.22 Hornet .vs. .223 Remington - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

.22 Hornet .vs. .223 Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 280 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I have very limited experience with the Marlin bolt actions but the few I have shot were pretty nice rifles. Personally I would save up and look at on of the Savage combos http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ . They are a lot of Rifle for the money. Also don't forget pawnshops and the used rack. A buddy bought a Ruger M77 22-250 with a bull barrel and a 50mm VarixIII Target Scope for $575 last week. Deals like that are not common but are out there so saving a nice bank roll and shopping can and does pay off.
I'd love to find a deal like that. Hopefully I can get a much higher quality rifle in the future but a Marlin or Savage will do for now.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #82
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
That's what I was thinking would be best. Thanks for all of the info and for being so helpful.
you're welcome. that's the whole purpose of this forum. to share information.

in all fairness, there were lots of good suggestions made for you to consider. as far as what is best, that is purely subjective in relation to your own budget, needs and wants and what appeals to you.

i am looking forward to seeing what you decide to get though!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #83

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
I'd love to find a deal like that. Hopefully I can get a much higher quality rifle in the future but a Marlin or Savage will do for now.
There is not a thing in the world with Marlin or Savage. I am somewhat of a glass whore so plan on spending more on your mounts and scope than the rifle. I have been known to mount a $600 scope and set of rings on a $150 H&R Handi -Rifle.

Edit: Please let us know what you get and I hope I was some help.

Last edited by nchunt101; 05-07-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #84

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
There is not a thing in the world with Marlin or Savage. I am somewhat of a glass whore so plan on spending more on your mounts and scope than the rifle. I have been known to mount a $600 scope and set of rings on a $150 H&R Handi -Rifle.

I know what you mean. I've got $2k scopes on a few rifles that didn't cost 1/4 of the glass. If you can't see it,you can't hit it!
North American Hunting Club
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 AM   #85

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really a scope expert either, especially not really high dollar ones. You're advice makes total sense about the scope being more important, but I'm a sucker for the look and feel of Winchester and Browning rifles.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #86

I'll definitely update on what I end up with. I've almost got the money together, do hopefully it will happen soon. I'm kind of a slow, careful shopper though so it's hard to say whether I'll buy new or wait for a good deal on a higher end rifle.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #87

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I know what you mean. I've got $2k scopes on a few rifles that didn't cost 1/4 of the glass. If you can't see it,you can't hit it!
Thank God I don't do long range and just hunt. I would be destitute if I had to buy competition glass/rings.
People Like This 
Old 05-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #88

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some very good advice here; .223, Savage, Laminated stock, GOOD SCOPE!!!!
If you have an accurate rifle regardless of the cost and mount a cheap scope on it you are wasting time and money.
Save up, chose carefully and don't follow the 'flavour of the month' trend. ie 1st focal plane, fussy tactical reticle, massive zoom (20x+) etc.
A max 12 power scope is fine for a .223. A Vortex, Nikon or Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with parallax adjustment is fine.
It is better to have a lower power with better optics and be able to see the target than to have a super high power scope and not be able to make out what you are looking at. Ive shot dozens of foxes with a fixed 10 power scope.
Now Ive got a $450 Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 50 on my .223 and it is just great, clarity to die for and a practical reticle (zplex).
The .223 when sighted properly and not used beyond 300yds doesn't really need a bullet drop compensator reticle. Just sight it as per Chuck Hawks (Google it) suggestion with a rise and fall from muzzle to 230yds of no more than 1.5".Than puts the bullet in the vital area of most small to medium varmints.
Have fun.
You Americans have it all over us here in Australia with the choice, range and ease of obtaining a good rifle.

Last edited by hybridfiat; 06-08-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
If you have an accurate rifle regardless of the cost and mount a cheap scope on it you are wasting time and money.
Save up, chose carefully and don't follow the 'flavour of the month' trend. ie 2nd focal plane, fussy tactical reticle, massive zoom (20x+) etc.
A max 12 power scope is fine for a .223. A Vortex, Nikon or Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with parallax adjustment is fine.
It is better to have a lower power with better optics and be able to see the target than to have a super high power scope and not be able to make out what you are looking at. Ive shot dozens of foxes with a fixed 10 power scope.
Now Ive got a $450 Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 50 on my .223 and it is just great, clarity to die for and a practical reticle (zplex).
The .223 when sighted properly and not used beyond 300yds doesn't really need a bullet drop compensator reticle. Just sight it as per Chuck Hawks (Google it) suggestion with a rise and fall from muzzle to 230yds of no more than 1.5".Than puts the bullet in the vital area of most small to medium varmints.
Have fun.
You Americans have it all over us here in Australia with the choice, range and ease of obtaining a good rifle.
Thanks for the advice on the scopes, I'm really not that experienced with them.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #90

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
Save up, chose carefully and don't follow the 'flavour of the month' trend. ie 2nd focal plane, fussy tactical reticle, massive zoom (20x+) etc.
Have fun.
If it were to be a dedicated hunting only rifle,a 12x max power would be fine,but if you are wanting to small varmints,or longer ranges and do it with precision,I wouldn't limit myself to a 12x scope. But,I also wouldn't buy a cheap scope either.
If you handload,you can make a cheap rifle shoot good,but you can't make a cheap scope perform better than what it's made with!

I have 6-24x optics on both my 223's,and they work great for any type of shooting/hunting I do with them.
North American Hunting Club