.22LR Good Sniping Rifle for Hobbying?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .22LR Good Sniping Rifle for Hobbying?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22LR Good Sniping Rifle for Hobbying?

I just bought a 10/22 Ruger Rifle and love it. I was wondering if anyone had experience going to the range with a scoped one (or any other .22lr rifle), and shooting it long range. I haven't shot long range with a scope at the outdoor ranges yet.

Is it a good fun rifle to snipe with at the range. I'm looking forward to using it as a great hobbyist gun for this purpose, not to mention that the ammo is inexpensive. Other than that, I will use it for small game hunting, which I have little experience with, so I may have a forum question about that soon as well.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #2

Back in the '70s I had one of those topped of with a cheapie weaver .22 4x rifle scope. My best shot was on a starling that was probably 150 yards away using Remington Yellow Jacket ammo. I literaly watched the starling vanish in a puff of red and black. I got similar results on a rabbit using a Marlin bolt action .22 topped off with the same scope. That time the yardage was closer to 200 yards. Yeah, it is fun sniping with a .22 and a scope. I haven't had the time or place to do it yet, but I'm hoping to put a 4x Aimpoint on my Colt/Walther M4 .22 and accomplish the same type of shooting with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sniping? Seriously?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I do quite a bit of .22 shooting up to 200yards. I think its alot of fun. The hardest part is reading the wind. A slight change in wind speed and/or direction will push that little bullet off target.
Its really a cool when you can see the bullet through your scope(helps if the sun is behind you) falling like a lawn dart and striking a steel target at 200.
I like std velocity rounds. More accurate IMO and no trans-sonic turbulence at long range.
Probably want a scope with good target turrets as a st. velocity load drops approx 3feet between 100 & 200 yards and a sloped rail mount or offset rings like Burris Zee"s to keep from maxing out your adjustments.

First time out after installing the 25moa base on my Hvy Barr 10/22 off bipod@ 200yd. Leupold BR24X. Wolf MT

First 7shots went into 1 3/4" Tail wind caught me last 3 opened it up to 3 7/8". Yes the 10/22's will shoot

Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Marlin Mod. 60 with a 3 x 9 x 40 Bushnell on it,it's pretty easy to knock off 12 guage shot shell hull at 100 yds with no problems. My Savage Mark II in 22 rf and 93G in 22 Mag. both with Accu Trigger will do that out to 200 yds. It's pretty easy after lots of practice and good consistent ammo. My rf's like the PMC and my Mag. like the CCI HP's. No wind is always a plus.

Mark II groups at 75yds.

22 ammo long range penetration test.
Lethality of the 22LR- Results! - Sniper's Hide Forums

Good forum for anything 22 related.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Last edited by res45; 10-14-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8739 Times on 3778 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

A good 22 is typically more accurate than the shooter. I shoot several older Mossberg heavy target rifles.

However, despite the best rifle, best ammo, etc, you will be limited by the characteristics of the 22 LR cartridge. MOST 22 competition is at 50 yds, and longest is usually 100 yds. The bullet shape, velocity, ballistic coefficient, yada yada yada impose some limits.

Now, having said that, I used to have a black 4 inch fence post that sat 300 meters +- away, and was in front of a pile of white sand. being vertical, I lost SOME of the need to calculate elevation, and just had to concern myself with windage. Could spot misses when they hit the sand behind the post. Used to love to sit on the front porch, pegging rounds at that post- far enough away that you could hear a hit SLAP home. Did not make every shot, but made a lot.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #7

I personally own an AR15 that goes up to 5.56mm ammo, but feel like I'd have more fun with the .22LR because of the challenge. Besides that, at the moment, my chances with hunting will probably be with smaller game, so I'd be using the .22LR with that. I love reading the comments, and all of you are giving me great confidence and reassurance with me owning my Ruger 10/22 rifle. I'm not trying to talk bad about the .22, but because the .22 is more effected by wind, I think that it would be a better training rifle as well, not to mention the better price on ammo, and I just think 22s are fun anyways. Keep the comments coming, please! I'm soaking it all in like a sponge!

What about ammo? What's the best target ammo, hunting/small game ammo, ect. I know the local Wal-mart here sells mostly Winchester ammo. I saw the Super X ammo, and the Supreme ammo.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are all kinds of ammo out there most of the Bulk box stuff is pretty dirty not good for semi's or the most accurate but it's good for plinking though and you might have to clean the action more often. Sub-Sonic probably want cycle the 10/22 action but standard velocity and HV should do fine.

Best option is to get a box or two of several brands and see what your rifle likes best. CCI Mini-Mags in solid and HP run a close second to my PMC ammo no longer made I have stashed up.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #9

So do Hollow points tend to perform better than full metals? When shooting game, which one is better? I know HPs are more lethal, but FMJs are probably cleaner and work fine too for small game. I noticed out of the Super X and Supreme Winchester ammo (two that I tried out/observed thus far) that the Supreme was higher velocity. I could tell visually and audibly when watching my friend shoot them. The Supreme ammo was a lot louder than the Super X, and you could even see it's higher velocity.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
I have a Marlin Mod. 60 with a 3 x 9 x 40 Bushnell on it,it's pretty easy to knock off 12 guage shot shell hull at 100 yds with no problems. My Savage Mark II in 22 rf and 93G in 22 Mag. both with Accu Trigger will do that out to 200 yds. It's pretty easy after lots of practice and good consistent ammo. My rf's like the PMC and my Mag. like the CCI HP's. No wind is always a plus.

Mark II groups at 75yds.

22 ammo long range penetration test.
Lethality of the 22LR- Results! - Sniper's Hide Forums

Good forum for anything 22 related.
RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms
I checked out the links. Great info! Thanks!