223 vs 5.56 accuracy - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

223 vs 5.56 accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Please note that I wrote that I use 5.56 military brass, not loaded ammunition. I should have made that more clear - my bad.

5.56 NATO ammunition produces higher pressures than .223Rem ammunition that is loaded to SAAMI specifications. One of the reasons for the higher pressures in military ammo is indeed because of slightly thicker case walls near the case head, which reduces the internal volume of the case slightly.
Slice one of each down the center and you'll see the difference.

Reloading your own ammunition has many more elements to be concerned with versus shooting ammo out of a box. Just be sure that whatever ammo you use is safe to use in that gun.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you want to use both 5.56 and .223 I would look for a .223 Wylde chamber it's meant to handle both rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #13

Liked 1804 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
JonM nailed it.

Gun at left has a factory Colt 5.56 chrome lined barrel w/ 1:7 twist.
Gun at center has a Krieger .223Rem stainless steel barrel w/ 1:7.7 twist.

I shoot Lake City 5.56 military brass is both guns. However.... I do keep the brass segregated between the two guns, because I resize them to fit the individual chambers of the rifles.

Accuracy between the two is like night and day, just because of the quality and construction of the Krieger barrel - not because of it's caliber designation. Of course hand loading ammunition to properly fit any particular chamber goes a long way too, in getting the most accuracy possible from any gun ..... in my experience.

223 vs 5.56 accuracy - General Rifle Discussion
You have Sizer Set`s for individual chambers ?................

Old 05-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #14

Liked 1804 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egreen96 View Post
If you want to use both 5.56 and .223 I would look for a .223 Wylde chamber it's meant to handle both rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Most all your chambers are Wylde chamber`s now a days..............

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
apparently from some sources the 5.56 operates at a higher pressure than 223 ammo does. some sources say the cases are externally the same but that the interior dimensions are smaller on the 5.56 vs. the dimensions internally of the 223 cases.

please don't quote me on that. this debate has been ongoing for years now and i don't have a clearcut answer yet on this. but my thoughts are this, i use what is marked on the rifle as to what i would fire in a particular rifle.
According to the 9th edition of Hornaday handbook: " The main differences between the 5.56 NATO and the 233 Remington is the operating pressure and chamber throat. SAAMI maximum pressure for the 223 Remington is 55,000psi. The 5.56 NATO is loaded to 60,000 psi. Chamber throat for the 223 Remington is shorter than 5.56 NATO chambers as well. It is not recommended to shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition in a 223 Remington chamber. Firing nato (higher pressure) in a a 223 Remington (shorter throat) rifle can cause pressure related damage that could lead to injury." The above was quoted directly from the 9th edition Hornaday handbook of cartridge reloading. Now IMO, match the cal. on the rifle barrel to the data in the reloading book. At least for now, I trust the judgement of the data in the reloading books.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3379 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 981

I have a bolt action Mossberg MVP factory chambered for 5.56x45. I can shoot both rounds with excellent accuracy. 223 spec hand loads are running sub MOA. I had a small amount of surplus that was shooting right at 1 MOA but that is not the norm for surplus ammo. The last batch I tried was running at 2 MOA. It will shoot good 223 commercial loads at the 1 MOA mark. I have not tried any steel case in it. Dont expect great accuracy if you shoot cheap ammo in any rifle.
Most rifles would handle the 5k psi pressure overload with out a problem but the short leade and a longer bullet can cause a much greater pressure peak which can overload the action. Get a gunsmith to run a Wylde chamber reamer in the rifle if you want to shoot both.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #17

Liked 2223 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I don't shoot much paper with my rifle. It is a fun gun just like most 22 LR. I am not going to mount a bipod on the rifle or haul a bunch of sandbags around. We shoot it off hand with inexpensive federal soft point 223 ammo. The DPMS is chambered for 5.56. Almost everyone that shoots the rifle hits the target. We just use a peep sight similar to the sight that came on the rifle. If one can hit a golf ball at 100 yards or more the rifle and ammo are doing their job.

You are going to get different results from different rifles. I am not scared to wear out the barrel by cleaning the rifle, so it doesn't have powder rings in the throat. I don't shoot the 223 at coyotes or fox to really see what it can do. I have rifles that buck the wind much better. I have had these rifles much longer and know what to expect from them.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
According to the 9th edition of Hornaday handbook: " The main differences between the 5.56 NATO and the 233 Remington is the operating pressure and chamber throat. SAAMI maximum pressure for the 223 Remington is 55,000psi. The 5.56 NATO is loaded to 60,000 psi. Chamber throat for the 223 Remington is shorter than 5.56 NATO chambers as well. It is not recommended to shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition in a 223 Remington chamber. Firing nato (higher pressure) in a a 223 Remington (shorter throat) rifle can cause pressure related damage that could lead to injury." The above was quoted directly from the 9th edition Hornaday handbook of cartridge reloading. Now IMO, match the cal. on the rifle barrel to the data in the reloading book. At least for now, I trust the judgement of the data in the reloading books.
my 6th Edition of the Nosler reloading manual says pretty close to the same thing. if i were reloading 223, this is the information i would defer to. right now 223 is one of the few calibers i don't reload for right now. that maight change shortly.

another issue that does make a bit of difference is the barrel twist of the rifle and the bullet weights it can work with accurately. most but not all bolt action rifles in 223 are designed with faster twist ratios for smaller bullets for varmint hunting, while most AR platformed rifles in 223/5.56 are slower twist ratios designed for mid to heavier bullet weights. so matching bullet weights to the twist ratio of the rifle is going to aid in increased accuracy.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #19

Liked 1318 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
my 6th Edition of the Nosler reloading manual says pretty close to the same thing. if i were reloading 223, this is the information i would defer to. right now 223 is one of the few calibers i don't reload for right now. that maight change shortly.

another issue that does make a bit of difference is the barrel twist of the rifle and the bullet weights it can work with accurately. most but not all bolt action rifles in 223 are designed with faster twist ratios for smaller bullets for varmint hunting, while most AR platformed rifles in 223/5.56 are slower twist ratios designed for mid to heavier bullet weights. so matching bullet weights to the twist ratio of the rifle is going to aid in increased accuracy.
i believe you have them reversed.. faster twist for heavier bullets( they need to spin faster to stabalize). slower for lighter bullets( can spin slower to stablize).
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
i believe you have them reversed.. faster twist for heavier bullets( they need to spin faster to stabalize). slower for lighter bullets( can spin slower to stablize).
you're right, i did have them reversed! the higher the number the slower and the lower the number the faster.

brain fart moment!