.223 Rem vs 204 Ruger - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .223 Rem vs 204 Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Can't answer the first, as I don't have a triangular barrel, and likely never will...can't see any advantage to it. Kinda like the Leupold scope with the curve in the objective lens...???

As for 2, bedding isn't hard, just bed around the recoil lug and a couple of inches forward, float the barrel. Coat the barrel and action with relase agent, or wax, or whatever. And a bit around the tang. If you undercut the stock with a small chisel, you won't see the bedding from the outside.

If the stock has pillars or a aluminum bedding block, it's a lot easier, and may not even need the additional bedding. I like to get the rear end secured in some way.

I've bedded a skinny barrel all the way down the channel, and it's been helpful, but not for group shooting as much as for cold-bore shooting. And I did it on 22 Hornet and a .223 788. Made a big difference, but I don't do that any more, prefer floating the barrel.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #32

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The relief cut on the VX-L scopes is to allow you to mount the scope closer to the axis of the bore. The closer you can get the center line of the scope to the center line of the bore the more accurate your rifle will be. that and it allows you to get a good cheak weld onteh stock unlike some of the other 50 and 56mm scopes that you need to rest your chin on the stock.

If I ever replace the scope on my 308 it is going to get a VX-L or a NF NSX if I can aford it.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #33

If you can I would suggest just trade in that junk and get the Savage. I know there are some ppl who will bash me for bashing Remington but you know it is true. A Savage is out of the box a FAR superior rifle to the Remington and costs less and has a trigger that would costs thousands to find one better aftermarket. Think about it. You can spend all this EXTRA MONEY just to get the remington to the level of the Savage or you can simply sell the Remington and buy the savage and come out with MORE money. The ONLY reason a 700 is even concidered by ppl is because they were awesome rifles in their time....Their time is over however.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #34

While I don't feel as bad as cory.

Remington quality has been going down for some time and the price is going up. If I were in the market for a good varmint rifle now I would not even think I would go right for a savage. The first thing I would do would be to dump that accutrigger. Slap a Jewell on that puppy and call it a day. For $100 you can get a Jewell and if you have never shot a Jewell then you have to pulled a good trigger. Jewell triggers are like Nightforce scopes they cost a lot more than others that get the job done but they are worth every penny.

Savage rifles are not perfect, but neither are remingtons. Remingtons 700 has it's faults as does the savage. There is no reason to turn around and trade in a rifle that you just bought. I have seen them VTR's turn in some good groups. Do I like them? No I do not the triangle barrel is a joke, and if you can't shoot a rifle without a muzzle break then you should not be shooting something that big. The ones I seen looked like a 3 year old took a hacksaw to the end of the barrel to make the comp slots. the stock on the VTR is JUNK. Savage low end stocks are junk as well. Some people are spending $1000 on that VTR when they could by an SPS $600 and then spend $400 on a good stock and have a much better overall rifle on their hands.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #35

I am killing the thread........ Traded in for a Savage 12FV this morning........I cant see spending the money for trigger, etc to bring the remmy up to what I am looking to get..... I knew months from now I would still be pissed at that 20'' lame muzzy break barrel.... In the end it cost me the 270 I traded.... Cash amounts are the same, but the trade in value on the 270 was lost,,,,,,,, This might be my biggest opps since High school

Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #36

But in the end you got what you wanted. So it cost you a little bit of money it is just money.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #37

I do agree. The one thing I don't like about the savage is the stock. Other than that I love them. When you shoot it you should tell us what you think and whether or not you like it better than the Remmington.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #38

will do guys. I know just from looking for aftermarket parts for the Rem it wasnt going to work, and the fact that triangle barrel was going to give me major issues with fitting a thumbhole stock it just wasnt going to work.... But as soon as I get the Savage Ill let you know what i think

Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #39

Well almost 2yrs from the last time Ill finally update you guys on the Savage. I am really happy with the gun. I threw on second hand BSA scope from a friend when I got it and it did ok. The bolt is smooth like butter, and the acu triggper rocks. Now I am getting ready to finally put a real scope on it. Most likely the Elite 4200 6*24*40. This past year was a bad year for getting out and shooting hope'n this year is better!

And I have almost all but forgotten about buying that Rem..

Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #40

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Glad to see an OP a year and a half later updating!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.