243. Vs 308. - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243. Vs 308.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Jim,
The problem with this kind of thinking is that someone might think that because they have a cartridge larger than 6mm, they can take any shot they want and the larger caliber will compensate for their mistakes in distance, bullet choice, bullet placement, etc. We are now getting into dangerous territory, unless you WANT to track wounded game. The fact is that if there is a chance of not being able to make a good shot because of angle, distance, or whatever, then the shot should not be taken with ANY cartridge being it a 7mm, 30 caliber, or even larger. A well placed shot with the proper bullet for the job will result in a clean kill no matter what the cartridge; EVEN THE .243!!!!!
ct
The problem with the 'other' side is ignorance. And if they 'use enough gun' they can make shots count which would be marginal with the 'little' gun. I hear this argument all the time and it does not hold water. If you take the 'average' hunter he is better off with a caliber/bullet which is not plagued with the limitations of the 'small light fast' caliber/bullet combinations (223/243). If you and others here have the knowledge and discipline to use the little guns effectively then go for it, but please don't try and make believe they are the 'right' caliber/bullet combination for the average hunter.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 05-03-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #102

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Silly little boy, 243 is for girls. Man up to it, get a 308.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
Silly little boy, 243 is for girls. Man up to it, get a 308.
I have both the 308 and 7-08. If you go to the 7-08 you will probably not use the 308 much!!!
I got the 308 with a 10 rd mag and 16.5 bbl specifically for hogs. But the 7-08 is my 'go to' general purpose gun!!!
I push hard for those who are looking for a gun for 'small' people to consider the 7-08 or the 260 Rem over the 243.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #104

Default unbelieveable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The problem with the 'other' side is ignorance. And if they 'use enough gun' they can make shots count which would be marginal with the 'little' gun. I hear this argument all the time and it does not hold water. If you take the 'average' hunter he is better off with a caliber/bullet which is not plagued with the limitations of the 'small light fast' caliber/bullet combinations (223/243). If you and others here have the knowledge and discipline to use the little guns effectively then go for it, but please don't try and make believe they are the 'right' caliber/bullet combination for the average hunter.

These comments are totally unbelieveable. I am completely stunned. The total lack of knowledge and the passing himself off as an expert on guns and hunting is utterly disgusting pure and simple illfounded biased nonsense.
Any of you young beginning hunters, do yourselves and the game a favor and start off with a .243 and 100 grain bullets. Get proficient with it and only take shots where you can put the bullet into the vitals and shots that you can confidently make.
ct

Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #105

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

I have both the 308 and 7-08. If you go to the 7-08 you will probably not use the 308 much!!!
I got the 308 with a 10 rd mag and 16.5 bbl specifically for hogs. But the 7-08 is my 'go to' general purpose gun!!!
I push hard for those who are looking for a gun for 'small' people to consider the 7-08 or the 260 Rem over the 243.
The point is that 308 is more versatile than 243. 7-08 and 260 rem aren't as available and/or common as 308. Just about every ammo manufacturer makes a wide selection in multiple grains. It's what I use and have had awesome success with. It's not that complicated.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
These comments are totally unbelieveable. I am completely stunned. The total lack of knowledge and the passing himself off as an expert on guns and hunting is utterly disgusting pure and simple illfounded biased nonsense.
Any of you young beginning hunters, do yourselves and the game a favor and start off with a .243 and 100 grain bullets. Get proficient with it and only take shots where you can put the bullet into the vitals and shots that you can confidently make.
ct
I would advise any of you young hunters stay away from the 243 unless you are a varmint hunter and do yourself a favor and get a 7mm-08. This caliber is tens times better at taking game and the recoil is not noticeably greater than the 243. You can 'grow' with the rifle and use it for a lifetime of hunting and you will not experience the trauma of wounding as many animals as you will with the 'little' 243.
But if you do elect to listen to emotion rather than logic and use a 243 do as cotton said and do not use bullets less than 100 grains!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
The point is that 308 is more versatile than 243. 7-08 and 260 rem aren't as available and/or common as 308. Just about every ammo manufacturer makes a wide selection in multiple grains. It's what I use and have had awesome success with. It's not that complicated.
I agree. But I load most of my own ammo so this availability issue is not a big one for me. The ammo, until recently, was more readily available for the 308 than the 7-08, but not so now. I guess the fact the 308 is a 'military' caliber made it very scarce now, but 7-08 is not hard to find.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #108
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21984 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Jim, i beg to differ. the first centerfire rifle i learned to shot was a 243. i took my first deer with my father's rifle. we used my father's handloads with about a 100-105 gr. SP bullet. most of the places i hunted using that rifle were usually about 150 yards or less at the longest. the longest shot i ever took on a deer was about 125 yards. most of the deer i took were about 75 yards. none of the deer i took ever took more than about a few steps before dropping. the most i ever had one go was about 10-15 yards before dropping.

i consider the 243/6mm bullets to be the minimum i would use for deer sized game, but perfectly adequate if the hunter uses proper ammo and some common sense and good shot placement. i would probably pick a little larger caliber these days than the 243 as a preference, but if all i had in collection was a 243 and the proper ammo, i would not feel undergunned for deer hunting.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #109
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I have heard stories of deer being taken down quickly with a .22 hornet. Shot placement is everything.

Oh, and just to throw a wrench into the works, I vote 6.5x55mm Swede. Extremely good ballistics, great deer cartridge, and has been know to beat out .308 and 30-06 when it comes to accuracy out to a certain distance. (not sure of the exact distance, but its farther than most people shoot or hunt at.)

Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

There's a 3rd option that's VERY versatile, the same rifle in .30-06. That's what I got...