220 Swift Anyone? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 220 Swift Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I've never owned one but all of my shooting friends that have them love them. A bit touchy if you reload, be careful with the cases. Another great round is the 22-250 Ackley Improved. Pretty much an equal to the Swift. So many choices!! So hard to make!
Why is the .220 Swift a "bit touchy" for reloading?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #12

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Yes I have loaded 1,000s of Swift what is touchy about them? The Swift case is the off spring of the 1898 6MM Lee Navy Straight Pull rifle. This case has a long history of use. The .22 WOS became the Swift for the most part after 1937 in the then new Mdl. 70 Winchester. The .22 Woytkins Orginal Swift dates to the 1920s.

Jerry Gebbie a California Wild Cat Ctg. shooter invented the .22 Gebbie Varmint in 1953. Remington picked it up as the .22-250. The .22-250 was a better paper Ctg. than was the .220 Swift. The .22-250 was never able to over come the Swift among the Long Range varmint shooters. The Swift like the 30-06, 45-70, .45 ACP has been declared dead many times. But it seems to rise from the ashes with every new generation of Rifleman.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #13

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
Why is the .220 Swift a "bit touchy" for reloading?
Maybe that wasn't the best choice in words. From what I have heard from the guys I know that have these and reload for them is that you need to stay away from full length resizing of the case and if possible just use a neck sizer. Seems to extend case life. I know all cases can and will stretch but I've always read, heard and been told the Swift is more known for it.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #14

In reloading for accuracy a case is fire formed to the rifle chamber. Once the case is formed to the chamber the reloader keeps this demension by using a neck size die only.
In any Ctg. neck sizing can extend case life by reduceing brass flow away from the case web. This is not unique to the Swift it is just advanced reloading.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #15

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Na you just need to know how to anneal the case.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #16

Brass should be anealed before the first fire form. This will allow a better neck and shoulder flow in the forward chamber. Rule of thumb says a case may need to be anealed after the 3rd loading. A prime idicator of hard necks is a chirpping sound when you back the expander button off.

A case can be anealed by setting a deprimed case in water that extends to a point just below the shoulder. The neck and shoulder can be heated to a bright red and quinched in the water. I cast bullets so I use the hot lead process where the neck and shoulder are held in 800 degree lead. This gives a very even heat. There are many ways to soften necks. Anealing is only one step in proper case care.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #17

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
I was thinking 220, 204 Ruger, or 223 WSSM. I'll check out those other rounds though.
Half the fun of getting a new or an other gun is trying to figuring out which one and what caliber and will it do what l want it to do. Buy doing research you will gain a wealth of information, have fun and post as to that you end up with.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #18

l hear every one talking about what to do with a case, does any one either inside neck ream or out side neck turning a case l know l do, l in side neck ream. The primer gives me an indication as to if there is something going on, and if it didn't look right and l didn't change my load and if the expander button is tight
that means brass flow and there is no other way to cure or fix this problem other then reaming or turning; l learned this the had way; l was flattering primers and had excess pressure l was new to this game of reloading in the early 70s so after a half dozens reloads of the 22-250 l chucked 100 shell figured that was the life of the case, some one l new at the range picked up the brass and asked if he could take them l told him they were no good and what the problem was. Next weekend he hand me a box of 22-250 with the same load that l had use and sad try them, worked fine l told him, his reply was that's your old brass all l did was neck ream them.
l made a call to RCBS and ordered 22-250 neck reaming dies and still have them and that guy gave me the other 75 cases and you can do the rest. There was on googling back then. READ BOOKS AND ASK QUESTIONS STILL WORKS TODAY.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #19

Reaming IDs is for reforming brass from other cases. Yes you can turn the OD on necks and trim away length flow. Just remember that brass you are turning off the necks came from some where? The brass flows from the web. Each time you trim and turn you finish with a case that is now thinner in the web or case support area. It is very common after a few of these trim and turns to blow a case. The incipient separation occurs above the web. This often results in a ruined chamber. You need to use a wire to probe the inside of the case for cracks. Do I think runing on worn brass in a $1,000 dollar rifle is worth $10 bucks worth of brass not in my world. If you think you can read pressure problems by looking at flat primers you need to read more.

Last edited by nitestalker; 11-07-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Reaming IDs is for reforming brass from other cases. Yes you can turn the OD on necks and trim away length flow. Just remember that brass you are turning off the necks came from some where? The brass flows from the web. Each time you trim and turn you finish with a case that is now thinner in the web or case support area. It is very common after a few of these trim and turns to blow a case. The incipient separation occurs above the web. This often results in a ruined chamber. You need to use a wire to probe the inside of the case for cracks. Do I think runing on worn brass in a $1,000 dollar rifle is worth $10 bucks worth of brass not in my world. If you think you can read pressure problems by looking at flat primers you need to read more.
You seen to be missing my point, there is something more to be done in reloading if your going to get in the game, l just bough out an other aspect,your primer is a key indicator if there is something going on, do a little reading.