Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .22LR Good Sniping Rifle for Hobbying?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I have one 22lr that is sighted in at 100 yards. Jsut for punching paper.

My dad has a set of steel gongs at 100 yards on his property and we sit there and bang them all day long with 22lr in fact the funnest one was the 10/22 with a little 4x sportview scope on it. I had to ky windage it but once I found my aim point it was nothing but steel every time. slow fire rapid fire.

Shooting a 22 at 100+ yards is too much fun. So lets not do to much talking about it.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like solid for meat,HP's for varmints. If your a good head shot artist use either.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
I like solid for meat,HP's for varmints. If your a good head shot artist use either.
I agree with MattG. Sniping, Seriously?

I will go farther than that....With a .22 lr round? Seriously??

Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #14

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Come on guys!! There are plenty of .22lr platforms out there and you don't see any Snipes, do ya!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Didn't the Israelis use .22 rifles for urban sniping?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Question on ammo- there is MATCH ammo (despite your first born male child and all your free cash) that CAN be incredibly consistent shot after shot. Dynamit-Noel R-50 and Lapua Master is running me about $18/50, Wolf Match, Fiocchi Biathalon, Green Tag, Eley Tenex, etc ad infinitum. However, I have found many of my rifles also like Federal Champion Target (standard velocity) at about $20/500.

22LR is not made with a FMJ- it is plated lead- or just lead. 22 Magnum IS available in a jacketed bullet. Super high or super low- or super heavy (Aguilla makes a 60 gr) may not be all that accurate- wrong rate of twist for those.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
If you were to shoot the small animal or varmint in the body/chest with FMJs, would the animal/varmint have a chance of walking away from it? Would they just bleed slowly to their doom? A squirrel? A coyote?

I assume HPs take the animal/varmint down very well (stopping power), but what's the take on that one besides the fact that the HPs are probably not good for the meat?

How about Frangible Bullets? They are non-toxic and sound great for meat, but what about the actual effectiveness of taking down the animal (or at least the speed of taking the animal down to it's last breath)?
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Well, heck. The 22s are harder to hear than the larger caliber rifles. You gotta look at it this way. I believe that if you are shooting a smaller round, you should balance it out by being that much better at sharpshooting.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Question on ammo- there is MATCH ammo (despite your first born male child and all your free cash) that CAN be incredibly consistent shot after shot. Dynamit-Noel R-50 and Lapua Master is running me about $18/50, Wolf Match, Fiocchi Biathalon, Green Tag, Eley Tenex, etc ad infinitum. However, I have found many of my rifles also like Federal Champion Target (standard velocity) at about $20/500.

22LR is not made with a FMJ- it is plated lead- or just lead. 22 Magnum IS available in a jacketed bullet. Super high or super low- or super heavy (Aguilla makes a 60 gr) may not be all that accurate- wrong rate of twist for those.
Good point. I just got a 22, so I'm not entirely familiar with the physics, ect. of rimfire guns. Not exactly sure the difference between the rimfire and centerfire on things like ballistics and physics. I haven't had my personal 22 long enough yet, but I plan to check out the different ammos through time. I'm going to Gun Shop today to see what 22 rounds they have on the store shelves. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #20

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

All ya'll read this please.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”