220 Swift Anyone? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 220 Swift Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Primer is not accurate at all. I have loads well within specs in SAMMI standard chambers that look like I am running 10k psi over max. I have some special loads that are over book max in SAMMI min spec chambers and tight necks and they show no signs of pressure at all.

So no primers not very good indicators.

RCBS has the X die that is supposed to stop brass flow. I don't know cause I don't use them.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #22

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Gun07 so true. I can always tell the guys who hang out in gun shops and get bad information. These fellows who do not undertstand the relation of pockets, flash holes chamber to case wall friction head space etc. and decide that a flat primer idicates pressures is asking for problems.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #23

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Gun07 so true. I can always tell the guys who hang out in gun shops and get bad information. These fellows who do not undertstand the relation of pockets, flash holes chamber to case wall friction head space etc. and decide that a flat primer idicates pressures is asking for problems.
l see this is going no were, and for you to make assumption that l got all my information hanging out in a gun shop and getting bad lnfo. leave me to wonder as to how much both of you know, seems like like you quoting from a text book of some sort, or getting you info on line.
l have competed for 3 years 1976-78-79 in Internationale Bench shooting in N.J.and PA still have some REM.40XBBRS W24X scopes and 2oz triggers,and what l learned was at the range, from people who perfected 22PPC and the 6MMPPC and other new cartridges at that time. And there names are in the record books IBRSA and to say primers means nothing makes me wonder, oh and by today's standards my target guns are $2,500+ each and l still load them the same now as l did then.
With this if this is all l,m going to learn from this web site, l will bid you all
fare well and Happy Shooting. And don't worry about the primers they don't do to much in reloading there just there to keep the power from falling out from the back of the case
lefty2

Last edited by lefty2; 11-09-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #24

There is a difference in attending matches and being a serious shooter. Bragging on how much your rifle cost? Really! If you want to discuss reloading for the Swift bring along some useful information.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Guys there is no reason to bicker realoading has all kinds of variables and different opinions information is your friend lefty was just trying to help the info he gave us is to say that he has done it for awhile and he has experience thats all I shoot savage rifles and have a couple of remingtons and I reload for almost ten years info is best and on sights you need to becarfull what you use good places also are www.6mmbr.com ,target shooter magazine with Laure Holland presision shooter and you will find out and confirm allot of information that you hear. the flowing of the case can also be slowed down by akley improving it do your home work and check it out .

Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #26

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
There is a difference in attending matches and being a serious shooter. Bragging on how much your rifle cost? Really! If you want to discuss reloading for the Swift bring along some useful information.
You seen to have trouble reading what l post or say, and see only what you want to see, did you not see the paragraph were l sad l have competed.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #27

Cbibb why would I rechamber a rifle to a an ancient Ackley Wildcat? All this to get extra case life? When the facts are much of the brass flow is in the resizing of the case during reloading. I will change out brass before I rechamber or rebarrel and buy custom dies. The resale of rifles in these old Wild Cats is terrible.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I totally agree about the wild cat this wasn't a suggestion just stating an option that's all I also like the keep it simple method my self. I own one wild cat a 6/284 in a 40x the barrel is shot out so Im going to either go to a 284 or a 308 just for the keep it simple cause I have 800 pieces of unsized 284 so all set for brass and 308 has countless options I know other guys that own nothing but wild cats and they go through allot to form cases.As fare as resale of wildcats your right to a degree depends on wild cat and who your around allot of bench rest shooters and p-dog hunters love wild cats right person right time sells anything kind of like left handed guns took me two years to sell.