Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   .22 Hornet .vs. .223 Remington (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/22-hornet-vs-223-remington-106756/)

Winchester94 05-05-2014 12:10 AM

.22 Hornet .vs. .223 Remington

I'm think of getting a bolt action in one of these calibers. I'd like to use it for coyote and just a general shooter. Shooting these types of rifles are gonna be a new thing too me, nearly all of my rifle shooting experience is with leveractions at about 100 yards. I like traditional, blued, wooden stocked rifles but I'm open to trying more modern types. My max shooting distance around here will probably be 200-250 yards. I can only spend around $500.
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

John_Deer 05-05-2014 12:28 AM

You can find an AR15 for just a little more than $500. I have been seeing S&W M&P sport for under $600 all over the place.

Rocky7 05-05-2014 12:41 AM

Since the OP mentioned bolt actions, I think an AR is not in the picture.

For the money you have to spend, I'd take a hard look at a Savage .223 and put a Bushnell Legend HD scope on it. The total will be a tad over $500 but you'll have a very decent scope and the most accurate ugly rifle that's ever been made. Seriously, those Savage rifles are as plain as a board fence but they do shoot small groups as a rule - and can be had with wood stocks.

huffmanite 05-05-2014 12:49 AM

If I were you, I'd consider only the 223. Reason being, if you do not reload, then availability of various kinds of .223 ammo greatly outweighs that of the 22 hornet. Will not get into the ballistics and ect. of each cartridge. While I do not hunt, just shoot paper, I do own both cartridges. Have a hoot shooting my 22 hornet rifle (a custom rifle), but do enjoy my .223 too....I do reload both.

Suggest you check out the Marlin X rifle in .223. Don't own one in this cartridge, but do own several other Marlin X rifles in other cartridges and consider them very decent low cost rifles. Do know a gent at range I'm a member with the Marlin X .223 and he is quite pleased with the rifle.

Mercator 05-05-2014 12:53 AM

By going with the 223 you will make your shooting life easier. For under $500 you can have a Savage with the adjustable AccuTrigger, the best trigger system for the money. Model 25 has a lighter bolt action than the multi caliber Hunter model line. It also has the 60 degree bolt throw angle, like the much more expensive Brownings and Tikkas. That means more clearance for a low mounted scope. The stock is laminated wood, pretty handsome.

I've seen the Tikka Lite Hunters advertised for $499. The bolt action is colonoscopy grade slick. The bolt is also sleeved and turns 70 degrees AFAIR. You may or may not get wood for this price.

Winchester94 05-05-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1570259)
You can find an AR15 for just a little more than $500. I have been seeing S&W M&P sport for under $600 all over the place.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not really an AR guy.

Winchester94 05-05-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky7 (Post 1570264)
Since the OP mentioned bolt actions, I think an AR is not in the picture.

For the money you have to spend, I'd take a hard look at a Savage .223 and put a Bushnell Legend HD scope on it. The total will be a tad over $500 but you'll have a very decent scope and the most accurate ugly rifle that's ever been made. Seriously, those Savage rifles are as plain as a board fence but they do shoot small groups as a rule - and can be had with wood stocks.

Are you referring to the Axis or are other models available for not much more?

Pasquanel 05-05-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winchester94 (Post 1570245)
I'm think of getting a bolt action in one of these calibers. I'd like to use it for coyote and just a general shooter. Shooting these types of rifles are gonna be a new thing too me, nearly all of my rifle shooting experience is with leveractions at about 100 yards. I like traditional, blued, wooden stocked rifles but I'm open to trying more modern types. My max shooting distance around here will probably be 200-250 yards. I can only spend around $500.
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

If 200/250 yards go with the .223

Winchester94 05-05-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffmanite (Post 1570265)
If I were you, I'd consider only the 223. Reason being, if you do not reload, then availability of various kinds of .223 ammo greatly outweighs that of the 22 hornet. Will not get into the ballistics and ect. of each cartridge. While I do not hunt, just shoot paper, I do own both cartridges. Have a hoot shooting my 22 hornet rifle (a custom rifle), but do enjoy my .223 too....I do reload both.

Suggest you check out the Marlin X rifle in .223. Don't own one in this cartridge, but do own several other Marlin X rifles in other cartridges and consider them very decent low cost rifles. Do know a gent at range I'm a member with the Marlin X .223 and he is quite pleased with the rifle.

I've heard good things about the Marlin, I may have to look into one. I figured .223 would be more common but I was thinking of trying somethings different. How would a .22-250 compare?

Winchester94 05-05-2014 01:20 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm not including a scope in that price, I've already got one to put on it.