.223 Rem vs 204 Ruger - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .223 Rem vs 204 Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Greenhorn question, but the lower the number on the twist rate= a tighter bore(more grooves)? So the savage 1-9 would put more spin on the bullet then a 1-12???

Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessemerbob View Post
Greenhorn question, but the lower the number on the twist rate= a tighter bore(more grooves)? So the savage 1-9 would put more spin on the bullet then a 1-12???
It's not about grooves and lands. There might be any number. Rifling is specified in terms of rotation. One complete circle in a set number of inches.

1:12 -- one turn in 12" inches.

When someone speaks of rifling in terms of "12" or "9" they're talking about inches for one full turn/rotation.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

yes more spin. The heaver the bullet the faster the twist need to be to stabilize the bullet.

It is not really the weight of the bullet it is the length of the bullet. If you have a 55gr bullet that is twice as long as a normal 55gr bullet then you are still going to need a tighter twist (1:9 or 1:8) to stabilize that bullet. It just so happens that with you increase the length of a bullet you add weight and when you had weight you have to add length. Same goes for a 70gr bullet if you have a 70gr bullet that is the same size as a 55gr bullet it will stabilize in a 12 twist barrel.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #14

Well this is just more fuel for the savage fire! The savage 12series guns come out of the box with 1-9 twist. and 26'' barrels.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the for what is worth department, the actual term for a spinning bullet is (gyroscopic stabilization). I'm loading 69 gr. Sierra Match King for the .223 and Sierra demands a 7"-10" twist barrel only, for these bullets. I think that the 1in9 twist is a pretty good choice also. Disclaimer; that's just my opinion and intelligent rebuttal is always welcome. HJ

Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's the proper description but the easiest explanation of that method is rotational stability.
As in the bullet achieves rotational stability with a certain twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
In the for what is worth department, the actual term for a spinning bullet is (gyroscopic stabilization). I'm loading 69 gr. Sierra Match King for the .223 and Sierra demands a 7"-10" twist barrel only, for these bullets. I think that the 1in9 twist is a pretty good choice also. Disclaimer; that's just my opinion and intelligent rebuttal is always welcome. HJ

Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #17

Well guys to put it in simple terms I F'ed up. Went to the gun shop and let me emotions get the best of me. Came home with the Remington 700 VTR in .223//////// Crap this isnt what I was after. This gun all along was a lil too much $ so I didnt research it but the deal they gave me on my trade if I bought this gun was sweat. So without thinking it out I came home with it.... Now after researching after my purchase I think I might have made a big mistake. This isnt built for 300yrd range shooting but tactical and hunting........It did shoot ok at 100yrds today, and was so so at 200.... But what Ive read so far Ill be having a hard time at 300...... I might have to bite the bullet(no pun indtended) and see what I can get it for a trade at my old gun shop and just get the stinking savage!

Dang it I feel stupid

Old 03-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Don't feel stupid. That remington will shoot. If I were going to keep it I would dump the stock for a Bell and Carlson or something along that line.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 AM   #19

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Don't feel stupid. That remington will shoot. If I were going to keep it I would dump the stock for a Bell and Carlson or something along that line.
+ 1 on that. get rid of the factory stock. Bell and Carlson or McMillan A-5. Also, you will probably eventually go there and get a target barrel. Check out Krieger and Bartlien barrels. They're not that much money for what your getting. They both have a 6 to 7 month wait but they help alot for long range accuracy. Myself, I have a #9 (Heavy Target) Krieger ordered for my long range target rifle. Get a oversize recoil lug as well when you change out your factory barrel. If you do order a aftermarket stock you might consider new bottom metal with a detachable magazine. McMillan is geared up to use Badger Ordance bottom metal with detachable magazines that come with (1) 5 round magazine. You can buy extra magazines for about $80.00 or so bucks and the magazines are made by AI. This brand set up is real nice quality. Also you might consider a Timney or Jewell brand trigger. These triggers can be set down to just a few ounces pull weight. They have no creep and break like glass. The newer Remington triggers are pretty good as well and a gunsmith can get the pull weight down pretty low. Remington 700's are like Small Block Chevys. There is more aftermatket parts available for consideralbe less money than most other brands of bolt rifles out there. This is something to consider when deciding to go to another brand of rifle.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-24-2009 at 03:38 AM.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can get that Remington to shoot! Don't despair until you give it a good chance & work up a load for it. Also Remington 700s lend themselves to all kinds of accurizing tricks.