Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .243 Rifle??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .243 Rifle??

I own a two Savage rifles, mod. 116 7mm.mag and mod. 111, .270. non Accra triggers, but I've replaced both with after marker triggers which I like better than the Accra.. I want to add a .243 to my arsenal and found a Stevens mod 200, in .243 lightly used for $269. I know they are low end for some but I would rather spend the extra $$ for good optics..The trigger would have to go but any reports on accuracy of the Stevens? are the just a Savage with a Cheap Gray Plastic stock?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55
I own a two Savage rifles, mod. 116 7mm.mag and mod. 111, .270. non Accra triggers, but I've replaced both with after marker triggers which I like better than the Accra.. I want to add a .243 to my arsenal and found a Stevens mod 200, in .243 lightly used for $269. I know they are low end for some but I would rather spend the extra $$ for good optics..The trigger would have to go but any reports on accuracy of the Stevens? are the just a Savage with a Cheap Gray Plastic stock?
They are good shooters but used is used period spend another $60 an get the marlin x7s 243 its 10 times the gun. Cost between 299.99 an 320.00 ,new

Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1002 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
They are good shooters but used is used period spend another $60 an get the marlin x7s 243 its 10 times the gun. Cost between 299.99 an 320.00 ,new
And how is the Marlin x7, 10x the gun? I've seen them,and they really didn't make me want one.But I like a rifle that I can set up the way I want it.

Glockman,The Stevens 200 is just a stripped down Savage 10/110.Anything that fits on a Savage fits on them.
You should be able to get it for less,new they are around $325

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You got it, buy the steven 200 and put a rifle basic trigger on it and go shot tight groups. marlin could be subject to even being around or in what stae of prodyction with them moveing and consolidating.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
You got it, buy the steven 200 and put a rifle basic trigger on it and go shot tight groups. marlin could be subject to even being around or in what stae of prodyction with them moveing and consolidating.
What marlins move is done an as far as being around, really old subject there again, an the x7 series outshines the stevens period.add a trigger to the stevens an now yer into for what 475, while the x7 has a very very good trigger user adjust is cake for 320$

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
What marlins move is done an as far as being around, really old subject there again, an the x7 series outshines the stevens period.add a trigger to the stevens an now yer into for what 475, while the x7 has a very very good trigger user adjust is cake for 320$
Thanks for the replies, I have yet to find a X7 for close to $320. I haven't shouldered one so I can't say much about the Marlin, seeing Rem took over production makes me a little leery..

Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17008 Times on 9841 Posts
Likes Given: 44254

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have yet to find a X7 for close to $320. I haven't shouldered one so I can't say much about the Marlin, seeing Rem took over production makes me a little leery..
remington didn't take over production, they just moved the operations into the same plant as the remingtons. as a matter of fact, the Freedom Group with owns remington, bought marlin in 2008, also owns bushmaster dpms, dakota arms, lc smith, parker, barnes bullets, eotac, aac and many others. for a short period barrels were made by remington until they got production back into full swing. i have several of the marlin X7's and none are by any means cheap made rifles, only inexpensive in price. a question, what is wrong with reminton anyways? even if they were, remington has a solid reputation of well made, accurate rifles that have stood the test of time, i also have several remingtons too.

Last edited by Axxe55; 12-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
remington didn't take over production, they just moved the operations into the same plant as the remingtons. as a matter of fact, the Freedom Group with owns remington, bought marlin in 2008, also owns bushmaster dpms, dakota arms, lc smith, parker, barnes bullets, eotac, aac and many others. for a short period barrels were made by remington until they got production back into full swing. i have several of the marlin X7's and none are by any means cheap made rifles, only inexpensive in price. a question, what is wrong with reminton anyways? even if they were, remington has a solid reputation of well made, accurate rifles that have stood the test of time, i also have several remingtons too.
Thanks for the clarification..and I don't care for the feel of Remington, and the junk 770 should be discontinued.. I know thats just one Bad rifle they make but they did have some issues with the 700 firing as the bolt was closed. I witnessed this in Deer camp one year. Like all low end /cost Rifles you will have some things that arent up to snuff like the junk trigger in the Stevens. For $60. a Rifle Basix will do just fine. By no means do I think of myself as an expert on firearms, I just know what I like..and I do like Savage Rifles.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17008 Times on 9841 Posts
Likes Given: 44254

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
Thanks for the clarification..and I don't care for the feel of Remington, and the junk 770 should be discontinued.. I know thats just one Bad rifle they make but they did have some issues with the 700 firing as the bolt was closed. I witnessed this in Deer camp one year. Like all low end /cost Rifles you will have some things that arent up to snuff like the junk trigger in the Stevens. For $60. a Rifle Basix will do just fine. By no means do I think of myself as an expert on firearms, I just know what I like..and I do like Savage Rifles.
the 770 was junk and should never had the name remington on it in the first place, i know i had one and got rid of it as soon as possible. if you witnessed such a thing with a M700, i can state more than likely that was the result of a backyard trigger adjustment gone wrong, failure to properly adjust, then perform the required safety check afterwards. the bad press that was reported about remington a couple of years ago about AD/ND was a bunch of BS dreamed up by the media and a bunch of uninformed idiots to try and explain away some frivilous lawsuits because someone didn't know what they were doing when adjusting triggers. because, the engineers, and trained shooters could never replicate the so called AD/ND under the same circumstances. IMO, the savage rifles are well made and accurate and if they are the rifle that suits you, then that would be the one to buy.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just double checked on the price and this is a new Rifle, not used, for $269. I think I might get it, and the rifle basix Sav-2 trigger is more like $150. not $60..
Axxe, that is true on the Rem. trigger going off, I know that Guy would never touch the trigger on his guns.. could have been a fluke but he had a back up Rifle he used the rest of the time in Camp..I'll find out what he did with it..
Thanks for the replies..

Last edited by glockman55; 12-12-2011 at 11:14 PM.