223 rifles a mistake to own? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

223 rifles a mistake to own?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
true enough, but once the next panic hits.....gone again.

i'm sick of not being able to get reasonably priced plinking ammo for my 223 rifles. its normally hard, but during these panics its almost impossible. and these panics have been happening several times a year at this point.
It sucks and is why those of us who can...buy online by the 1000 round case load.

Personally, I like to maintain a minimum SHTF quantity for all of my guns. I can then shoot the older stuff as I rotate in new attic stock.

Keeps me shooting durring the hard times and ensures I'm never out of anything.

Oh...and should the SHTF, .223 will be one of the most available "scavenge" calibers...so I'd keep a few of them.

Tack

Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #42

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Quote:
cottontop;1079852] You've got time to participate in a shooter's forum, you've got time to reload. Sounds like a lot of excuses.
got to admit, that is a good one. fact is i am doing a lot of other things as i am participating here. you see, "captain excuses" can always come up with something.

Quote:
What's the real reason?
cottontop
you might need to open your eyes up to the world around you....jus' a little. not everyone has the resources you seem to have. its not an excuse, it is a FACT. i already listed my obstacles, but reading them the first time seemed like too much for you....so here goes, in more detail.

1) i have NO ROOM. my house does not have a garage, storage room, or "man shack" some of you rich boys have. i take care of an elderly mother in law who takes up my spare bedroom. i would have to rent a storage room just to get a space to start. i have to clean my guns on my kitchen table and that sucks bad enough.

2) i don't have the TIME. posts like this take me 20-30 minutes because of distractions of various nature constantly. i'm not getting into those distractions, i have been personal enough i think.

3) i don't have the MONEY. i buy ammo in small bits because that is what my budget allows. if i don't buy $100 in ammo at once, well...i hope you get the idea. hand loading would not really be beneficial considering the volume of shooting i do, plain and simple. add the fact that i responsible for taking care of other people, and the money grows slim at times. i have a budget for my shooting hobby, and i probably exceed it too much as is.

4) i don't have HELP. i don't know anyone who reloads to teach me, and i don't trust info on the internet with my life.

now, could you possibly understand how the constant "just reload" garbage gets old after hearing it a thousand times? i CAN"T reload at this point in my life. try to accept the fact that some things are not attainable or even practical for everyone.

i won't say anymore on the reloading issue, thanks for your time on the matter. just consider when you and others are ganging up on a thread, repeating the same thing, that there might be a REAL reason (or 10 reasons) someone truly CAN'T reload.

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-04-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Tackleberry1;1079865]It sucks and is why those of us who can...buy online by the 1000 round case load.
i appreciate the fact you recognize "those of us who can..." i'm not poor by any stretch, but dropping $200-400 on ammo at once is something i find hard to justify in my budget. if i get that amount of money, i am often shopping for a gun for a bit more...

and i don't keep 1000's of rounds of ammo about, but i got enough to feel safe. problem is, i keep that amount & normally buy my range ammo as i go. it just seems this isn't gonna work any more.

Quote:
Oh...and should the SHTF, .223 will be one of the most available "scavenge" calibers...so I'd keep a few of them. Tack
see, i use to think this way, but i am beginning to doubt it. i think the sheer volume of 223 firearms is beginning to prove this caliber might dry out very quickly during an emergency situation. i mean look how fast it goes at the HINT of a real problem. just something to think about.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
see, i use to think this way, but i am beginning to doubt it. i think the sheer volume of 223 firearms is beginning to prove this caliber might dry out very quickly during an emergency situation. i mean look how fast it goes at the HINT of a real problem. just something to think about.
I'm sure the military would share.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
oh, of course....what was i thinking?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Bingo...

They've got plenty...and 9 mm too.

In a worst case scenario where nothing is available commercially and the S has trully hit the F...calibers like .22 LR, .223, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .38 SPC will be the most plentifully "scavenged" rounds.

Which is why I chamber for ALL of them...with a couple of 7.62 x 39's thrown in for good measure and shotguns in both 12G and 20G.

Tack

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bingo...

They've got plenty...and 9 mm too.

In a worst case scenario where nothing is available commercially and the S has trully hit the F...calibers like .22 LR, .223, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .38 SPC will be the most plentifully "scavenged" rounds.

Which is why I chamber for ALL of them...with a couple of 7.62 x 39's thrown in for good measure and shotguns in both 12G and 20G.

Tack
No .22 magnum? I noticed it was one of the few calibers available when things run short at Wally'sworld.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #48

Liked 1118 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 86

....well I have about 2,000 rounds on hand and I have reloading equipment being delivered on Monday. Already stocked up on powder, small rifle primers and bullets. I have an order of 2,000 rounds of already primed brass that is scheduled to be delivered in the next couple of weeks. My AR and Mini 14 are quite hungry, so I have to keep them fed! I've been hand loading my .308's on my brother's press, but decided to ordered a progressive to increase volume for .223's. I'm quite excited to load my own and will continue to after the panic subsides. Not to say that I won't still grab a few boxes from the store or 500 round cases from the net once they becom available again!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #49

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
exactly, thank you! that is all my trying to say. not everyone CAN reload, please don't assume that i can.

and thanks for the laugh.
I have 2 friends that reload. Neither have a bench. One uses one of those black and decker folding benches and the other an old Lee hand loader.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/WM425.aspx
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690030

$200.00 gives you the basics. If I can so can you. I started w/ 8x57. Now about 16 cartridges.
I sold my AR about a year ago. My CZ527 in .223 w/ a CIP chamber really is a great rifle. Taking out 50..100 rounds is enough these days. If I want to dump some lead, my 5.45x39 AK does the trick. Fun gun. I bought a bunch of ammo when cans were 108.00, then a few more when it hit 129.00. Still have 4 unopened cans, 1080 rounds each.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-04-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #50

Quote:
No .22 magnum? I noticed it was one of the few calibers available when things run short at Wally'sworld.
Never owned one myself...never really had a use for it?