243. Vs 308. - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

243. Vs 308.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8211 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 7994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
.243 vs .308...........

"One" can be used,quite well with cast bullets...........the other,good luck.

I've taken a few deer with cast bullets. But they were fired from a .45-70.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #92

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Most of my friends who's wife's hunt use 243 for their wife's due to less recoil. I live and hunt in south central Georgia, mostly white tail deer and wild hog. My preferred rifle is a Remington 700, 308 win. Great all around.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

We are all saying the same thing here. IF you have the discipline to not exceed the limitations of the caliber you hunt with you can take game, BUT few people are like my friends wife I described above and they exceed the limitations of the 243 (many simply use the wrong bullets) and end up wounding game animals which would have been taken cleanly and humanely with a larger caliber bullet which would penetrate better.
MANY elephants were taken with the 7x57 too, but the person shooting took only perfectly aligned shots and knew the capabilities of the caliber and bullets he was using. So I guess if you use the logic of some here a 7x57 is a good elephant gun, right?????
locutus Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 4474

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We are all saying the same thing here. IF you have the discipline to not exceed the limitations of the caliber you hunt with you can take game, BUT few people are like my friends wife I described above and they exceed the limitations of the 243 (many simply use the wrong bullets) and end up wounding game animals which would have been taken cleanly and humanely with a larger caliber bullet which would penetrate better.
MANY elephants were taken with the 7x57 too, but the person shooting took only perfectly aligned shots and knew the capabilities of the caliber and bullets he was using. So I guess if you use the logic of some here a 7x57 is a good elephant gun, right?????
Yes, 7x57 is an excellent caliber for elephants (Bell already proved it). I would take it in a heartbeat over something that was going to dislocate my shoulder blue every time I pulled the trigger. It also happens to be my favorite caliber!

You are right in that we are all saying the same thing. For me it boils down to accuracy vs power. A more powerful caliber will compensate for some error, such as giving better penetration as you stated. It will also do more damage and mushroom into a much larger diameter, which again will compensate for some error in shot placement. But that power comes at price. It generates more recoil. For a lot of people the ability to compensate for some error isn't enough to make up for their inability to shoot the rifle accurately because of the recoil.

How much more accurate would a lot of people be with a 243 rather than a 300 mag? Is that extra power from a 300 mag enough to compensate for their loss in accuracy? Is that extra power from the 300mag really needed for most large game? The answers to those questions are going to be just opinions, but it is something to think about.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Yes, 7x57 is an excellent caliber for elephants (Bell already proved it). I would take it in a heartbeat over something that was going to dislocate my shoulder blue every time I pulled the trigger. It also happens to be my favorite caliber!

You are right in that we are all saying the same thing. For me it boils down to accuracy vs power. A more powerful caliber will compensate for some error, such as giving better penetration as you stated. It will also do more damage and mushroom into a much larger diameter, which again will compensate for some error in shot placement. But that power comes at price. It generates more recoil. For a lot of people the ability to compensate for some error isn't enough to make up for their inability to shoot the rifle accurately because of the recoil.

How much more accurate would a lot of people be with a 243 rather than a 300 mag? Is that extra power from a 300 mag enough to compensate for their loss in accuracy? Is that extra power from the 300mag really needed for most large game? The answers to those questions are going to be just opinions, but it is something to think about.
The point I am TRYING to make is even IF the shot is placed properly the small light fast bullets are more likely to not give you the desired result. AND many people do not realize this!!! There are very few people who take the time to do their homework when it comes to terminal ballistics and big game hunting/bullets!
The rule of thumb for MANY years is to use bullets of AT LEAST .250 SD for big game. Check the SD on these light fast bullets...
Add to this the high velocity factor and lack of weight and you have a formula for disaster when it come to big game hunting!!!
I have witnessed it WAY TO MANY TIMES in my life.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

The point I am TRYING to make is even IF the shot is placed properly the small light fast bullets are more likely to not give you the desired result. AND many people do not realize this!!! There are very few people who take the time to do their homework when it comes to terminal ballistics and big game hunting/bullets!
The rule of thumb for MANY years is to use bullets of AT LEAST .250 SD for big game. Check the SD on these light fast bullets...
Add to this the high velocity factor and lack of weight and you have a formula for disaster when it come to big game hunting!!!
I'm going to have to agree with Jim here. Accuracy it's important, but it does no good if the round doesn't have enough power to effectively kill game. Taking such a chance shooting large game with a small caliber is imo unethical. I would suggest to practice shooting your 243 to then move up to another caliber once you learn how to deal with the recoil.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3015 Times on 1959 Posts

A shoulder shot with a small light bullet, that hits bone and destructs, could very likely not kill a large animal. Again, shot placement is crucial. I personally, would use a .308 to be sure.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #98

Default gotta love the .243 (and the 6mm Rem.)

Quote:

Jim,
The problem with this kind of thinking is that someone might think that because they have a cartridge larger than 6mm, they can take any shot they want and the larger caliber will compensate for their mistakes in distance, bullet choice, bullet placement, etc. We are now getting into dangerous territory, unless you WANT to track wounded game. The fact is that if there is a chance of not being able to make a good shot because of angle, distance, or whatever, then the shot should not be taken with ANY cartridge being it a 7mm, 30 caliber, or even larger. A well placed shot with the proper bullet for the job will result in a clean kill no matter what the cartridge; EVEN THE .243!!!!!
ct

People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #99

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Plenty of 6mm bullets that are capable of taking deer, antelope, and even elk. Not all 6mm bullets are varmit bullets and there are shooters out there that can put a bullet exactly where it needs to be.
cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 4474

Quote:
That maybe with game larger than whitetails? I really don't have the experience with larger game to say with absolute certainty, but I do know that a 90gr 243 is more than adequate for whitetails. I really do understand your point and agree with it to an extent. At the same time I've heard countless people say a 243 isn't enough bullet for whitetails. That way of thinking has inspired countless numbers to go to mags for whitetails when a mag caliber simply isn't needed. Most hunters now look down on a 30-30 as not being powerful enough and it has killed more deer than any other caliber. I keep seeing a complete disconnect between what hunters think they need and what they actually need, which is to be able to hit their mark. Hunting is going more and more to complete overkill and believe that is because so many are trying to compensate for their poor marksmanship? And I believe going in the opposite direction (calibers with less recoil) would do more to improve their marksmanship than anything.

And what I really want to know is why is it so much fun arguing different points on bullets and hunting?
cottontop Likes This 

Newest Threads