.221 fireball? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .221 fireball?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

Ooh, well I might look into a .22-250 a little more then. It seems like it would be good for coyote out to around 200yards and the taking gophers at maybe 100-150 yards.

I know what you mean about needing ear plugs though. I usually only shoot .22s when I go to the range since that's all I've had up until Saturday, but I've had a couple guys come down with their 250s and wholie thief one loud rifle. It almost feel like you get hit with the sound wave as bad as when my buddy bring his 7mm rem may out.
Take the ranges u said and double them then your in a 250s range
and a 250 with a hp will turn a gopher to mist lol I got mine for shooting goundhogs and other varmints and its one heck of a pair with my savage 110 06 in a groundhog stand if u want to really make a mess

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

and a 250 with a hp will turn a gopher to mist lol I got mine for shooting goundhogs and other varmints and its one heck of a pair with my savage 110 06 in a groundhog stand if u want to really make a mess

Ill put some of my varmint killin toys in the mix and we will have some fun a 250 is prairie rat lethal out to bout 400. Yote lethal out to bout 500. Prairie Tamer.....lethal out to god knows how far)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

That's craziness, I thought that with a fairly small chunk of lead that it would be effected by wind and lose its accuracy/power out past 200 yards pretty quick. I guess I've got to look into it a little more then I was first thinking. Haha

Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
That's craziness, I thought that with a fairly small chunk of lead that it would be effected by wind and lose its accuracy/power out past 200 yards pretty quick. I guess I've got to look into it a little more then I was first thinking. Haha
yes the smaller bullets are affected by the wind, but varmint calibers are helped to offset it some with speed fo the bullet. thats why they have for many, many years tried to get as much speed as possible out of them. a slower small bullet is more affected by wind the same size bullet going faster. therefore more potential accuracy.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yes the smaller bullets are affected by the wind, but varmint calibers are helped to offset it some with speed fo the bullet. thats why they have for many, many years tried to get as much speed as possible out of them. a slower small bullet is more affected by wind the same size bullet going faster. therefore more potential accuracy.
That's very true. I usually end up forgetting about the speed of things and thinking more about the mass of the projectile being fired. Guess I've still got a bit of things to learn. Haha

Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #26

Quote:
That's very true. I usually end up forgetting about the speed of things and thinking more about the mass of the projectile being fired. Guess I've still got a bit of things to learn. Haha
a smaller bullet is still affected by wind even when going faster, but just less affected. this why speed and bullet coefficiency is very important. two bullets with the same weight, the faster and more aerodynamic one will be more accurate in theory.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

a smaller bullet is still affected by wind even when going faster, but just less affected. this why speed and bullet coefficiency is very important. two bullets with the same weight, the faster and more aerodynamic one will be more accurate in theory.
Well I knew the more aerodynamic one would win out on being more accurate. But i always forget to take bullet speed into the equation a lot of the times.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #28

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

The only bad thing about varmint rounds is if u hit a small stick your bullet goes off track or shatters cuz there going so fast

Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Well I knew the more aerodynamic one would win out on being more accurate. But i always forget to take bullet speed into the equation a lot of the times.
like i said in theory. when you reload your own, not always is the faster loads the more accurate, sometimes they are, but not always. every rifle will shoot different. go to a store and buy ten brand new rifles of exactly the same brand, type and caliber, and everyone of them will shoot differently and some will be way more accurate than the others. this is why when you handload your own ammo, you can match it and fine tune it to your particular rifle. when i reload, my main goal is accuracy. i just don't hunt anymore and do much more target shooting, so all mine have to do is go through a paper target. i don't go for the fastest, just the more accurate load. but with that said, most of any of my rifles could be used at anytime for hunting with the loads i make for them.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The only bad thing about varmint rounds is if u hit a small stick your bullet goes off track or shatters cuz there going so fast

That's probably a bonus. You wouldn't have to worry about where the round is going near as much as I it was a normal bullet. But would still suck missing a nice coyote all because of some silly stick. Haha

Quote:

like i said in theory. when you reload your own, not always is the faster loads the more accurate, sometimes they are, but not always. every rifle will shoot different. go to a store and buy ten brand new rifles of exactly the same brand, type and caliber, and everyone of them will shoot differently and some will be way more accurate than the others. this is why when you handload your own ammo, you can match it and fine tune it to your particular rifle. when i reload, my main goal is accuracy. i just don't hunt anymore and do much more target shooting, so all mine have to do is go through a paper target. i don't go for the fastest, just the more accurate load. but with that said, most of any of my rifles could be used at anytime for hunting with the loads i make for them.
Oh I know, that's was one of the reason I was looking into reloading since I always thought my first rifle would of been either an SKS or something chambered in .223. I never really thought that I would be to into hunting anything other then the odd bunch of gophers at times. I'm also one of those people who like to push a bullet as far out as I can to see how my accuracy would be with it.