243 or 22-250 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 243 or 22-250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #41

Default not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
That was not my POINT, but if you insist. You said the 105 gr had a SD of just over .250, which would prove my point, The BEST bullet available is just over the acceptable minimum set by generations of hunters!! PLEASE read the post and respond to the point I was discussing.

Hey Jim, that's not bad. I think you would make a good politician. You should definitely consider a run for office. I would vote for you. You have actually danced all around the topic you have tried to avoid and you have tried to save face after being proven wrong by agreeing with me yet not really agreeing with me. Good job! Well done my friend!
ct

Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1343 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

I can push a 115gr. BTHP at over 3000 FPS from my .243 Handi-rifle. Can you do that with a .22-250 ?...................

When all else fails.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

Whatever trips your trigger! I am sure he has been around al longer than I and did a lot more research than I have!
Ok troll. Roll your eyes. Like a two year old.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #44

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I hate the :rollseyes: thing. I feel like its something a 16 year old girl would do.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb6112
I hate the :rollseyes: thing. I feel like its something a 16 year old girl would do.
Same here. I guess experience doesn't lead to maturity in the case of JimRau. Lol.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I think there is one thing not being included in this discussion. Range, caliber, sectional density, velocity, quartering - all important elements. However, did anyone actually take into account the target?

"Deer weights generally range from 30 to 300 kg (70 to 700 lb), though the smallest species, the Northern Pudú, averages 10 kg (20 lb) and the largest, the moose, averages 431 kg (1,000 lb). They generally have lithe, compact bodies and long, powerful legs suited for rugged woodland terrain."
- Wikipedia

No one can effectively discuss hunting without a clear understanding of the animal. For .22-250, were we considering it for a 700lb deer? Or the .223? Or is the hunter using .243 with the largest bullet you can stuff in the case for a 70lb deer? Both are inappropriate.

My apologies if I missed the part of the discussion where which species of Cervidae was being targetted. However, I feel the term "deer" to be far too generic to decide who is actually correct.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Hey Jim, that's not bad. I think you would make a good politician. You should definitely consider a run for office. I would vote for you. You have actually danced all around the topic you have tried to avoid and you have tried to save face after being proven wrong by agreeing with me yet not really agreeing with me. Good job! Well done my friend!
ct
I guess you have a reading comprehension problem, but no one is perfect.
The POINT I have been trying to get across is I would not recommend the 243 to the average or the beginning hunter because of it's limitations. To date you have refused to admit your beloved 243 is marginal, which it is, for big game hunting. And if you would recommend it over the 260 or the 7-08 for the average or beginning hunter you would simply show that your are either prejudice or ignorant. I think the prejudice observation is the correct one. And I can't help but roll my eyes at this silliness!
Have a nice day, NUFF SAID! (do you like that better than rolling my eyes?)

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 05-09-2013 at 09:59 PM.
cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #48

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Hey JimRau I have been meaning to ask you where the heck did you hear that .250 SD was the minimum acceptable for deer hunting? Where every you heard that nonsence you might need to unsubscribe because myself and many others can tell you matter of factly that is utter BS. If you need proof of that just look at the 130gr 270 Win, 150-165gr 30-06/308, 115gr 25-06/257 Wby, 140gr 7-08/280 and a whole host of other fine cartridges that have accounted for the vast majority of deer harvested in this country for the past century.
While a 243 is not my top pick either my grandmother has hunted with one for some decades and she has never had a problem finding her deer, not going to knock it, some people shoot well enough with them they don't need a larger caliber. I just prefer my 6.5x55.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-09-2013 at 10:08 PM.
cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #49

Default yeah

Quote:
I guess you have a reading comprehension problem, but no one is perfect.
The POINT I have been trying to get across is I would not recommend the 243 to the average or the beginning hunter because of it's limitations. To date you have refused to admit your beloved 243 is marginal, which it is, for big game hunting. And if you would recommend it over the 260 or the 7-08 for the average or beginning hunter you would simply show that your are either prejudice or ignorant. I think the prejudice observation is the correct one. And I can't help but roll my eyes at this silliness!
Have a nice day, NUFF SAID! (do you like that better than rolling my eyes?)

JR, my friend, you are precious!!!!
BTW, I suppose you didn't know (or maybe you do) that name calling is the most primitive form of defense mechanisms.
ct

Last edited by cottontop; 05-10-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: had to correct my reading comprehension problem

Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #50

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Whatever trips your trigger! I am sure he has been around al longer than I and did a lot more research than I have!
Holy Cr@p!!! I learned something new today!

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, let it be known from this day forth that JimRau is the foremost authority on all subjects firearm related in all the land, due to his age and self proclaimed research his opinion is to be taken as fact! Anyone in disagreement with JimRau's stellar research and proven scientific method will be assumed a village idiot and be drawn and quartered in the town square!!!

Wow...

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

cottontop Likes This