Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243 or 22-250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

So we all agree the .22-250 is poor for big game and the argument is whether to accept the .243 for deer? Well...

...of course the .243 is fine for medium-sized game like deer. And much more versatile than the other.

Did I solve this for you guys?

What about bow and arrow!?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-11-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #52

Default .243

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
So we all agree the .22-250 is poor for big game and the argument is whether to accept the .243 for deer? Well...

...of course the .243 is fine for medium-sized game like deer. And much more versatile than the other.

Did I solve this for you guys?

What about bow and arrow!?

It works for me.
ct

Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Dang all you guys all can pee far! (winks just like a 20ish can)

As for me, I used to be in love with the 22-250, but got tired of shooting out barrels. of the 2 choices, I would opt for the 243 for more versatility.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 05-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #54

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Honestly I see nothing wrong with either caliber for whitetail deer, it all depends on the individual hunting scenario as to which caliber is more acceptable, if you are only shooting 20 yards you can shoot a whitetail in the head with a 22lr and kill it deader than a hammer, not to say that is legal but it will kill the deer, so will all the centerfire rounds, some are just more suited to the situation than others. If you start talking elk sized animals and long yardage then the situation changes. Which is better is a matter of opinion.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

It's funny, I read all these stories about how a 22LR isn't good for home protection etc, and then all the stories about them bouncing off the heads of intruders. And in a hunting thread, now its one shot in the head with a 22LR is all it takes. From seeing male deer in the rut and entangling their antlers with each other, their skulls look like they can take a lot more punishment than a humans, so which is it? Should I switch out and use my 617 Smith and Wesson for home defense or is a 22LR not really all that for hunting, and some people are not concerned with a humane kill?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #56

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
It's funny, I read all these stories about how a 22LR isn't good for home protection etc, and then all the stories about them bouncing off the heads of intruders. And in a hunting thread, now its one shot in the head with a 22LR is all it takes. From seeing male deer in the rut and entangling their antlers with each other, their skulls look like they can take a lot more punishment than a humans, so which is it? Should I switch out and use my 617 Smith and Wesson for home defense or is a 22LR not really all that for hunting, and some people are not concerned with a humane kill?
I didn't say 22LR was a good deer hunting round, I said at close range and good shot placement a shot to the brain box will kill a whitetail. Entangling their antlers and taking a lead pill to the temple are 2 different things. I made the statement purely to explain my point that all this talk of a 223 or 22 250 being to small is nonsense when even the lowly 22lr is capable of making a killing shot. Also I do believe a shot to the head and pretty much instant death is a pretty humane kill, so I don't know where you are going with your insinuation about not caring about humane kills, a 22 to the brain in most cases kills a deer faster than shooting it with an arrow which is perfectly legal. I am not advocating the use of 22LR for hunting deer, I simply stated it has been done before, usually by people who are treading outside the law and want a quiet shot. That doesn't mean it is ideal for either hunting or home defense however if I were in a home defense situation and the only thing I had handy was a 22 I'd certainly grab it and shoot, it may not be much but whomever it hits won't be happy either. In a hunting situation one has plenty of time to rest and take careful aim to try to ensure the best shot placement, in self defense it will be a heated nervous situation and hitting the target in a perfect place isn't going to be possible in most cases, this is what makes the 22 not so good for self defense in my opinion.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #57
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 866 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I have the Marlin XS7VH in 22-250 and I put a high end 4-12 Nikon on it. It is a very accurate rifle. I have knock down varmints 300 yards with no problem. I shoot Hornady
50 gr V-Max. This rifle has one of the best trigger system I have ever used!!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I have the Marlin XS7VH in 22-250 and I put a high end 4-12 Nikon on it. It is a very accurate rifle. I have knock down varmints 300 yards with no problem. I shoot Hornady
50 gr V-Max. This rifle has one of the best trigger system I have ever used!!
Excellent, and sporting, but how many are deer sized? I think we'd all agree that the .243 is better for deer. And its varminting capability makes it a little unique in the world of America's Top-10 Cartidges.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #59

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Excellent, and sporting, but how many are deer sized? I think we'd all agree that the .243 is better for deer. And its varminting capability makes it a little unique in the world of America's Top-10 Cartidges.
I would not say unique, the 25-06 is just as capable on varmint and I think everyone can agree that is a fantastic deer cartridge, the 243s only advantages are it's availability and the fact it is a short action.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I would not say unique, the 25-06 is just as capable on varmint and I think everyone can agree that is a fantastic deer cartridge, the 243s only advantages are it's availability and the fact it is a short action.
I specifically said top-10 US cartridges. .25-06!?

BTW, your marginalized import of "availability" translates to lower price as well.

.25-06 indeed.