Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   22-250 vs. 223 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/22-250-vs-223-a-88898/)

ExpressMagnum 04-16-2013 12:33 AM

22-250 vs. 223
 
I'm really thinking about buying a new TC Venture Predator in 22-250 or 223. These are fantastic firearms and calibers but its going to be my coyote/predator rifle. What would you say is better and why, which is faster, flatter, and more accurate ?

SSGN_Doc 04-16-2013 12:40 AM

.22-250 is faster and flatter. Both are very accurate rounds. .223 is usually cheaper and easier to find, gentler on barrels and has enough reach for the shots I'm willing to take. .223 also does less pelt damage if that is a factor.

If you want to reach farther, and liquify insides, then the .22-250 is your Huckleberry.

Axxe55 04-16-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExpressMagnum (Post 1215137)
I'm really thinking about buying a new TC Venture Predator in 22-250 or 223. These are fantastic firearms and calibers but its going to be my coyote/predator rifle. What would you say is better and why, which is faster, flatter, and more accurate ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1215148)
.22-250 is faster and flatter. Both are very accurate rounds. .223 is usually cheaper and easier to find, gentler on barrels and has enough reach for the shots I'm willing to take. .223 also does less pelt damage if that is a factor.

If you want to reach farther, and liquify insides, then the .22-250 is your Huckleberry.

i agree with Doc on this, but will also add this for consideration. going with the 223 would also allow you greater factory ammo selection than the 22-250 if you don't reload. if you reload, then IMO it could be a toss-up.

jpattersonnh 04-16-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1215148)
.22-250 is faster and flatter. Both are very accurate rounds. .223 is usually cheaper and easier to find, gentler on barrels and has enough reach for the shots I'm willing to take. .223 also does less pelt damage if that is a factor.

If you want to reach farther, and liquify insides, then the .22-250 is your Huckleberry.

As stated .22-250 is faster and flatter, shoots further accurately. As far as pelt damage that all depends on the bullet and range. Out to 300 yards, the .223 is great w/ the appropriate bullet. You need to weigh the advantage of distance compared w/ barrel life. I like the .223. If I want further I'll take out a .308.
Reloading sure helps.

Axxe55 04-16-2013 01:08 AM

reloading offers so many more options. not just bullet weights, but powder selection and tuning the ammo to that particular rifle. i second JP's suggestion of reloading.

ExpressMagnum 04-16-2013 01:17 AM

I think I'm going with the 22-250 because I can get the ammo no problem but could I liquify and snipe a mountain lion in az.with a 22-250? .223 ammo is a bad situation and 223 is selling for double because they can

SSGN_Doc 04-16-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExpressMagnum (Post 1215210)
I think I'm going with the 22-250 because I can get the ammo no problem but could I liquify and snipe a mountain lion in az.with a 22-250? .223 ammo is a bad situation and 223 is selling for double because they can

Have to see what the rules are on mountain lions. I would think they would be hard to get a long range shot on. And getting close to mountain lions isn't on my list of things to do.. They are usually pretty big and I would think I'd step up to a heavier caliber for them because I'd want the penetration on the thicker hides and bones. .243 or .308 would be what I would be thinking.

A .223 with heavy bullets would probably work. Finding a .22-250 barrel with a fast enough twist to stabilize heavier bullets is pretty hard to find, and the light bullets traveling as fast as they do out of the .22-250 would be likely to come apart on contact and only make shallow wounds.

ExpressMagnum 04-16-2013 02:08 AM

The TC I like comes with a 1;12twist is that good for long range shots, and how far. If u were to get it would u want a 223 or 22-250 to hunt with ?

jpattersonnh 04-16-2013 02:30 AM

Neither. You're talking a big cat. I would step up to .308 and 165gr. Rule is, if it can bite or mame, go bigger. When you hunt a predator, don't try and cheap out. I'd look at a .270, 6.5x55, .308, or step up to a small mag.

SSGN_Doc 04-16-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExpressMagnum (Post 1215242)
The TC I like comes with a 1;12twist is that good for long range shots, and how far. If u were to get it would u want a 223 or 22-250 to hunt with ?

I like both rounds. I use a .223 for coyotes, bobcats, etc. I don't take shots at such small critters much at any ranges exceeding 300 yds, just to be more sure of a humane shot.

I have blasted crows out to 600 yds with a .22-250, but they are thin skinned and I was just showing off for a bet. As said, I would be reluctant to pick the .22-250 for a big cat because of the limits of the twist rate requiring lighter bullets to be used. They will reach out there just fine, but performance on game is going to be best kept to small thin skinned critters, like coyotes and smaller. Again, at those ranges I want to be sure of a hit. I CAN make hits but I like the insurance of keeping my shots a bit closer, so I don't have to track down a wounded animal that has a big head start on me. The 1:12 twist isn't going to stabilize bullets heavier than about 62 gr. reliably.

So, it will really depend on your most common prey, and how you hunt. A .243 would give you an option to use light bullets for thin skinned animals and still give you some punch at range with some of the heavier offerings. A .308 would be overkill for 'yotes and bobcats, but if going for dangerous game I would look to something like a .308 if you are going to be taking long shots, or something fast, and handy with some punch like an SKS or a AK, or a .30-30, .35 Rem if you are getting in close.

I have heard of some folks trapping mountain lions, and my Brother-in-law helped track and dispatch a known livestock killing cougar, ( he used a Marlin .336 in .35 Rem for that one, but they were in brushy hill country and his shot was inside 50 yards according to his recount of the events).

When I hunt coyotes I usually am walking form one likely area and calling for a while. Then I will move to another area and call for a while. Most of the time I am trying to call them inside of 200 yds before I take a shot. a .223 with 68 gr bullets is pretty effective. So portability and accuracy are my main desires. The rest of my effort is trying to coax the predators into my desired range. Makes for more of a challenge to me.

I guess it's a long way of saying, you may need two tools for what could really be two different jobs. Or you need to compromise on one end or the other. Overkill for 'yotes or underkill for cougars.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.