now is wrong. What you have actually done is to use some of the facts and not all of the facts to try to prove your point, though I seriously doubt that you actually knew all of the facts anyway. So now, please admit that the .243 is not "marginal" for deer, but is in fact totally adequate and a good choice for deer sized game. The defense rests.
ct
I have not kept up with the entire thread but the link below shows an article with a reference table from bad to best deer cartridges. True that 243 will kill a deer but its the minimal, smallest, caliber recommended. Why would you use the minimal with so many more to choose from. Would you use a 22 short for ccw just because, placed in the perfect spot it can stop a BG? I'm sure if your a ccw carrier, your gun is bigger than that.

This whole thread started with a member asking which is best, 243 vs 308, lets all be honest and admit that the 308 will do a better job of taking down deer than a 243 with barely noticeable recoil difference.

JimRau I totally agree with your post but I believe cottontop has stock in some bullet manufacturer who only makes 243. Lol.


http://www.chuckhawks.com/bad_deer_cartridges.htm
__________________

Last edited by rickster; 05-08-2013 at 04:05 PM.
rickster is offline  
cottontop Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 597
Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I have not kept up with the entire thread but the link below shows an article with a reference table from bad to best deer cartridges. True that 243 will kill a deer but its the minimal, smallest, caliber recommended. Why would you use the minimal with so many more to choose from. Would you use a 22 short for ccw just because, placed in the perfect spot it can stop a BG? I'm sure if your a ccw carrier, your gun is bigger than that.

This whole thread started with a member asking which is best, 243 vs 308, lets all be honest and admit that the 308 will do a better job of taking down deer than a 243 with barely noticeable recoil difference.

JimRau I totally agree with your post but I believe cottontop has stock in some bullet manufacturer who only makes 243. Lol.


http://www.chuckhawks.com/bad_deer_cartridges.htm


Scroll down to near the bottom of the above link provided by rickster and you will see .243 at the top of a list of ''proven'' deer hunting calibers with less kick than .308, 270, 30-06. Nice find by the rickster.
__________________
bamashooter68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes