223 rifles a mistake to own? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 223 rifles a mistake to own?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
true enough, but once the next panic hits.....gone again.

i'm sick of not being able to get reasonably priced plinking ammo for my 223 rifles. its normally hard, but during these panics its almost impossible. and these panics have been happening several times a year at this point.
And that is why you should be stocked up on ammo and components during the good times, so you won't get caught short in the bad times.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I picked this up two weeks ago on the internet, Federal MK318 MOD-0 5.56 62 Grain SOST (240 Rounds) In Stock! delivered to my front door in two days. I keep a few thousand rounds of 5.56 on hand at all times and regularly get a few hundred more, when the bug bites me. The wife used to hate that but these days, just shrugs.

Granted, since then, things have gotten scarcer and more expensive. Just keep hunting for it on the internet and have a card handy.

Last edited by NativH; 01-03-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #13

Liked 2715 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1725

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
And that is why you should be stocked up on ammo and components during the good times, so you won't get caught short in the bad times.
good advice, of course. its never good to get caught with your "pants down," so to speak. i always keep a small stash of ammo, but it isn't a "doomsday" stash or anything. and i don't use this ammo, i just keep it or rotate it.

but imo, the "hoard it while you can" attitude is at least 50% responsible for this though. even when there is NO PANIC on, it is not uncommon to have some hoarder buy 1000's of rounds, literally wiping out everything in a given store in one purchase.

i've always tried to buy what i need for range use, in an attempt to combat these shortages. i wish others would think about doing the same, or at least building their stashes in small amounts at a time.

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-03-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo
rachilders Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 2288

Quote:
good advice, of course. its never good to get caught with your "pants down," so to speak. i always keep a small stash of ammo, but it isn't a "doomsday" stash or anything. and i don't use this ammo, i just keep it or rotate it.

but imo, the "hoard it while you can" attitude is at least 50% responsible for this though. even when there is NO PANIC on, it is not uncommon to have some hoarder buy 1000's of rounds, literally wiping out everything in a given store in one purchase.

i've always tried to buy what i need for range use, in an attempt to combat these shortages. i wish others would think about doing the same, or at least building their stashes in small amounts at a time.
Just make up your mind to keep a thousand rounds (or more) on hand after things settle down. This buy up is a bubble. Once the bubble bursts all the ammo that is in demand now will be cheaper than ever. That's when you pick up a thousand rounds or so.

I'm just mad that I didn't stock up on some AR's a few months ago. This would be a great time to be selling a few!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #15

You will have no trouble with the .223 if you use a bolt action or a single shot and reload.
cottontop

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #16

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

You are not going to combat any shortages by yourself. So you should just join. Lol. Plus it is cheaper to buy in bulk "in most cases"

I do buy about 500 rounds maybe 2 times a year. But the way I primarily grow my ammo stash is by picking up a box or 2 every time I go some wear that seals ammo. If I go to one of my LGS just to see what they have I at least walk out with a box of .22lr. Same for Walmart, bas pro, academy ext.....
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The only way out that I see is to learn to chip your own flints (I think the word is 'knapp') and mix your own black powder. I'm to lazy for either.

There is a reason why .223/5.56 fly off the shelves. The tools, I mean weapons, are handy, accurate, fun to shoot, inexpensive (during normal times) to shoot and quite functional. Uncle taught many of us how to shoot them and that training has stuck.

'Step One'. Plan ahead.
'Step Two'. See 'Step One'.

I reload, have for 50 years and don't buy anyone's ammo. But consumables get bought up just like the finished product. I follow 'Step One', see above.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #18

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I was in Utah yesterday stopped in at Cabelas. They had plenty of ammo at regular prices. They were sold out of AR-15 rifles and large Mags.
The reloading tools were in short supply. Maybe people who depend on factory ammo will get the message. Learn to reload your own ammo.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The time to stock up is NOT when EVERYONE ELSE is doing it. Kind of like looking for generators and plywood as a hurricane is bearing down on you. Yeah stuff is in short supply, for those who did not already have plenty on hand. I feel ZERO need to buy guns and ammo right now, I have plenty of each.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

rachilders Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:

There is no need to buy a "doomsday stash" in one trip to the store.

But if you're going to shoot 200 rounds this month, buy 400. Keep this up until you have a one year supply, and don't go below that.

Better yet, buy cases of 1000 online at a discount.

I no longer shoot as much as I did when I was younger, so 2000
rounds of 5.56 and 3000 of 9MM will last me a year. Therefore I try to keep 4000 of .223 and 6000 of 9mm on hand. Not all loaded ammo, but enough components to load that much.

I haven't bought ammo or components since the election. Since I have enough on hand, I leave the stuff in the store there for those who didn't prepare.

Winston Churchill
jpattersonnh Likes This