You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Which .22 LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default Which .22 LR

I have a friend whose son is on the hunter's safety shooting team at his high school. He needs a good .22 LR rifle to compete with. The rules of the competition state that it has to weigh less than 8.5 lbs and have either V, U, or square notch sights and be a configuration similar to a hunting rifle (I.E. No ARs). It also must have at least a 2 pound trigger so we agreed to try for a little more than 2 pound trigger to avoid differences in pull scales if they check the trigger weight.
He set a budget around the $400 mark. The rifle will be used to shoot bullseye ringed paper targets from prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing positions.
What do the professionals and sharp shooters on FTF recommend? As long as it meets the above criteria the anything will be considered.
Thanks y'all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3856 Times on 2118 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Savage MKII G, Ruger American bolt, Marlin XT22, just about any bolt action with iron sights Most of the heavy barreled rifles in your price range dont have irons. Grabagun has a CZ455 Lux for just under $400. http://grabagun.com/cz-usa-02101-cz455-lux-22lr.html

Last edited by JTJ; 02-06-2015 at 12:22 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #3

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

I'm not a professional sharp shooter nor have I ever played one on TV, but I had a Savage MkII TR.

The Savage AccuTrigger is VERY nice and the MkIIs are VERY accurate. The magazines are a bit funky.

The Ruger American uses a better magazine, you can get them in clear plastic and see the rounds left in them, there are speed loaders for it, and it fits flush with the bottom of the forearm so you can use skeletal support posture when standing if you like. It also provides adaptors for different length of pull and comb stocks. I never fired one.

Marlin has a tube feed model which would allow you to shoot any .22 ammo you come across, longs, long rifle, or shorts. Never fired a Marlin either.

The CZ allows you to change the barrel to a .17 if you'd like. It also was nicer finished than the Savage. I liked the Savage trigger better though.

I'd talk to the shooting team officials at the school to see what the most of the other students are using and why.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzandgears View Post
I have a friend whose son is on the hunter's safety shooting team at his high school. He needs a good .22 LR rifle to compete with. The rules of the competition state that it has to weigh less than 8.5 lbs and have either V, U, or square notch sights and be a configuration similar to a hunting rifle (I.E. No ARs). It also must have at least a 2 pound trigger so we agreed to try for a little more than 2 pound trigger to avoid differences in pull scales if they check the trigger weight.
He set a budget around the $400 mark. The rifle will be used to shoot bullseye ringed paper targets from prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing positions.
What do the professionals and sharp shooters on FTF recommend? As long as it meets the above criteria the anything will be considered.
Thanks y'all.
Don't you just HATE those nasty AR's ???

Anyway, 2 lbs is actually rather lite -- 20 ounces is more typical.

Less than 2lbs would be unsafe.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

Without going hog wild on a super adjustable rear sight, this configuration should work for him/you.

Last edited by Shoobee; 02-06-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I'm not a professional sharp shooter nor have I ever played one on TV, but I had a Savage MkII TR.

The Savage AccuTrigger is VERY nice and the MkIIs are VERY accurate. The magazines are a bit funky.

The Ruger American uses a better magazine, you can get them in clear plastic and see the rounds left in them, there are speed loaders for it, and it fits flush with the bottom of the forearm so you can use skeletal support posture when standing if you like. It also provides adaptors for different length of pull and comb stocks. I never fired one.

Marlin has a tube feed model which would allow you to shoot any .22 ammo you come across, longs, long rifle, or shorts. Never fired a Marlin either.

The CZ allows you to change the barrel to a .17 if you'd like. It also was nicer finished than the Savage. I liked the Savage trigger better though.

I'd talk to the shooting team officials at the school to see what the most of the other students are using and why.
The Savage Mark II TR is drilled and tapped for a scope.

No iron sights on it.

ERGO NOT APPLICABLE.

There are other Savage Mark II's which do have iron sights on them.

They are bolt action rifles however.

Shooting 22's is much more enjoyable if they are semi auto's.

If the club requires bolt actions, then you're stuck with it.

Otherwise I would recommend a semi auto 22LR like the Rugers.

Last edited by Shoobee; 02-06-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The Savage Mark II TR is drilled and tapped for a scope.

No iron sights on it.

ERGO NOT APPLICABLE.

Q.E.D.
??? Not all MkIIs are TRs. There's about two dozen of them. More than a couple have notch sights.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
??? Not all MkIIs are TRs. There's about two dozen of them. More than a couple have notch sights.
You still have that unwanted bolt action on them though.

On a 22LR a bolt action is a huge pain and completely unwarranted.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I agree that auto are more fun. My 10/22 is the best thing to shoot I've ever had. But I've been told for years that autos are less accurate. Is that true?
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #9

Liked 914 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Do some shopping around you could mabe find a uaed Marlin model 2000

http://www.gunlistings.org/florida-gun-classifieds/tampa_bay_area/rifles/52090/marlin_competition_target_rifle_22lr

http://www.chuckhawks.com/first_rifle.htm

Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzandgears View Post
I agree that auto are more fun. My 10/22 is the best thing to shoot I've ever had. But I've been told for years that autos are less accurate. Is that true?
I don't know about other semis, but my 10/22 wasn't anywhere near as accurate as my bolt MKII.

If the competition is bullseye it's likely to be slow fire. Semi and bolt are different kinds of shooting. If you'd want to put 5 rounds through one hole, go bolt. If you want to hit a dozen cans, at different ranges, one after the other, go semi.

At our club, the sporter rifle and pistol competitions are single shot procedure. Perhaps the HS team also requires a single shot protocol? You might want to check on this. It would affect your rifle choice. Some are hard to load single shot.
People Like This