.22 Hornet .vs. .223 Remington - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .22 Hornet .vs. .223 Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Its a custom deal. Necked down 6mm. They sell resizing dies to make brass from a 6mm. I think it's shooting a 80 grain .224 bullet at over 4000fps...I think.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #112

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

.256 Win and 6mm TCU are not mainstream, but aren't rare in the TC Contender ranks.
Why, a couple of yrs ago my dad bought a .256 Win TC Custom shop Contender rifle, with Fajen left hand stock..............AND a 7mm TCU Stainless pistol, at one gunshow.

MY old hunting buddy runs a G2 in 6MM TCU and loves it on PDs.
But he runs a .357 Max for deer.

Puny, the .256............but it makes our state's deer limit in handgun form, so I might snag the old man's custom Super 14" and pop a deer with it (yup, he has rifle and pistol in it- still has never bought a Ruger Hawkeye).

Now I kinda sorta do want to pop something with my dad's TC rifle in .256.........but the stock is for a lefty. So I might have to use his Ruger #3 in .219 Donaldson Wasp until I find a stock.

Have used .243 Win in various rigs for decades on chucks and it's awesome, but I don't need that much oomph and smaller/lighter and more pretty rifles are catching my fancy.

Last edited by Hookeye; 05-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #113
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Uh, I was talking to the OP about odd stuff for MY rifle (since he was thinking .22 Hornet to be a bit different).

And...........I don't know of any serious varminter that shoots factory ammo.
both are great calibers if you reload, but as the OP doesn't yet reload, they wouldn't be practical for him, was the point i was making.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #114
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjcl View Post
First, the Marlin x7, based on the XL7 and the XS7, has a reputation as "a very accurate budget bolt action rifle" and well received by the shooting public. As far as the Mossberg ATR, again a "good budget rifle, with nice accuracy" Now, I am not wanting to talk trash about faults of anyone’s toys. So, I will leave the opinions about the bolt problems on the X7 to the people who have owned an X7 and have expressed those opinions. And I will do the same with the XTR on its feed issues and trigger assemblies.

The current quality issues that Remington has been working through (and Marlin) are, I personally believe, based in the management of these companies by their parent company, Freedom Group, and its business strategy.

You seem to be quite pleased with your Marlins and your Mossberg. Great, I am truly happy you find them to be exactly what you desire. I have shot the Marlin x7 in .270, and though seemed to have the accuracy to me, I did not like the light weight.
well as you did open that door, lets please discuss the faults you seem to have with them. please don't be shy, or feel you are going to hurt my feelings.

now, as they are considered a budget or entry level rifle, IMO, there isn't much that is really budget about the X7's except for the price. are they perfect? nope. but then again, i paid about $370 for my XS7VH in 308, about $390 for my XL7C in 25-06 and about $360 for my XS7 in 7mm-08. now if i spent twice or three times that, my expectations would be much higher. but all in all, all three of my X7's have truly exceeded my expectations as far as accuracy, function, fit an finish, and features for the dollar amount spent.

the biggest problem i found with the X7's were the flimsy fore ends. but in all honesty, i have seen the same issue with many other brands of rifles with factory synthetic stocks, including Remingtons and Winchesters. so this is not just isolated to the X7's from what i have seen. less than $20 fixed two of mine an the other one got a Boyd's laminated stock because of some future mods i have planned for it.

and if you wish to discuss the faults you think the Marlins have, then please lets stick to facts or things you can prove and not the internet rumors and myths that float around about some rifles or brands.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #115

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I choose a caliber for the game I will use it on.
Many States do not allow 22 caliber bullets on deer. I have a 223 H&R and limit my shots to 100 yards with partition bullets and have had good luck.
My 50 cal. ML does a faster job with 250 grain bullets which may be a statement of caliber size as it travels around 1400/ sec and has ~ 1400 ft/#at 100 yards and a 1/2 inch hole in the beast.
For coyotes and other game that size the 223 is more than adequate..
If your State forbids 22 cal on deer the 243 would be a better choice.
The 223 with a 55 grain bullet zeroed at 200 yards will have a high point of 1.4 inches at 140 yards and at 250 yards it will be 2.6 inches low. Essentially point of aim within these distances. My conditions are 3200 feet elevation, 55 degrees. The energy is approximate 1000 ft/#
The rifle you choose should give you a minute of accuracy (1 inch at 100 yards) +2.5 inches at 250 yards. This would be more than adequate for most hunting unless ground hogs past 150 yards.
Also note that elevation is rather constant BUT wind can be a real problem and heavy fast bullets are affected less.
If you are a good marksman and can live with a single shot, you may want to consider a H&R with 2 sets of barrels 223 and 308 which would cover almost all game East of the Mississippi and would be less than your $500.
Just some of my thoughts from a one shot one kill guy( not sniper trained)

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.