243. Vs 308. - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,027
Liked 1494 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Default

That doesn't mean it still isn't fun arguing a point. Personally, I've really enjoyed this. My best friend passed away a year and half ago. The two of us had been arguing about this same thing for over 20 years. He went to a 300mag after bad 270 experiences. He finally ended up with a 7mm mag and used it for years. I'm not even going to try and guess how many deer he killed with that 7mm mag. Funny thing is he started with a .308 and never had a problem but he thought he needed more. Our other friend went to the .243 when we were teenagers and he never lost a deer until he went to a 7mm mag. My friend that passed never missed an opportunity to kid our other friend about using a wimpy caliber, and that's why our other friend eventually got the 7mm mag he used to loose his first deer.

So yes I've really enjoy this. It's been too long since I've had this argument.

And while I'm strolling down memory lane here, the three of us went out one day and set up targets at 300 yards. My friend that passed fired 3 shots with his browning 7mm mag. 2 barely hit the paper and one missed. Our other friend fired 3 shots with his 243 and his new 7mm mag, and had similar results. I pulled out my old Enfield .303 British that my friend called old and decrepit. I put three shots just off the bulls eye and in a 3" group. Needles to say I never let either of them live that one down!

Being able to hit your mark is what puts deer in the freezer. The gun and caliber are almost irrelevant so long as you can put the bullet where you want it.

__________________

Last edited by TLuker; 05-04-2013 at 05:23 AM.
TLuker is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #122
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 599
Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
243 is for girls who can't handle recoil. Shot placement has to be just right or your prey is gone and will most likely bleed to death in the woods. 308 might not be perfect but it sure will take deer and larger prey down better.
Ive got more guns than you do ignorant comments (well maybe not that many) and my go to rifle is my 30-06 but you guys dogging the .243 are just flat wrong. Im out on this one. Its like talking to my dog, he just sits there wagging his tail and licking his balls and aint understanding a word Im saying.
__________________
bamashooter68 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,657
Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

Default

Remington and federal both make reduced recoil .308 loads, federal even offers it in the fusion load. Or handload to .30-30 or x39 velocities if recoil is a problem. I'm not slamming the .243, but to answer the op's question, I would get the .308. A bag of military brass is cheaper than any .243 brass, isn't it?

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #124
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Rickster, i am hardly recoil shy and i like the 243. i own many different rifles in various calibers, though currently am lacking a 243 which will be rectified in the near future.

the 243 is simply a 308 necked down to a 6mm caliber. it's an excellent caliber for young hunters or shooters moving up to a centerfire caliber. i know, it was my first one.

making such remarks is really quite silly. such remarks display a lack of maturity to the subject being discussed.

Just testing reactions. Meant no insult to anyone.

Honestly, we just keep saying the same things over and over again. 243, 308, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300, what you use and what you have success with depends on the ability of the shooter.
__________________
rickster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Rickster, i am hardly recoil shy and i like the 243. i own many different rifles in various calibers, though currently am lacking a 243 which will be rectified in the near future.

the 243 is simply a 308 necked down to a 6mm caliber. it's an excellent caliber for young hunters or shooters moving up to a centerfire caliber. i know, it was my first one.

making such remarks is really quite silly. such remarks display a lack of maturity to the subject being discussed.
Just testing reactions. Meant no insult to anyone.

Honestly, we just keep saying the same things over and over again. 243, 308, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300, what you use and what you have success with depends on the ability of the shooter.
__________________
rickster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 481
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default

What about if we compared a .243 to a .357 pistol for hunting white tail deer which people do. Which caliber would be more ethical to hunt deer with? If we change it up from another view point I would almost bet everyone would say the .243. I don't hunt with either but reading through all of these post I wonder if people think about the difference in size between a elk and a white tail deer. If you compare the .243 bullet to a white tail deer and the weight of a white tail deer to a elk and say a 308/30-06 and the size and weight of an elk. Aren't the bullets doing the same damage to the animals when they get hit by each? This is a question not a statement.

__________________
Crazycastor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #127
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,148
Liked 2067 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
What about if we compared a .243 to a .357 pistol for hunting white tail deer which people do. Which caliber would be more ethical to hunt deer with? If we change it up from another view point I would almost bet everyone would say the .243. I don't hunt with either but reading through all of these post I wonder if people think about the difference in size between a elk and a white tail deer. If you compare the .243 bullet to a white tail deer and the weight of a white tail deer to a elk and say a 308/30-06 and the size and weight of an elk. Aren't the bullets doing the same damage to the animals when they get hit by each? This is a question not a statement.
I guess many don't get it.
Both the 357 and 223/243 can take deer BUT they are subject to some strict limitations!!! If you understand these limitations and have the knowledge and discipline to hunt within the limitations so be it.
The point I have been trying to get across and the emotions of some get in the way is:
FOR THE AVERAGE OR BEGINNING HUNTER THESE ARE NOT THE CALIBERS (223/243/357) I WOULD RECOMMEND OR ADVISE BECAUSE OF THEIR STRICT LIMITATIONS!
Nuff said!
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!


Last edited by JimRau; 05-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #128
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
What about if we compared a .243 to a .357 pistol for hunting white tail deer which people do. Which caliber would be more ethical to hunt deer with? If we change it up from another view point I would almost bet everyone would say the .243. I don't hunt with either but reading through all of these post I wonder if people think about the difference in size between a elk and a white tail deer. If you compare the .243 bullet to a white tail deer and the weight of a white tail deer to a elk and say a 308/30-06 and the size and weight of an elk. Aren't the bullets doing the same damage to the animals when they get hit by each? This is a question not a statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I guess many don't get it.
Both the 357 and 223/243 can take deer BUT they are subject to some strict limitations!!! If you understand these limitations and have the knowledge and discipline to hunt within the limitations so be it.
The point I have been trying to get across and the emotions of some get in the way is:
FOR THE AVERAGE HUNTER THESE ARE NOT THE CALIBERS (223/243/357) I WOULD RECOMMEND OR ADVISE BECAUSE OF THEIR STRICT LIMITATIONS!
Nuff said!
i have a co-worker that sometimes hunts deer with his 44 Magnum revolver, a S&W with a 8.75" barrel and 1-4 power scope. he limits his shots to 50 yards or less. he also sometime will use his Contender in 7-30 Waters and limits his shots to 100 yards or less with that pistol.

knowing your limitations and those of the round you are using is a key factor. proper shot placement and choosing the fight bullet are other factor to be considered.

people wound and lose deer many times by not realizing their limitations and by over compensating their inablity to shoot by going to larger or magnum calibers.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 612
Liked 266 Times on 171 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinet6
Which do you think is a better round? Which is more versatile? And why? Looking to buy a ruger American and I need some help on which caliber I should choose.
Both will kill deer, or even elk with proper shot placement.

The 243 is a lot better varmint round.

Whichever you get, shoot it enough that you are accurate with it. Not just 3 out 5 on a paper plate at 50-yds accurate. But, 9 out of 10 into half gallon milk boxes at 300-yds accurate. (Milk boxes because they are the size of the heart/lung kill zone of a deer, and you get very immediate feed back when you hit them.)
__________________
jigs-n-fixture is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #130
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Ive got more guns than you do ignorant comments (well maybe not that many) and my go to rifle is my 30-06 but you guys dogging the .243 are just flat wrong. Im out on this one. Its like talking to my dog, he just sits there wagging his tail and licking his balls and aint understanding a word Im saying.
You've IGNORED the fact that you have absolutely no idea how many guns I may have or how many comments I can come up with. Never ASSUME cause you know what they say. lol.
__________________
rickster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes