You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

223 mid range shooting or longer Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 223 mid range shooting or longer Advice

Hi there
New to the form looking for some help and advice
Looking at getting into mid range shooting and a bit longer
Looking at a tikka t3 223 varmint heavy barrel 1:8 twist
20" barrel or would i be better of to wait to see if I can get a 24" barrel
Thanks for your help

therewolf Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

Liked 682 Times on 414 Posts

A 24 inch .223 HBAR will likely not give you a huge advantage over a 20". It will also be dang "H" (as in heavy) lol. I personally do not like a muzzle heavy weapon no matter what platform.

I assume that these barrels are SS. I am not familiar with the manufacturer. But a well made 20" SS 1/8 barrel will probably outshoot the shooter more often than not.

So I'd say go with the 20.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

People Like This 
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Liked 4598 Times on 2644 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedcbr6 View Post
Hi there
New to the form looking for some help and advice
Looking at getting into mid range shooting and a bit longer
Looking at a tikka t3 223 varmint heavy barrel 1:8 twist
20" barrel or would i be better of to wait to see if I can get a 24" barrel
Thanks for your help
First off, welcome.

What do you consider mid to long range? What kind of accuracy are you going for? (sub MOA, 1 MOA, etc.)

Tikka and Sako make some very accurate rifles, with some of the most accurate factory barrels I've encountered.

In .223 a 20" or 22" barrel is probably long enough to burn most powders pretty completely in that chambering. If you want to get more out of the round velocity wise, you would need a pretty slow burning powder.

As FrontierTCB already pointed out the longer barrel will really start to make a rifle front heavy once you get into the 24" range and any heavy barreled varmint rifle will already be pretty front heavy to begin with.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5775 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 2781

A 20" barrel is all one needs. For example the competition shooters at the Camp Perry National Matches shoot up to 600 yards with their 20" AR Rifles.
So with the quality of the TIKKA Rifle one should have little difficulty.
When shooting at what one might consider mid or longer ranges like the 600 yards mentioned. Wind and learning to read the wind is the biggest factor when shooting the 223/5.56.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment
People Like This 
Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 AM   #5

Liked 2094 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 921

A 20" barrel will serve you well,but you do give up some velocity over a 24" or 26" barrel.
If it's main purpose is just shooting targets,I prefer as long a barrel as I can get.
I have a 26" barrel on my Savage 12,but I use it for target shooting and varmint hunting off a rest-prone-or off bags. My AR's have 18" and 20" barrels so they are more compact and easier to carry in the field,or hunt out of a blind with.

Tikka makes a great rifle,and a 1-8 twist barrel will allow you to shoot most any bullet from 55 - 80 grain.
My Savage has a 1-9 twist,and will shoot up to 77 gr bullets really well,except for the longer 75 gr Hornady AMax bullets,they need a 1-8 twist to be stabilized good.

Like Sniper said,shooting at longer ranges with a 223 will challenge a shooters skill at reading the wind,but it's one of the cheapest cartridges to learn with.
Don't cheap out on your scope and rings if you want to see clearly at longer ranges,and be able to have an accurate optic that will repeat adjustments when you turn the turrets.
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 752 Times on 448 Posts

BIG HINT: Check the barrel length of the test barrels in the reloading manuals. 223 Winchester is tested in 26-inch barrels, and 5.56 NATO in 20-inch barrels. Reloading manuals are a good way to figure out barrel lengths and twist rates.

So, if your going to shoot 223 go with the longer barrel.

223 and 5.56 aren't the same thing, even though they look a lot alike.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #7

Liked 4685 Times on 2570 Posts
Likes Given: 3346

Welcome to the FTF, from the swamp north of The Swamp.

Respectfully disagreeing with FrontierTCB, but a good bull barrel

will put your .223 in a tight pattern on target. If you hunt varmint,

or want to shoot tight groups, carefully consider a good bull barrel.

kfox75 Likes This