Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   .22lr fired in a .17, need possible problem info (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/22lr-fired-17-need-possible-problem-info-90308/)

Gizord1 05-08-2013 01:05 AM

.22lr fired in a .17, need possible problem info

Before I begin:
I DID NOT FIRE A .22 IN A .17!!!

If you accuse me of doing so in the comments, I will proceed to call you an idiot for not reading the original post.

Anyways, my uncle has a .17 HMR rifle, nice gun, looks great, shoots fine, blah blah blah. So recently, he let someone borrow it. They apparently mistook it as a .22, and chambered and FIRED a .22lr in it. It didn't explode, the bullet was badly disfigured, and didn't make it out the barrel. He managed to get the bullet out the barrel, but I figured he should take it to a gunsmith and have the head spacing, chamber, and integrity CAREFULLY checked. Anything else that he should have looked at?

HockaLouis 05-08-2013 01:09 AM

Magnaflux the chamber and barrel.

PS: I can't believe you did that Gizord1 -- I'd have thought you'd be more careful knowing you!

Gizord1 05-08-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis

To check for cracks and chips?

DrumJunkie 05-08-2013 01:11 AM

I don't know about it cracking anything but that's GOT to be a nasty lead foul.

I'd get it checked over to make sure there is no bbl damage to be safe then I'd smack the hell out of the person that did it...Again!

Gizord1 05-08-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

PS: I can't believe you did that Gizord1 -- I'd have thought you'd be more careful knowing you!

Oh hahaha.

Idgit. :3

HockaLouis 05-08-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizord1 (Post 1240337)
To check for cracks and chips?

YES to check for cracks!

Personally, you'd be buying me a new gun (maybe just barrel and possibly a bolt) and I'd destroy the one you fired the 30% bigger bullet through. Still can't believe you did that... Oh Gizord!

Gizord1 05-08-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

YES to check for cracks!

Personally, you'd be buying me a new gun (maybe just barrel and possibly a bolt) and I'd destroy the one you fired the 30% bigger bullet through. Still can't believe you did that... Oh Gizord!

*sarcasm*
yeah, I thought it said .77, so I figured, hey that sounds bigger than .22, I'll put one of those in it!

Cattledog 05-08-2013 01:41 AM

Thats is so bizarre. I've never even heard of a two way conversation about a rifle that didn't include "what caliber?" Weird.

Gizord1 05-08-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattledog
Thats is so bizarre. I've never even heard of a two way conversation about a rifle that didn't include "what caliber?" Weird.

That's what I asked when I first heard about it.
Maybe it was an honest mistake or a stupid one.

hiwall 05-08-2013 01:51 AM

I doubt that there is any damage to the gun but it would not hurt to have it looked at by a "professional".