Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 22-250?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I owned a ruger 77 in 22-250. I had a 6.5 x 20 leopold on it and it and the varmiter barrel. It was the most accurate rifle I ever owned.I went through a stage where I was going to shoot coyotes for there hides. The 22-250 is not good for that. It makes holes to big in the hides. It vaprized gophers and was deadly on the coyotes.
I have prefered remingtons most of my life but never owned one in a varmit caliber. Back when I bought the ruger new it was a lot cheaper and I had shot my cousins.
My coyote hide hunting adventures came and went and I peddled the gun off being as I had no useful purpose for it besides a pricey tack driver
I would not rule out a ruger if i were you.
But like said already there are some good choices I just wanted to add my two cents on the ruger.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Lots of good info above...I'll add just a cpl general notes.

A Savage....with a mighty little amt of effort is,for all practical purposes as close to a factory "switch brrl" as you're gonna get(on a budget)....not sayin you're gonna "need" that,but it is viable choice.

Next is another,"may" not need it but will throw it out there.....a SS brrl/action,mounted in a composite stock allows you to quickly and efficiently cool the brrl with water.You take a Gott cooler and get a pce of tubing that fits the "spout",remove bolt and run water inside brrl to cool it.We've been known to turn garden hoses on them.......Do some research on this,its done more frequently than you might think.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

You might also consider the .243 Win.

I have a Rem 700VS in .243 Win I use as my go to coyote gun.(75 grn V-MAX -3580 FPS, handload)

You can get bullets from 52 grn to I think as high as 110 grn, so you can load for many different applications.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

257 Weatherby

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #25

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have used the SX Bullets on Bob Cats a thin skinned kitty. The SX would seldom exit the cats. I use the .220 Swift with .224 FMJs which works very well. These super .22s can be loaded to give you the results you need. It stands to reason a Prairie Dog load would not work well on a fur bearer.