223 rifles a mistake to own? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 223 rifles a mistake to own?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3022 Times on 1806 Posts
Likes Given: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The time to stock up is NOT when EVERYONE ELSE is doing it. Kind of like looking for generators and plywood as a hurricane is bearing down on you. Yeah stuff is in short supply, for those who did not already have plenty on hand. I feel ZERO need to buy guns and ammo right now, I have plenty of each.
true, but understand, i have plenty of ammo for an emergency of some sort.

but if i want to go for a range trip, i normally just pick up a bit of ammo. this system obviously will no longer work thanks to panics and ammo hoarders. but i honestly have always done it this way to try and not be the guy who wipes out the store shelves every time there is an ammo sale.

but i am starting to agree with you guys. becoming an ammo hoarder seems to be the only solution.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #22

Liked 1906 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

I have never bought a single round of .223. I hand load all of my ammo. Stuff like this is why.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I was in Utah yesterday stopped in at Cabelas. They had plenty of ammo at regular prices. They were sold out of AR-15 rifles and large Mags.
The reloading ts were in short supply. Maybe people who depend on factory ammo will get the message. Learn to reload your own ammo.
ugh. this isn't directed at you so much as ALL reloaders. i have really heard the line "learn to reolad" more than enough. y'all should really stop assuming that everyone has the time, space, and money to invest in this hobby/skill. i certainly don't have enough of any of the three! its just an old tired line at this point.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 462 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Whats all the panic buying about.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have never bought a single round of .223. I hand load all of my ammo. Stuff like this is why.
again, only like the 1000th time i have heard this on some board. i don't have ANY space to set up, i have no one to teach me, i don't have the money to invest, and the time is non-existent as well. i'm lucky to get to the range every month or so.

i'm not trying to be disrespectful, i know reloading has many advantages, but i CAN"T do it at this point in my life. there are many shooters who can't do it. lets leave it alone in this thread, i never asked about reloading. there is probably another forum for that.

my original point was about 223 and ammo panics. i understand how reloading applies to the conversation, but telling me to do something i can't doesn't really help this conversation.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #26

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
Whats all the panic buying about.
The Possibility if a gun band. This will make some guns nearly impossible to git if you don't already have it. It could also make certain calibers of ammo hard to find and more expansive. It could also ban mags with more than a 10 round capacity illegal. Could possibly ban mags completely.

Depends on how bad it is. Some don't even thank a ban will pass. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #27

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
again, only like the 1000th time i have heard this on some board. i don't have ANY space to set up, i have no one to teach me, i don't have the money to invest, and the time is non-existent as well. i'm lucky to get to the range every month or so.

i'm not trying to be disrespectful, i know reloading has many advantages, but i CAN"T do it at this point in my life. there are many shooters who can't do it. lets leave it alone in this thread, i never asked about reloading. there is probably another forum for that.

my original point was about 223 and ammo panics. i understand how reloading applies to the conversation, but telling me to do something i can't doesn't really help this conversation.

you should really get into reloading.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Just make up your mind to keep a thousand rounds (or more) on hand after things settle down. This buy up is a bubble. Once the bubble bursts all the ammo that is in demand now will be cheaper than ever. That's when you pick up a thousand rounds or so.

I'm just mad that I didn't stock up on some AR's a few months ago. This would be a great time to be selling a few!
sounds like a plan, tlurker! again, i have just tried to control my high volume ammo buying. i know how feels to find a good ammo sale and think "ill get some tomorrow on payday" only to have hundreds of boxes vanish overnight. i never wanted to be that guy that selfishly wiped out all the ammo. i mean who goes in a store and thinks "well, the toilet paper is on sale...i'll buy ALL OF IT!" this is unique to ammo, unfortunately.

and yeah, i am thinking about getting rid of some of my evil high capacity magazines to fund another project. if i can get anywhere near what i have seen them selling for....goodbye!

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #29

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

just messing with you! and I understand your point. reloading your own ammo takes time. sometimes, a person doesn't have time to spend hours sitting around on the reloading press. I know that between raising 2 boys, work, house work, yard work, etc. my time is pretty much full. I haven't been to the range to shoot live ammo in about 5 months. Just don't have the time!

maybe when the boys are older (as in out of high school) I'll have more time, and when I'm closer to retirement, I'll have more time and could look at reloading then.

Until then, I keep my brass, save the steel case stuff for the next trip to the scrap yard. I've got a heck of a store of empty brass already. maybe I could trade it to someone for some reloaded ammo?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
you should really get into reloading.
HA! ok.....i'll pulling my hair out for the next few moments (will return soon).